Neil Young Archives - Forthcoming Physical Release Information & Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Or the excellent reissues that can often be found on sale in the $20 range here in Canada. In fact the 2018 reissue of Reactor is on Amazon.ca right now for $19.52 Canadian and Hawks & Doves is $24.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The record collector dork in me loves that Neil has used a scan of the craptastic original “cover art” of the Dorothy Chandler album, complete with authentic period ringwear.

3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just pre ordered all three on Amazon.ca for $29 Canadian each. That's pretty good for quality vinyl these days.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

For anyone who has heard the Dorothy and Royce (presumably the boots) -- any preference between shows? I guess Dorothy has the extra track of Down By the River...

5. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Definitely want the '74 show but not sure I need another early 70's solo acoustic show. I have Massey, Young Shakespeare and Carnegie Hall. Seems these two new one's have similar tracks for the most part...Any compelling reason for me to get either (or both) 71's?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I definitely don't need them...

...but I just pre-ordered them and the Bottom Line show on LP anyway!

7. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls...

Did Neil always play roughly similar sets for all of the early 70s acoustic shows?

8. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I think these shows are better than the other early 70s shows he has put out. Dorothy Chandler is probably the best of them all.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I like these single vinyl shows because they put a few more tracks per side, and thus may produce a compelling flow when listening. If I want a shot of acoustic Neil... a single slab is a nice option.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Even without Down by the River? Interesting. I have not heard Dorthy Chandler even on boot...

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

The bit of “You and Me” that precedes “I Am A Child” on Dorothy Chandler - 20 years before it was released on “Harvest Moon” - was a mind blowing moment for me when I first heard it and is unique. That alone makes it essential.

12. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Down by River doesn’t do it for me acoustic. Especially when he does it in D modal.

lucan_g likes this.
  13. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

It’s the Royce Hall show that has Down by the River, isn’t it?

lucan_g likes this.
  14. Mbd77

My original 1971 bootleg lp:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ARK, LSP2003, Gonzo-a-gogo and 18 others like this.
  15. Grateful Griller

Guess I'll pre order as well...can't take it w/me! Think these will hit normal retail/records stores or are these NYA exclusives?

16. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

Anyone know if Neil's version of Dorothy Chandler is also a gatefold? Didn't know the original was.

17. Mbd77

My second copy :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I certainly understand why anyone would want to pass on another early solo Neil album. Neil has done an excellent job of documenting that period. From my understanding, the Dorthy Chandler show is sourced from the bootleg. While it is a good sounding audience recording for the time, my copy would put a bowl of Rice Crispy’s to shame. The Royce Hall is not sourced from the bootleg so I expect it to have better sound. I’m a Neil Young completist so I’ll buy all three. Anytime I think I have enough early acoustic Neil, I remind myself that I thought I had that covered too. And then, I would’ve missed out on Carnegie Hall which to me is one of Neil's best live albums.

19. Mbd77

It’s been said about 50 times:

No it isn’t. It’s from a previously unavailable multitrack.

ARK, SteveFff, jgrillo and 9 others like this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I purchased 1974 and Royce. I chose Royce because I’m a UCLA alum and walked by Royce every day for class and wondering what it must’ve been like to see NY play a show there.

I saw plenty of good shows at UCLA but never at Royce Hall.

[​IMG]

21. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Ok so I guess it’s 51 times now and counting. It’s hard to keep track of not only all of Neils archive releases bootleg inspired or otherwise, but the sources too.

22. Grateful Griller

Thanks...Just pre-ordered all 3 from Neil's site and will be nice to have the High-Res files. Turning out to be a pricey weekend for me...Hendrix UHQR, Stones El Mocambo set and now these 3 LPs. I should probably power down devices for a couple days before I need to take out a loan.

jgrillo, laf848 and chickendinna like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I keep trying to make sensible choices but this thread is about to cost me... I can see it now.

I haven't heard them but I somehow expect these more 'intimate/relaxed shows' to come of as well if not better than the higher pressure Carnegie and Massey shows... I believe it when people say they like them better.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am starting off with CDs of the new boots. If one or two (or I suppose all three) are incredible, I may also acquire a vinyl pressing. That is what happened with Carnegie Hall. I was blown away by the performance while spinning the CD and I realized a vinyl pressing was going to be a necessity. But sometimes a CD is enough.

25. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

You may wish to consider that the Royce gig provided tracks for both Harvest and Time Fades Away (plus one on Archives 2), so has a certain historic importance. Just a thought.