Eurovision 2022 thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ognirats, Mar 26, 2022.

1. ognirats

ognirats haruhist Thread Starter

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Eurovision Song Contest so that is why I am making this one.

Anyway, what is yall's favourite entry?

AndrewK, rfkavanagh and abzach like this.
  2. DiscoFoxx

DiscoFoxx Well-Known Member

I’m still confused as to why Denmark never won last year. They didn’t even qualify. It was an absolute outrage.

A betting man would be bettinh heavily on Ukraine as it’s a certainty they’ll win via the sympathy vote.

Max Florian, Man at C&A and carlwm like this.
  3. bing808

bing808 Forum Resident

Watching waves is far more pleasant & inspiring

Cimrya Deal and Sear like this.
  4. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I always make a point of not listening to any of the songs in advance. I know the preliminary rounds are televised but the show itself is so long that it's enough for me.

Yes, I suspect countries starting with "Uk" will be at both ends of the scoreboard this year!

Not nececessarily sympathy vote though. I've been listening to Kraina FM a lot this week and unlike my local station or Radio 1 (of which 5 minutes is enough to make me want to put my head in the oven), every song is a banger.

5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Not the best Will Farrell movie but I got some Ls out of it. ;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. ognirats

While it might happen, the song is not that good so there is always a chance of somebody else winning

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Their winning song from a few years ago was eeirly prophetic.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident

9. ognirats

They got 3/10 predictions wrong for the first semifinal. I am really excited to see how will the other one go

10. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

I think the quality in the first semifinal was higher than usual. Favorite: Iceland. I also liked that the Slovenian group didn't have all that tiresome choreographed interaction with the camera that dominates the performances nowadays.

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

America up and copied you Euros.

[​IMG]

12. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

American Song Contest is an official Eurovision show - and they're launching Canada next in 2023! ASC is a horrifying, disastrous fiasco of a misfire of a show - absolutely nothing like the original Eurovision contest in anything but the most basic format-related ways. Completely lacks any of the charm and entertainment of the real thing. (And, to be fair, there's no way it could ever have hoped to replicate the history, quirks, and political influences of the European institution. But it's still really, REALLY bad.)

As for this year's Eurovision, I've been staying away from hearing most of the songs - I prefer to experience everything as part of the show, like in the good old days. :) But I have heard a few of the more favored entries and I watched the first semi-final yesterday. Regardless of the sympathy vote, I really like the Ukrainian entry - although I don't think it's a winner in normal times. Mahmood is a great artist and Brividi is another really strong song from Italy, but they're unlikely to win two in a row. I'm shocked how much I enjoy the UK's entry - really curious to see how it does on the night since it's the first time in years that it feels like the UK is taking the contest seriously, but they're also still a bit persona-non-grata in the EU. :D

From the first semi, I also enjoyed Iceland (very Common Linnets), Greece (but her vocal was pretty ropey), Lithuania (very slinky and cool, but not a winning song), and Norway for the typical Eurovision WTF-ery of it all (plus it's very catchy). On the other hand, Switzerland put me to sleep, Slovenia sent an amateur high school band, and Moldova is just annoying.

So all as expected. :D

And now I wait to see how Ireland does in tomorrow's semi. After our amazing '90s, we haven't exactly been covered in Eurovision glory in the last 25 years - I'm just hoping we at least make it to the grand final...

notesofachord likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Absolutely. It's a schlock fest and a display of bad taste

healter skealter likes this.
  14. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I always make a point of not listening to any of the songs, period.

I usually tune in once it's safe to assume the 'music' is over, but even the voting section's been crap since they streamlined it :realmad:

15. DiscoFoxx

DiscoFoxx Well-Known Member

Sweden wins hands down if it was up to me. Hold me close by Cornelia Jakobs.

“It kills me that I found the right one at the wrong time”

We’ve all been there.

LivingForever likes this.
  16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I agree, I feel like this is a possible winner - the only downside being that maybe it takes a couple of listens to really sink in…

And I’m not just agreeing with you because I’m currently staying in Sweden watching the semis with my Swedish family - no definitely not :D

17. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

love one from Moldova, good for them keeping the national folk elements and super catchy tune! Folklore and rocknroll :D

Zdob şi Zdub & Advahov Brothers - Trenuleţul

Max Florian, ognirats and carlwm like this.
  18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Rasmus from Finland with 80's inspired rock, co-written with Desmond Child

The Rasmus - Jezebel

JulesRules and ognirats like this.
  19. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

I'm unsure why the UK's entry is ranked so high, as seen in the bookmaker's list, and I'm always hearing on BBC Radio that this year, the UK has a chance to win.

This year's UK entry, Sam Ryder - Spaceman, sounds like another average bland pop song on the radio. Exactly the same way I felt about last year's UK entry, James Newman - Embers. Both songs deserve '0' points.

I'm not an old person who only likes pre-70's music. I listen to a lot of modern songs as well. In my opinion, the UK would have far better chances if they sent Dua Lipa or Wet Leg, whose songs have that extra sparkle, and sound different to most of the bland pop songs on the radio.

20. ognirats

My country's song is pretty interesting. It seems to have gotten up for a few places on the betting charts after the semifinal 2 performance

Max Florian, Eiszeit, AndrewK and 2 others like this.
  21. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Call me a boomer, but the songs of this year's ESC aren't my cup of tea:sigh:

UnderTheFloorboards'66 and Sear like this.
  22. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I've seen lists of predictions with Ukraine placed first and UK second, but I can't see how we won't come near the bottom of the board as usual. I have gone agaisnt my aforementioned self-imposed rules and listened to the UK song and it's nothing special, and I saw a little bit of one of the semi finals a few days ago and saw the last 6 songs and then a rundown of the 18 songs featured in that show and nothing impressed me. Even Ukraine's song isn't that great, which is a shame because I've been listening to Kraina FM on and off for the last couple of months and almost every song is a banger. They'll win anyway for obvious reasons but it's a shame they won't be doing it with a better song.

23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Don't they say that every few years or so? It wouldn't matter if it was a Macca and Oasis duet, the Eurovision voting blocs will never vote for the UK. Anyway, I am looking forward to a relatively camp-free broadcast via Youtube with a Canada VPN.

Geopolitically, I wonder if Finland and Sweden will pick up extra votes on account of their NATO ambitions?

24. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

I'm expecting Ukraine to win for obvious reasons but it'll be interesting to see whether the professional juries go for it, as they should be voting on the song only. It'll also be interesting to see who comes second (assuming Ukraine wins), as I imagine they will be the hosts of next year's contest.

I think the UK entry perhaps has something special about it as compared with our entries in recent years but I'm only expecting a few points here and there.

My favourite is probably Greece, but I also like Netherlands, Portugal and Armenia. Sweden and Norway are likely to do well. I'm not sure why Iceland is not rated more highly by the bookies.

AndrewK likes this.
  25. ognirats

I mean, it's not like most of them are just boring ballads and $h1t

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.