Bruce Willis diagnosed with aphasia, retires from acting. Updated diagnosis frontotemporal dementia*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 30, 2022.

1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - that's terrible.

I razz Willis a lot in my reviews because he's become the King of Cheap Direct to Video movies in recent years, but this is still tragic. :(

Simon A, Lownotes, Jim57 and 3 others like this.
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I remember what a star out of nowhere he became because of "Moonlighting". Lots of good movies on his resume and at least those duds from recent years should mean a full bank account to deal with his illness.

Dan C, Steve Litos, scobb and 2 others like this.
  5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

67, too young

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I just heard his cover of Respect Yourself on SiriusXM's 80s on 8 channel recently as well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    alexpop likes this.
  7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Very sad

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

It was the Staples Singers' "Respect Yourself" that he covered.

"Express Yourself" was by Charles Wright

kouzie and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Terrible news. :(

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

There have been reported rumors for some time (dementia). I recently watched a couple of his direct to video movies and many claimed he's just cashing in easy checks and is being lazy in the movies.

Well, yeah, they are easy checks, but after watching them, it's clear that he had an issue. It's sad to see and awful to hear the news for him and his family.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Hang in there Bruce.!

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

My favorite actor. Too young for bad health. At least he can afford top care for himself. Wishing him the best.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

FWIW
    Aphasia vs Dementia

Neurological disorders can manifest from simple memory loss in Alzheimer’s to more aggressive forms like mania and epilepsy. The manifestations depend chiefly on the area of the brain that is affected as every part of the brain has a different function, unlike other organs which essentially have one main function.

Dementia, meaning madness in Latin, implies a serious memory loss in a previously normal person, beyond what is expected due to normal ageing. The memory loss can be classified as static and complete, due to an injury to the brain and progressive, if it worsens slowly over time due to any reason. Aphasia, means speechlessness in Greek and is a manifestation of either disturbed comprehension and/or speech articulation. Depending on the region of the brain that is damaged, it can range from having problems in recollecting and using the correct word at the right time, to not being able to speak at all and even not being able to write what you wish to express.

Causes of dementia are hypothyroidism, vascular events, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s disease, traumatic head injury, stroke, meningitis, chronic alcoholism leading to Wernicke’s encephalopathy and Korsakoff’s psychosis. Aphasia most commonly is the result of a stroke or traumatic injury to the skull. Brain tumors and infections may also precipitate a gradually evolving aphasia. The kind of aphasia will be determined by the area of the brain involved.

Aphasia can be classified as expressive aphasia, receptive aphasia, anomic aphasia, global aphasia, conduction aphasia and 3 transcortical type aphasias based on symptoms like repetition, fluency of speech, ability to name, etc. Symptoms of aphasia vary vastly; persistent phrase repetition, inability to read aloud, inability to repeat/write, disability in naming objects or recollecting their names, substitution of words/letters, speaking complete gibberish are all symptoms of aphasia. Symptoms of dementia can be permanent or transient. There might be transient memory loss after a seizure or acute head injury, which returns spontaneously over few hours/days. Permanent dementia is seen in conditions like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and stroke. Dementia manifests as difficulty in recalling past experiences, retaining new information, loss of feeling and thoughts. People might forget to do daily activities like brushing and bathing and start neglecting themselves. There might be sudden outbursts of emotions like crying or anger without any apparent cause.

Read more: Differences between aphasia and dementia | Difference Between Differences between aphasia and dementia | Difference Between

Simon A, Chris DeVoe, MrCJF and 4 others like this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Tragic news.

Wishing the very best to Bruce and his family. Hopefully he'll be able to deal with it and have a quiet life from now on.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That is f ing terrible. Poor man
    I stopped going to his movies years ago, but it's just so sad to happen to ANYONE

18. MikaelaArsenault

Bruce playing harmonica and singing on Devil Woman:

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Very sad news.

20. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

That is shocking. I'm sorry to hear it.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I know it's not "good", however, I've always had a soft spot for...
    [​IMG]
    Under The Boardwalk was a No.2 hit in the UK!

Very sad news!

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Very sad. And if he's announcing it publicly, presumably very advanced.

It explains the run of junk movies and 1-2 filming schedules.

Best wishes to him and his family.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I feel bad now after dissing him for those crappy movies he's been in lately thinking he really was phoning in his lines and just grabbing any pay cheque that was there for the taking.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He was having problems in Vancouver summer 2021 according to a couple people I've talked to who were working on set. Lots of those direct to video/"tax dodge"/tv movies are shot up here.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What kind of issues; memorizing lines, slurring them, not remembering how a scene is supposed to go...?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.