Bruce Willis diagnosed with aphasia, retires from acting. Updated diagnosis frontotemporal dementia*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 30, 2022.

1. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

He is one of my favourites. I true film star. This was until he started making complete garbage over 10 years ago.
    Its such a pity that he decided to join the Nick Cage and De Niro ranks and become a joke.
    He is one of my favourite actors until around his wonder cameo in what just happened. This film also signalled the end of De Niro's career as an actor. Check out the film as its brilliant. It also went straight to video and never got a movie release. Strange.
    Surrogates isn't too bad from 2009. Then all there has been since is dross(death wish excepted)
    You should have quit when ahead Bruce.
    Good luck with your fight against illness.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My young grandson was born a premie and is somewhat autistic, aphasia is one of the symptoms he’s been diagnosed with. So it doesn’t just affect older folks.

3. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I've been a fan since Moonlighting and I really hate to hear this. Prayers to Bruce and his family.

scobb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Very sad news - I wish you and your family all the best sir.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I was thinking I probably hadn’t seen Willis in anything for a decade at least, but then was reminded I saw “Glass” in 2019. He must have been relatively compos mentis when shooting that? I don’t remember much about his performance to be honest but it was a substantial role, though the character is pretty taciturn.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

"Principal photography began on October 2, 2017", according to Wikipedia.

krock2009 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I wanting to say his character was much like in DEATH WISH in that he spent a lot of time in a hoodie pulled over his head. Allowed for a body double.

10. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

If for nothing else, I will always love him for Moonlighting and his always great Letterman appearances.

11. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

Bruce is a fantastic star and has made just so many enjoyable films. As far as him making these types of films over the past decade, I’m sure studios were shying away but smaller companies were willing to work around it. I don’t know if he was mishandled or abused, I suspect part of it is he was simply stubborn and wanted to keep working active and engaged would help with his condition.

Chris DeVoe and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...the other theory is that he wanted to bank as much money as he could, while he could. I'm sure glad I reserved my judgment. I saw a couple of those recent movies and there was such a strange disconnect. I felt there was more going on than just him "phoning it in".

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There has OBVIOUSLY been some issue the past several years. It's not that Willis has been in bad big budget films just going through the motions. He's been in truly dire straight-to-video garbagefests, and, apparently, has shot all his scenes in 1-2 days.

You don't go from marquee movie star to that just because you got lazy.

14. Oatsdad

To be fair, plenty of other big stars have embraced the quickie direct to video path.

John Travolta, John Cusack, Nicolas Cage - they've all done plenty of these cheapies.

Willis just did more of them the last few years than the others.

Simon A and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think of Nicolas Cage as doing anything for a paycheck, but doing a lot of big budget stinkers. So anything able to pay him a lot of money :)

Travolta...yeah, maybe.

I don't think Cusack was ever in the same air as the other two (which is not to say he didn't make some good movies).

16. Oatsdad

You're right that Cusack was never as "A-list" as the others, but he was still a big star, and he's clearly slumming in these DTV cheapies.

At least Cage still did some "quality" movies interspersed with the cheapies.

Willis still stands out because he made so many of these movies the last few years.

Now the reason seems different than what we thought, of course. I mean, I suspect "$$$" remains the guiding force, but whereas a week ago, I figured it was just Willis himself who pursued easy money, now it seems more likely others pushed him in that regard.

And our view of his judgment differs. A week ago, he just seemed like a guy who didn't care if the movie sucked as long as he got paid, but now it seems probable that he really couldn't tell the difference between good projects and crap.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I wish the best for Bruce...Pulp Fiction was a highlight.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yes.

19. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I saw this story and was kind of saddened; John McClane will always be a hero of mine, and the holidays won't be the same when watching Die Hard and Die Hard 2 knowing he's got these medical issues...

On the flip side, I guess I won't be renting any more of those direct-to-video films with him from our local Redbox...

Unfortunate circumstance or ironic blessing in disguise? :eek:

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Kevin Smith has told some interesting Bruce Willis stories.

General spaciness and maybe him needed the odd extra take.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

This might explain the awesome Expendables movie series: a star studded tribute to their pal. A cruel fate. Never thought he'd make it from Moonlighting to box office star.

25. Oatsdad

Hmm? Willis barely appeared on screen in "Expendables", and presumably, he made that movie well before his cognitive issues began.

I don't think anyone has stated or implied that he was struggling as far back as 2010.

"Expendables" has nothing to do with being a tribute to Willis. It'd be a really weird "tribute" since he's a tiny part of the movie.

I figured he'd be a rom-com star but the move to action films was the shocker.

When "Die Hard" hit, it seemed ludicrous that the balding smartass from "Moonlighting" would be the tough guy action hero.

But obviously it worked. Arguably the greatest action movie ever made!