The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Ride On is another AC/DC straight blues track.

2. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Little known fact:
    It’s been touched upon in previous posts by various posters here that the piano on the song Low Budget is by Gordon Edwards. This appearance is apparently his only recorded release with The Kinks. He was on keyboards for the the early 1979 tour dates that were used for some of the upcoming One For The Road tracks but was either mixed out of those tracks or had his contributions replaced by Ray or Ian Gibbons after he joined the band.

As to the lyrics, I always thought uppers referred to pills as others here. Never knew the shoes thing. I also heard “I was once a tough”. Never knew the term “toff” but that has to be it after learning the definition today. And I actually like brown ale so I guess I’m on a low budget too, but you can hold the cod roes!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  3. ThereOnceWasANote

Yes I believe he turned Keith onto open G and some other alternate tunings.

4. ThereOnceWasANote

Ray copping a nerdy Bill Nye look while Dave flashes his rock n roll guns.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes and that's only the beginning!

6. ThereOnceWasANote

I'd say the Kinks influence on the Stones shows up on Between The Buttons.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm on a short budget, inbox me a couple of good later albums :righton:
    I love his vocals, but lean to his guitar playing.

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  8. mark winstanley

That's probably why it's one of my favourites

9. mark winstanley

I guess I should have said Low Budget :)

10. All Down The Line

Here is an early 1993 US Goldmine that features an extensive write up on their entire career plus interviews with both Ray & Dave.

[​IMG]

Below is a snippet post release of Low Budget in 1979 that includes comments from a well known UK rock critic.

[​IMG]

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It says at bottom right: This is Captain America calling

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Cod roe (tarako in Japanese) is delicious. Actually, pretty expensive.

zipp, DISKOJOE, The late man and 3 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

I like fish... I'm not enthusiastic about their discharges :)... I guess they might but good, but it took me 18 years to kiss a girl, it'll take me a bit longer to buckle up for that rise :)

Edit - sorry I'm blaming the tequila

14. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Great! I actually still have this issue, subscribed to in real time back in 1993. At one point I had every Goldmine from mid 1987 to around 2013 when life changed for me and I had to throw out a lot of stuff for a move. I did keep select issues of these magazines such as this one. Back in those pre-internet days, Goldmine was a literal goldmine for great very thorough in depth multi page articles and analysis on legacy bands and artists as well as THE place for collectors to find and buy rare and locally unavailable music. Still a subscriber to this day but the mag is a lot different today for several reasons but still good.

(Sorry, had to delete and repost as I didn't put the appropriate quote from @All Down The Line in here.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  15. All Down The Line

Being a free day I thought I would take some license and post some 7" Kink eye Kandy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. All Down The Line

But once is never enough so..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. All Down The Line

I assume you are particularly referencing the two side closures?

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The picture cover on the French Dandy EP is pretty fantastic!

19. All Down The Line

Cheers, I also had 2 French copies of the Dead End Street EP though sold both of them but still have the 5 others pictured here.

20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I adore Grand Prix, by far the best racing car movie I've ever seen. There's a sense of dread, loneliness and melancholia in the whole thing that is only enhanced by the almost Bond-like leisurely sixties cool and lavishness of the photography, locations and Françoise Hardy. But my own cult James Garner movie is the hard hitting western Duel at Diablo, if only for the mind blowing score by sometimes Sinatra arranger Neil Hefti. It's one of my favorite pieces of music of all time and all genres. I first got the theme on a "western soundtracks" comp when I was six and had to wait some fifteen years to finally see it, fantasizing about it from the music only this whole time. Please listen to this stunning thing…

Sunday morning thought : I’ve just realized that prior to the move to Arista, not a single Kinks album’d had a proper title track. There was always a parenthesis, an “or”, an "are", a plural or whatever to make sure it never happened. But from Sleepwalker on, they all have one. No exception. Must’ve been a label policy or a marketing fad (since at least three labels are concerned), but it lasted all the way through the end.

21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I feel like my duty here is to fill non-UK residents on Ray's UK-specific language on the title track of the album that broke them in the US! The brown ale mentioned is very specifically Newcastle Brown Ale.

[​IMG]

22. All Down The Line

Maybe they had a phobia?

23. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Oh man, this is right in my wheelhouse. Not your typical western score, very swinging sixties and I love the movie poster. Can't beat Garner and Poitier together. I'm pretty sure Dad had this film on VHS but Lord knows where it is now. I'll have to see if the DVD is available.

24. All Down The Line

Grand Prix
    Featuring James Garner

I have sent this to a few folk but figured I would also post it here in full so anyone can read and enjoy it.

[​IMG]

25. ThereOnceWasANote

"New Castle Brown it will sure knock ya down"

I enjoyed a few of those in my drinking days. A very fine beer indeed!