"Hey Jude" LP with "The Beatles Again" Label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

Today, I purchased a pile of used records including a Canadian issued "Hey Jude" (which I presume was pressed in the USA for the Canadian market). The spine on the cover states the titles as "Hey Jude"; however, the Apple label on both sides of the LP lists the title as "The Beatles Again".

The catalogue number is SW-385 on the cover, but SO-385 on the record label. The matrix reads, "SO-1-385-Z37" and "Bell Sound 4" on both sides. The condition of the vinyl is somewhere near VG+. (I have not played it yet, but I notice a scratch or two and the original owner printed his name in ink on the A side label. Idiot!)

This is mistitled edition common or rare? Valuable?

P.S. I searched past threads for this topic, but found nothing.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I have one of those. Don't know how rare or valuable it is though. Like all Apple records I have that were pressed between 1968-1971, it sounds like poop.

3. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

It's very common. I see more "Beatles Again" labels than those with "Hey Jude".

4. Jack White

I'm playing it now. It is a little shrill. Oh well, I have a Japanese and German pressing of "Hey Jude" and this LP only cost me somewhere between $0.50 and $0.75.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

'Twas actually "Bell Sound sf" on the dead wax - Sam Feldman was the mastering engineer. There were many lacquers cut of each side, obviously for: a) anticipated demand, and b) for the Canadian market, as you have; I saw in one of the books a copy of Hey Jude with "The Beatles Again" on the label, as pressed by RCA in Smiths Falls, Ontario, with the 2.75" circular groove in the label area as associated with U.S. RCA LP pressings up to 1969. Apparently RCA in Canada stuck with such "deep groove" indentations for some time longer. But the thing is, the Canadian label too had laboured under the same assumptions as the U.S. viz the LP title.

6. Jack White

Thanks for the info.

I must be getting old. I can't read that tiny fine print very well any more.

7. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

I wouldn't call it very common, more like somewhat common

8. Tone

Tone Senior Member

The really rare version of this record is the Apple label with Capitol Logo in the perimeter print. Very few were pressed (pictured below).

Some of the cuts on this album were never issued in Mono but it's amazing what people will pay for a fold-down mono. (Wonder if the mono cuts are the original mono mixes or fold downs?)

Attached Files:

9. Jae

Jae Senior Member

:eek: is all I can say...

says me who has a fold down mono Brazilian Abbey Road. Didn't quite spend that much on it though, more like $20.

10. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Sam, who later worked at Atlantic, said he did some Beatles vinyl....

11. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I got my copy the day it was released (probably in Sandusky, Ohio) and it has "The Beatles Again" label.

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I bought my copy in a Sears store on December 26, 1973 -- and believe it or not, my copy had The Beatles Again on the label! It confused the heck out of me at the time, as I didn't know about the original title of the LP at the time ... So there were still copies with that label floating around retail stores more than 3 1/2 years after it was first issued.

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That's the same year I got my copy of THE BEATLES AGAIN, from a grocery store record rack.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had this album the year it was issued. I have heard worse sounding Beatles records. For a US title, I think it sounds ok. It's cut hot and from fresh tapes. What's wrong with it other than not being a UK vinyl product?

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

This LP was a RUSH release to fill orders taken for GET BACK. So rushed in fact that not only the title was up in the air, so was the cover with front and back photos switched up. Later reissues were corrected. As to sound, whatever tapes were around were used.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought George Martin did some fresh mixes at AK's request of the old tunes, and that Don't Let Me Down sounded really good on this album, as did Ballad of J/Y. Hey Jude was clear and clean, and again cut hot.

It is not a bad sounding LP imo. Oh, and the cover is really great. I wish I had the rare switched photos cover in the collection.

17. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

My cassette copy had "The Beatles Again" on the cassette-shell labels. I suppose that's not a rarity either.

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I've always wondered why this album sounded so bright? It is the brightest sounding/mastered Beatles album out there that I know of.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Im sure Klein was not involved. This was released before Abbey Road. Strictly a Capitol LP (ala Something New, Beatles VI, etc,). Stereo single mixes, mono, and fake stereo.
    A very good album despite tracks going back to the 3rd LP.:righton:

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The Swedish pressing from the late 70's is grand. :shh:

21. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Not George Martin, but someone at EMI did fresh stereo mixes of Revolution, Lady Madonna, Paperback Writer, Rain, etc.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Hey Jude was issued after Abbey Road. What song(s) are fake stereo?

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I hear no fake stereo. Maybe you can expand on which tracks are?

24. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

This was an all stereo album. There is no fake stereo on there.

25. posieflump

posieflump New Member

All genuine stereo - "Can't Buy Me Love", "I Should Have Known Better", "Paperback Writer", "Old Brown Shoe", "Don't Let Me Down" and "The Ballad of John & Yoko" all being existing stereo mixes, the remainder mixed specially.

"Tuesday 2 December 1969 -

"In September 1969 Allen Klein, acting for the Beatles, engineered a new royalties deal with EMI/Capitol, one aspect of which was that it gave the latter party the right to re-package, and make compilation albums of the Beatles' recordings. Capitol was not slow off the mark, and on 26 February 1970 it issued in the USA Hey Jude, a ten-song collection spanning the years 1964-1969. The album was only issued in stereo but since some of the ten songs had never been mixed for stereo those mixes had to be newly made. Capitol was not prepared to issue "mock stereo" as it had for its original Magical Mystery Tour album.

"As ever, the remixing task fell to EMI Studios back at Abbey Road, since it was the sole holder of the multi-track tapes. 'Lady Madonna' and 'Rain' were thus remixed for stereo on this day."

"Friday 5 December 1969 -

"Stereo mixing - 'Hey Jude' & 'Revolution'. Stereo mixes for the Capitol Hey Jude album. 'Hey Jude' itself had been mixed for stereo before, three times on 2 August 1968, but those were obviously unsatisfactory. 'Revolution' - the B-side single version - had never been mixed for stereo."

- Mark Lewisohn, "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions", pp. 194.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.