Pink Floyd new song - “Hey Hey Rise Up”*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan Driscoll, Apr 7, 2022.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Here are the lyrics translated to English:

Hey Hey Rise Up lyrics

In the meadow a red viburnum has bent down low
    Our glorious Ukraine has been troubled so
    And we’ll take that red viburnum and we will raise it up
    And we, our glorious Ukraine shall, hey – hey, rise up – and rejoice!
    And we’ll take that red viburnum and we will raise it up
    And we, our glorious Ukraine shall, hey – hey, rise up and rejoice!

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There are many more people who care about what Pink Floyd does than care about what David Gilmour does.

It would be more pathetic to take something that can do some charitable good and deliberately funnel it into somewhere with far less eyes on it.

3. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

It’s not pathetic, attaching the Pink Floyd name to it will raise a lot more money than if this was credited to Gilmore and Mason.

4. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I so badly wanted to love this song... but I can't say that I do.

Still, I appreciate the gesture they made.

5. BeatleJWOL

I believe Gilmour has said there's some Ukranian heritage in his family somewhere, either further up Polly's or his own family tree, so he's rather personally invested.

coffeetime likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

The new song is delightful; can't say I care for the more pinched guitar tone on most of the solos, but it's still beautifully melodic playing as always.

JulesRules and coffeetime like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

His daughter-in-law. Video's on Facebook now.

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

His daughter-in-law is Ukrainian.

9. TheMightyCroz

TheMightyCroz Forum Resident

It was okay. I don't think it was the right move, but I didn't think The Endless River was the right move either. Not a fan of this song, but at least I like it more than "Louder Than Words".

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The guitar solos are amazing even for Gilmour! Plus, Nick Mason finally sounding like Nick Mason again (no 1980's production).

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Your lack of comprehension behind the motive is more in question that the integrity of this song.

12. BeatleJWOL

I guess Gilmour could have cut it as a solo record, or as a duet with him and that singer, and then just shared it on PF social media.

But there's something about the Pink Floyd name behind a force for good that just makes a lot of sense.

andrewskyDE, JulesRules, ARK and 6 others like this.
  13. I didn’t instantly love it either, but it seems right for the moment — and I do like it (don’t get me wrong).

I was probably hoping for some Gilmore vocals — and a guitar solo more intertwined with the guest vocals (a la Rick’s and David’s call-and-response on “Autumn ‘68” from The Endless River) — things like that.

That said, it’s a perfectly fine track that elevates a legitimately important and historic Ukrainian song that’s perfect for this desperately unfortunate situation — and viewed in that light, I think it was a well-done effort.

It’s not as elaborate as I might have hoped for, but then again, such a thing (a more elaborate production) could have detracted from the power of the source recording (if not done right). Nothing but respect for David’s efforts here, and far be it for me to second guess him.

14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I’m really looking forward to this release because I’m a massive Pink Floyd fan! I hope that they can fundraise much money for Ukraine:agree:

15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

It...literally is a traditional Ukrainian song. Hence why it sounds like one.

16. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

G I L M O U R

with a U , no E

couple of you still have time to edit! :D :targettiphat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Nitin Sawhney is his name)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  17. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

David and Nick together are a class act and I salute their efforts to help. And as the two men who legally own the name they are certainly well within their rights to call this Pink Floyd. I have no problem with that.

Of course using the name is bound to stir some Waters…

18. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

The track reminds me a little of something from "Obscured By Clouds."

It's funny that Guy Pratt has essentially become an unofficial member of Pink Floyd. I suppose perhaps Jon Carin might have been in the same category if he hadn't Jon Carined himself.

Who cares what it's called. Gilmour wanted to do something, bringing in Mason would draw more attention, and releasing it as PF would draw even more attention. It's not like they're releasing a new album or going on tour. It's a track that they slapped the PF name on, who cares whether it qualifies as being "real" Pink Floyd? It will be a footnote at best, if not entirely forgotten, after time has gone by.

I wonder if the Australian Pink Floyd Show will add it to their set! :laugh:

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yep, and it's weird to complain that it's not Floyd with no Rick because not every previous PF LP had a lot of Wright either.

andrewskyDE, JulesRules, ARK and 3 others like this.
  20. OwnedByAnAustrian

OwnedByAnAustrian Forum Resident

What part of this post did you think was a good idea? Because you were wrong.

21. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

It's funny, I'm well aware of that but my fingers still just typed "Gilmore" by themselves (I caught it before I hit "post").

22. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

It's almost akin to Paul getting Ringo to drum on "Freedom" and releasing it as The Beatles.

pantofis and altaeria like this.
  23. Nimby

Nimby Rotten hound of the burnie crew

What’s pathetic about it?

Jarleboy, andrewskyDE, ARK and 2 others like this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I think (hope) their hearts are in the right place with this release. It's amazing that art reaches across the divides and inspires hope and solidarity. Will it actually raise money for real humanitarian aid? I guess we'll see...
    Yes, as long as we are making minor quibbles the cover art is kind of bothersome. A nice painting shrunken to a pin's head, with this terrible distorted type face version of Gerald Scarfe's The Wall lettering plastered on top. Probably the ugliest art directly associated with them outside of bootlegs!
    There is an obvious surface similarity with "Brick Two" but I think it's actually kind of lazy to exploit that association. How inappropriate to slap the imagery on a military infantry chant from WWI...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If it featured a singer from Ukraine.

Heck, I'd probably give them a pass if it did.

Jarleboy, zobalob and Lownote30 like this.