Pink Floyd new song - “Hey Hey Rise Up”*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan Driscoll, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

In the meadow a red viburnum has bent down low
    Our glorious Ukraine has been troubled so
    And we’ll take that red viburnum and we will raise it up
    And we, our glorious Ukraine shall, hey—hey, rise up—and rejoice!
    And we’ll take that red viburnum and we will raise it up
    And we, our glorious Ukraine shall, hey—hey, rise up and rejoice!

2. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Hell no, I hope you're joking.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Interstellar Overdrive.

zobalob likes this.
  4. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yes, of course. Hoist by my own petard.

5. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Freedom (Drumz & Bass Version)

Boognish likes this.
  6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

“I am disgusted by [Russian President Vladimir] Putin’s invasion of Ukraine,” Roger Waters wrote Wednesday. “It is a criminal mistake in my opinion, the act of a gangster. There must be an immediate ceasefire."

Looks like another, "Forget about Ukraine, let's use this tragedy to show our hate for Roger Waters and push OUR politics!!!"

Frans T, RockNRod, xfilian and 2 others like this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Aye. But I reckon Pow R Toch H. is a cover of a Flowerpot Men tune. No, not the band, but Bill & Ben.

8. Lownote30

That sentence isn't the issue with what Waters said. After the thought you quoted, he said weapons shouldn't be given to Ukraine, and that diplomacy should be the tactic used. I have problems with that sentiment.

ARK, zobalob, JulesRules and 3 others like this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Where’s Clare Torry?

Cool hand luke likes this.
  10. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Because he fears more destruction and death to the country, and also nuclear war. There's more to after the thought you quoted.

RockNRod, Devotional, xfilian and 3 others like this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Oh boy, this is tiring. Since I keep seeing the same old tired argument (ad nauseam since the 80s) that this can't be Pink Floyd if Roger's not involved, may I remind you that he removed himself from the band in 1985. That's the year I was born. A long, long time ago. Rick wasn't part of the band at that point, so since then, Pink Floyd have been David and Nick. That's Pink Floyd. Roger has no say. End of.

It's not the same as Paul and Ringo going now as The Beatles, as they would need the sign off from Yoko and Olivia, which David and Nick don't need. Oh and by the way, Gala was there in the recording of the video, so even if she didn't need to sign this off, she was part of it.

shadlet, blackstar, RockNRod and 6 others like this.
  12. madsurfer

madsurfer Forum Resident

Oh my god, can we talk about the music please? Why isn't it possible to simply enjoy the release of a new Floyd song without raising the political fences and feeding the endless and useless Waters vs. Gilmour fight?

13. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Everyone fears nuclear war. But that doesn't mean we can allow Russia to blackmail the world and do whatever they please just to avoid a threat that right now is relatively vague. No one wins a nuclear war, and Putin knows that.

What's the Waters solution? Europe tried diplomacy. So did the US.

Russia would have no money to bankroll the war if it weren't for the oil they sell to Europe. One fix is somewhere in there. I'm not saying it's easy of course.

dunkoid, ARK, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  14. Lownote30

Yes. My problem is that diplomacy won't work in this situation. I'm not the one coming down on Waters, though. My opinions slightly differ from his on this subject, but I wouldn't ever call him names, or say he's a terrible person for it.

15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I’ve tried, but apparently i am missing the point.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  16. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Even though it is the only sentiment that actually makes sense?

17. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

That could've worked if it was worked out as a real duet. Given the circumstances I can understand why they did it like this. But maybe Polly will write an English verse and they'll do an extended version with a Gilmour verse if this tragedy goes on much longer.
    Thinking about it, that would also liven up the song since otherwise, it's basically one verse repeated twice, and that makes it a bit duller than it should've been, but again understandable seeing the circumstances.
    Well the Ukraine war thread is still running as far as I know:
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ukraine-invaded-by-russia-part-tri.1140795/
    I'm 28!
    :laughup:

Jeff McParsons likes this.
  18. Lownote30

Without getting further into it, I'll just say that I disagree.

19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

As a song, it’s OK. Gilmour’s guitar is wonderful,
    Nick is solid as always.

As for Waters, Good Thing he’s not an analyst.

21. JulesRules

I've watched the hour-long Let's Talk It Over podcast and wish I didn't... :shake:
    I think any of the folks who had to flee with the bare minimum are not going to like their situation being called "political" :rolleyes:
    While I wouldn't make Roger responsible for everything, you gotta acknowledge that he fuels it by his actions, complaining about Polly and so on. There was far less of this sort of bickering in the time they got along (i.e. prior to The Endless River - which probably angered Roger quite a bit because he had finally carved out a name for himself and all of a sudden his old band is back again; all the major spats about The Early Years, not being allowed to access the YT channel, and the Animals liner notes happened afterwards).
    See above.
    Not Twitter, Facebook. Which is relevant since you can edit Facebook comments, but not tweets.

BeatleJWOL, HitAndRun and NunoBento like this.
  22. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

He was busy having a cigar somewhere. How I wish he were there.

23. JulesRules

He's still active, actually, and was quite bitter about his lack of appreciation in an interview I read a while ago.

andrewskyDE, Keith V and 9 Volt like this.
  24. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I don't have time to listen to much music now - too many other things to do. But, I've listened to this track maybe ten times over. (I'm sure others have listened to it more.) At first it sounded like stereotypical DSotM era Floyd backing a vocal that didn't fit. But, now that I have gotten used to it, it is working really well for me. It's very Floydian, just Floyd having gone in a new direction. For reasons that are easily understood.

25. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

It's kind of a plodding, middle-of-the-road Floyd affair. Dave sounds nice and the sentiment is admirable.

Coolio and Lemon Curry like this.