Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I thought Jake was a great host last night,from a singing trucker to a flower.I thought this sketch was so funny and so wrong :) Who knew flowers and a bee were so kinky!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Last night was a real dud, IMO. No great sketches (though I thought the HGTV parody was at least pretty funny) so-so cold open, below-average weekend update. You could tell that Jake was giving it all to the material he had to work with, though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The funnest line in the whole show for me was when the mother says “perverts and tuggers can’t see mama Bea make her dirt”

NettleBed and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

The writing has generally been on the upswing this season, but last night was awful. Felt like the product of a writing room that's run out of ideas.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yup. Just an atrocious episode.

I don't get it. They have so much material to work with right now and end up wasting time on the stupidest stuff. We actually had a Senator of the United States reading from a children's book and ranting about whether a Supreme Court nominee is concerned about "racist babies." You can't make this stuff up. It's comedy served on a plate.

And they don't get Aidy Bryant to do really the one thing she's good at (being Ted Cruz) but yet can find time in the show to team her up with Bowen Yang and do some utterly pitiful bit in the middle of WU.

6. NettleBed

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I could think of was that maybe she/they might be conscious of wearing it out, as they've gone to it a lot.

As for the thing she does with Yang on Weekend Update - it's been done at least once before, and was really well received, so I guess they tried it again. I don't find it all that funny, but then I never thought Bill Hader's "Stefon" character was all that funny either (and I live in NYC and got some of the references), but that one was really popular.

Shawn, Paper Shark and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

So her and Yang had done this bit before? I see the show regularly but don’t remember it and that may well be because of how forgettable it is.

I actually hate the way WU gets interrupted because I think most of those bits are just so awful. And usually WU is a nice break even if the show is crap. Although this week it wasn’t much good either.

vinnie and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. NettleBed

Yes, most recently in January. I can't remember if they've done it before that though.

There are weekend update sketches that I think are worse, though - both from Heidi Gardner: the "every boxer's girlfriend" and the "teenager movie reviews" I've never laughed once at those.

LilacTeardrop and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Not a great episode, tho I did think the opening date was at least poignant and relevant

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

SNL does seem to beat some of these impressions to death. It gets stale after awhile

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Those were brutal, for sure. The other one that comes to mind is the Kate & Aidy “meat” company thing. Just putrid.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Earlier this evening my wife and I were discussing the show. We thought the HGTV parody was the best skit of the show. Not a great show overall.

I have to say Kyle Mooney is the secret weapon in a lot of skits. He was great, as a sap, in the HGTV parody. He doesn't seem to get much publicity outside the show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Consensus seems to be my prediction came true. I only watched the opening and Weekend Update and did not think either was good so I bailed on watching the rest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The male characters in the HGTV parody were played by Mikey Day, Jake Gyllenhaal, and James Austin Johnson.

15. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Disagree with the bashers on this latest episode. Why'd You Like It was a brilliant five minutes of comedy, extremely well thought out. The one with the Flowers was inventive. The show is doing mostly original skits now, few recurring, which I appreciate.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’d agree that Why’d You Like It was good. It was let down a little to have his wife brow beating him from the audience, but it was a very good idea and had some really good writing.

17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Dismukes is mostly underwelming. Maybe he'll get better, who knows. Aristotle whoever is a blank, only remember him from that one weekend update sketch. Cindy Sherman is... interesting, at least. She seems kinda weird. I want to like her because SNL can always use more weirdness. But so far she hasn't really knocked it out of the park with anything that I can remember. The meatball sketch was sufficiently weird but also way too weird and not enough funny. So, overall unimpressed with her so far, but hopeful. That we got these 3 in and lost Beck Bennett while still keeping Mooney seems unfair.

18. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction. Mistook Johnson for Mooney.

19. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Am I the only one who finds Bowen Yang to be a one-trick pony? He seems to basically play… himself… in every sketch he’s in. I never found him particularly funny, personally, but his schtick is really beginning to wear thin. It would be nice to him try something else, anything else, just to see if he’s capable of doing it.

Deano6, kouzie, MekkaGodzilla and 4 others like this.
  20. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I kind of like how Weekend Update has gone from having 3 "guest interruptions" to just 1 or 2. There were times when it just seemed interminable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Most of those "Guests" on Weekend update I cannot stand. I find the funniest part of Weekend Update is Che and Jost they could do away with those ridiculous "guests" and it would still be good just my opinion

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think a lot of the appeal from Stefon came from Hader's inability to keep a straight face.

People love to see "SNL" performers crack up on camera. If Stefon had lacked that, I think the sketch would've faded quickly...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I agree about Mooney, but that wasn't that James Austin Johnson in that skit?

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.08.36 AM.png

24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Camila Cabello is this generation's JLo, imo.
    I liked her first song especially.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Or as I like to call it, "...right after John Mulaney goes away".

And this is not to put it all on some ex-writer who isn't even a series regular; it has to do with the "politics" in the writers room in general, I think. One of those constantly-desperate situations where somebody says something could be funny, and for some reason everybody helps him bang it into a sketch even if they don't wanna say out loud it's going anywhere. Then it's on to the next grasping-at-straws/look-out-the-window-for-a-topic session.

Ever notice how many sketches just...end? With no real point to that being the place to do that? That's because they have the wind-up, but none of the sketches makes "a pitch", and communicates the whole plot. This can work with one-panel gag cartoons, but not with a small dramatic piece lasting a duration on stage. Beginning...middle...end. Setup...execution...climax. Just because you don't have a curtain in that theater, doesn't relieve you of the necessity to metaphorically find a place to close it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022