4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 26, 2020.

1. It seems that there will be a release of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) on UHD, 05/13/2022, in Germany. I don't know if it will be in HDR, but that's one I will probably be okay without HDR.

I believe that makes this title the oldest on UHD and the first silent film on UHD.

It's a good one, too! I'm not big into silent pictures, but some titles like this one are a must buy.

SamS, jamesc and jhm like this.
  2. This gem has a 05/10/2022 release. I like it because it covers a lot of Hitch's career w/ two films from the '40s, one from the '50s, one from the '60s, and the last is from 1976.

[​IMG]

3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'm considering having my LG C1 professionally calibrated and know several forum members have had it done. I've tweaked the settings as suggested in the C1 thread over on AVS forums and the difference compared to out of the box settings was night and day. I imagine pro calibration will be another huge leap from what I've read but want to set my expectations since it's fairly pricey. I mean, I started out with beta hi-fi and progressed through laserdisc, DVD, and blu-ray and each one has been a noticeable improvement. I kind of wonder how much better my C1 can get!

Has anyone not been blown away by pro calibration? Anyone have any suggestions for calibrators that tour through the Dallas area? I've sent a request out to ChadB but I think I may have just missed him.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Let me know how that one is. I have the Blu-ray edition based off the same 4K scan, I believe. But since I upgrade that movie more than any other and it’s only been like a year since my last upgrade, it’s about time!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Early reports on the Blu-ray.com are that it’s stunning and couldn’t look better. (Although the site review only gives it four stars).

CBackley likes this.
  6. Yeah, the fans are giving it better ratings so far.

Mine just landed today, by the way. Although I pre-ordered, some foul up did not deliver mine on the 15th as promised. That's the first time I've experienced that with Amazon, so I'm cool with it.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I'm waiting for the standard edition - same with Robocop.

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I began collecting films on vhs, then dvd, then blu ray. I’m officially done with the upgrade game and have absolutely no interest in 4K. My eyesight is only going to get worse with age so how is higher definition going to help me in the coming decades? But that said, I do own two blu ray/4K combo sets and I find it kind of amusing that by pure coincidence they would the perfect matinee double feature: 1982’s The Beastmaster and The Sword and the Sorcerer!

Solaris Morse likes this.
  9. Prescription spectacles. :righton:

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Yeah, I have those. Just got new ones today, actually. I know elderly people that have glasses but are still blind as bats.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. Shaft (1971) ~ 06/28/2022 from Criterion

Wow. I wasn't expecting this. I'm thrilled. Check out these deets:

New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack remastered with creative input from Isaac Hayes III
    In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and two Blu-rays with the film and special features
    Shaft’s Big Score!, the 1972 follow-up to Shaft by director Gordon Parks
    New documentary on the making of Shaft featuring curator Rhea L. Combs, film scholar Racquel J. Gates, filmmaker Nelson George, and music scholar Shana L. Redmond
    Behind-the-scenes program featuring Parks, actor Richard Roundtree, and musician Isaac Hayes
    Archival interviews with Hayes, Parks, and Roundtree
    New interview with costume designer Joseph G. Aulisi
    New program on the Black detective and the legacy of John Shaft, featuring scholar Kinohi Nishikawa and novelist Walter Mosley
    A Complicated Man: The “Shaft” Legacy (2019)
    Behind-the-scenes footage from Shaft’s Big Score!
    Trailers

This might be my most anticipated release now, as it comes with the sequel film, too (I'm sure only in HD), but uncompressed mono and a new stereo mix (hopefully not bricked).

Thats quite a plethora of bonus features especially if the documentary isn't a mere featurette.

The cover is done by the great Bill Sienkiewicz.

PH416156 and jhm like this.
  12. No kidding! I just got my new glasses on Monday and now I'm seeing in Super 4K! Wow! I hadn't realized how out of date my script was. Moreover, the swirls (a multitude of fine scratches) in my glasses were bothering me, but I didn't know they were impeding my view that much.

It's only been since Monday, yet now I'm OCD about keeping my specs tip-top. I'm contemplating having a second pair just for watching flicks on the weekend. :help:

To keep things on topic, though, here is that gorgeous Bill Sienkiewicz cover for Shaft.

[​IMG]

Lars Medley, PH416156 and jhm like this.
  13. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Yes, 4K Blu-rays do look better especially if you are on a large TV (like a 55"+). I am on a 65" and I don't so much notice the increase in sharpness, but the HDR I think makes quite a difference. My only problem is that I've had some bad pressings? from Paramount. Mission Impossible: Fallout I kept getting a message that I was trying to play an invalid disc when watching on my Xbox One S. I exchanged the disc and the replacement works fine. I also had the same issue with the 4K Blu-ray of Cloverfield. Exchange worked fine once again. For some reason, it's just Paramount discs that give me issues.

14. Oh snap, I've bit another bullet and put my pre-order down for the Death Wish II (1982) UHD from Vinegar Syndrome.

Thats the best Death Wish film anyway, just right in front the 1974 original. It's hella brutal, though, which is the point, allowing the audience to sympathize with Paul's vigilantism.

This is the one I saw the most as a kid.

jhm and johnny q like this.
  15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I’ve also preordered it (along with the blu of Born To Win, released on the same day, and have finally put an order in for Walking The Edge).

I really enjoy the film - Bronson, Page soundtrack, ultra sleaze. The uncut version is probably the grimmest and most exploitative movie ever released by a major studio (Columbia in 1981). It’s pretty indefensible in terms of good taste - so mean-spirited. Looking forward to watching the 4K. :D

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. CBackley

I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark a couple of nights ago. There were weird flashing white pixels/squares on the far left side of the screen. It hasn’t happened with other discs. Has anyone experienced this with a UHD?

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I didn't notice that during my viewing (I bought the US release, not the UK release, too - although they'll all be the same 0nscreen).

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I never noticed anything like that on my copy, either.

19. CBackley

It turns out I get those white flashes on every Dolby Vision disc. When I turn off Dolby Vision, they go away. My HDTV is Dolby Vision compatible. I’m not sure how to fix it, other than turning off Dolby Vision. Ugh.

20. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

It could be a Blu-ray player issue. Could you try a streaming service like Netflix that has Dolby Vision and see if it happens there?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. CBackley

I’ll test out streaming later to see if it’s the layer. Good call. I just bought it in January, so it would be disappointing if the player was bad. It’s a Panasonic DP-UB820.

22. Ah ha! Update your firmware to 1.69. It fixes the issue. This has been common with some recent DV changes. You'll be right as rain. :agree:

jamesc, MrEWhite, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  23. CBackley

I think it’s updated. But I’ll check later today.

24. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

That’s what I have and I haven’t noticed any issues on my LG CX with Dolby Vision discs.

CBackley likes this.
  25. Not as far as I'm concerned. I don't think that there's enough movies that I absolutely like enough to repurchase on yet another format. To bad video rental stores aren't around anymore, at this point I would much rather rent a movie then buy movies. Yes, I have my favorites that I do watch often, but most people buy tons of movies that just end up setting on a shelf unused. I don't see any point in buying movies if it's going to be years in between viewings.