David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

So it seems unclear to me. Are we to expect it in Imax theatres this year then streaming on HBO next year?

2. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I surmise from the wording that NEON is distributing it in a limited theatrical/IMAX release, either alongside or shortly in anticipation of the HBO streaming, both during Spring 2023.

longdist01 and fluxkit like this.
  3. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Finally, some visuals from the vaults. Presumably this will feature the concert footage that’s incomplete, things from db Is that we all wish were tasters of full gigs but aren’t? Or will it be one massive trailer in effect for other releases? But, it still has to be said, what of the 50th (ish) anniversary album releases? Anyhow, this looks really interesting and if it explores his multi-disciplinary influences could be great.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

At least they've opted to release all of the reels.

Visconti must've been busy splitting and remixing those 16mm reels into 12 separate audio channels, apart from the video.:agree::laugh:

At least we've got about a year to install a bunch of extra speakers for the end result of his remix extravaganza ... I'm an alligator coming from your ceiling, baby !

And it's worth noting ... if Moonage Daydream does for Bowie what Morgen's Bohemian Rhapsody did for Queen, which is entirely possible, now is the time to buy those missing albums on RCA vinyl, because prices will go way up.

supernaut, RickA, Merrick and 3 others like this.
  5. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Oh lord, please no. For over a year, I couldn't walk into any establishment without hearing a Queen song on the speakers.

It would be an absolute nightmare.

blastfurniss and moomoomoomoo like this.
  6. khashoggi

khashoggi Forum Resident

The filmmaker had access to all, they're not releasing the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another few years before a proper concert film of the Earls Court concert is released. This one definitely isn't that.

I very much doubt that. Bohemian Rhapsody was an easily digestible popcorn blockbuster while this one screams "arthouse", and that will be the only audience outside of Bowie fans and music documentary fans in general.

7. footprintsinthesand

I know that of course, it was tongue in cheek

We'll see. As I recall on January 10th 2016 quite a few people around the world were shocked

8. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

Super excited about both of these prospects! Thanks

RickA likes this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Now that we have more detail about this movie, including a title, can I suggest that the thread title be amended to reflect this please?

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not one that is too bothered with concert videos. They're a one-time watch for me, not something I'd buy. Perhaps if it's a good 5.1 mix it might be worth it. These types of things are more curio's for me.

TheHypnoToad likes this.
  11. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Pitchfork says complete and screening at Cannes…my worry not going to be thorough enough I mean how do you condense what could easily be a get back style 6 hour doc

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

One of the difficulties with a documentary is the gap between what would interest the most knowledgeable fans and what the more casual fan wants to see. The safe path is to tell the Ziggy story yet again whereas I'd be more interested in exploring the genesis of Low, 1.Outside, The Next Day and Blackstar. The Elton John film was interesting because it explores some uncomfortable aspects of his life but I think it suffered commercially because of that. Whereas I found the Queen movie a yawn personally, but it did very well.

Tim

13. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

This reads like there could easily be a home video release after it streams for a while on HBO, probably lots of potential 'bonus' footage that could be part of a Blu Ray or 4K disc. I do hope this will get some sort of theatrical run, I have both an 'arthouse' and Alamo Drafthouse location I can go to where something like this would be great to see on a large screen. If not I guess I'll do another free trial of HBO Max when this gets released....

14. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I'd like a good "lost" live cd or preferably download. I have watched so many DB docs, and his stage performance, while always good, lost much of the theatricality after the Ziggy years. I'm sure I'll watch the dic, but if it's just just performance clips & talking heads, I'd only purchase if there is a soundtrack with significant amount of unreleased music (live or studio). multi channel mixes are immaterial to me; my system is 2.0.

15. footprintsinthesand

I'd say dish up the Ziggy story once more for the masses, but give us fans the hires video and audio of a complete Earl's Court show (or two).

RickA likes this.
  16. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

So, don’t @ me……What if there are no complete gigs we haven’t seen already. db knew that, obvs, this docu uses the best of what he had Nb that was also teased in the db Is exhibition, followed by a blu ray with ‘stems’ of the source vid. Everyone happy. Or as happy as poss.

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would rather they didn't have any talking heads (not even the Talking Heads). If they are really keen to explore DBs creativity etc as the press release suggests, I would rather they just used performance footage and his own interviews.

I often think of The Who's Kids Are Alright movie as a benchmark for the perfect music documentary - complete performances mixed with archive interview footage that builds up to create a portrait of the artist / group etc.

18. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Imagine an hour or even a half devoted to each record…along the lines of the classic albums dvd series. I’ve always been surprised that this approach for big ones like stones or Dylan hasn’t happened. I think it’s a big missed opportunity.

Man at C&A and moomoomoomoo like this.
  19. damien

damien Forum Resident

I know Montage of Heck was somewhat divisive but the way Morgen (and co) used live footage in Crossfire Hurricane was fantastic IMO. Looking forward to this!

Is that a brand new image Bowie btw? I love it.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

According to the director, Autumn 2022 for theaters/IMAX. Streaming in Spring 2023.

longdist01 and Brendan K like this.
  21. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

You need participation of the artist and Dylan & the Stones are content, with the exception of Keith’s book to let the music do the talking. While we music geeks like to see how the sausage is made, a wide stream audience isn’t.

22. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Other than the title, I don’t see anything indicating this is a film about Ziggy but rather one about Bowie the artist who experimented with music, film, paint, mime, dance, and for all we know pottery and sculpture . It’s a documentary, not a dramatization like the Elton John & Queen films. It’s not out to win new fans and big box office. My take is it’s Bowie as artist in his own words but remember, the man himself is not a reliable narrator. He changed his feelings about his recorded work nearly as often as he changed his hairstyle.

This is a film about David Bowie as artist. We may get a peek behind the curtain at how he made art. It is not, and we will likely never see, an authorized film on David Jones, husband, father, and creator of the David Bowie persona. His marriage to Iman, the second chance to be a father and the health issues that began in 2004 clearly mark the separation between the man and his brand. Bowie is what he wanted the world to see. David Jones was for his family and closest friends only.

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Bowie produced several sculptures for commercial sale. See The Remember Series, here:

David Bowie Artwork N to Z

blastfurniss likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The thing is, all we need to know about the making of details of those albums is in all the books and magazine specials (Mojo, Uncut, etc.) and they go to a depth that just can't be done in a film. This is why I the talking heads documentaries about artists pretty superficial. Give me full-song concert footage anytime.

25. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

BMG announces definitive new Bowie movie Moonage Daydream.

BMG is proud to announce that it will shortly release Moonage Daydream, a definitive new portrait of David Bowie by Brett Morgen and the first film to be officially sanctioned by Bowie’s estate.

BMG and its co-production partner Live Nation Productions, the executive producers and financiers of the film, have licensed US distribution rights to Neon while Universal Entertainment International will handle the movie outside the US. North America cable and streaming rights have been licensed to HBO and HBO Max.

The film, including its title track, draws extensively on Bowie’s 1970 to 1977 song catalogue in which BMG has a 25% stake including ‘Changes’, ‘Starman’, ‘Ziggy Stardust’, ‘The Jean Genie’, ‘All The Young Dudes’, ‘Life on Mars’, ‘Rebel Rebel’, ‘Fame’, ‘Young Americans’ and ‘Golden Years’. BMG’s relationship with the Bowie catalogue is unaffected by Warner Music’s recent acquisition of the Bowie song catalogue.

BMG EVP Global Repertoire Fred Casimir said, “This has been a five year labour of love to honour one of the greatest song catalogues in music history. BMG is proud to build on our long-term relationship with the David Bowie estate working hand-in-hand with our partners Live Nation Productions to bring Brett Morgen’s vision to the big screen.”

Acclaimed filmmaker Brett Morgen (The Kid Stays in the Picture, Cobain: Montage of Heck, Jane) has synthesized David Bowie’s music and art into a sublime kaleidoscopic experiential cinematic odyssey that explores Bowie’s creative, spiritual, and philosophical journey. With never-before-seen footage, performances, and music, the film is guided exclusively by Bowie’s narration. The motion picture features 47 musical tracks, mixed from their original stems. Bowie’s long-time collaborator and friend Tony Visconti is the film’s music producer.

Moonage Daydream is the first film in a multi-picture deal between Brett Morgen and BMG for IMAX productions. Designed from conception as a unique cinematic experience, the film will be released in IMAX in select markets.

The upcoming documentary is the latest project in BMG’s growing line of music-related films and television projects including DIO: Dreamers Never Die, which recently made its world premiere at the 2022 SXSW Film Festival; the critically acclaimed Sundance Film Festival selections David Crosby: Remember My Name – Grammy-nominated for ‘Best Music Film’ – and the Joan Jett documentary, Bad Reputation; Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records; and Echo In The Canyon, one of the top-grossing documentaries of 2019.

Recently, BMG partnered with Pulse and Quickfire Films and multi-Platinum, two-time BRIT Award-winning, Grammy Award-nominated singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi for his debut feature-length documentary film. BMG is the long-time music publisher of Capaldi’s songs.

Moonage Daydream is written, directed, edited, and produced by Brett Morgen. Executive Producers are Hartwig Masuch, Kathy Rivkin Daum, and Justus Haerder for BMG; Michael Rapino, Heather Parry, and Ryan Kroft for Live Nation Productions; Bill Zysblat, Tom Cyrana, Aisha Cohen, and Eileen D’Arcy for RZO; Billy Gerber, and Debra Eisenstadt. The feature is a Public Road Productions film.

CBackley, Rufus rag and Bink like this.