The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Glad you mentioned the single with the non-LP B-side Wild Man. I was going to if no one else did so the song didn't get overlooked as it’s pretty obscure. This one falls under with the louder metallic tracks like some of the ones that did make the album and it has some weird tempo fluctuations. Not sure what happened there. Good luck in deciphering those lyrics.
    It's on YouTube though, so maybe it could be added as a third song on whatever day.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Well, we can definitely disagree and still discuss the album. Dave was once a tremendous and inventive guitarist. His style during this period is, in my opinion, a bit wanky. It verges on the upcoming hair metal of the 80s. I like plenty of albums by guitarists that have guitar, but based on the first few songs, this is not one of them.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I get the impression it is his sound, not particularly his style... but we'll see how we go when we get there

4. palisantrancho

I think it’s both, but we will see. I guess today I have to give the entire album a proper listen!

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes…and, unlike Ray, he knows their names! (See just above in this post)

Somehow, based entirely on two minutes of the first song, I think they’re barking up the wrong tree!

6. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Personally, I love a good guitar wankfest! …but then, I guess I have already made that clear about my tastes. If Michael Schenker and UFO hitting Rock Bottom is a “wankfest”, then I say bring it on.

7. mark winstanley

For the record.... and we'll get to it tomorrow....

The first track on the album starts with roughly a two minute instrumental section.... to the point that on my first listen it seemed it was going to be an instrumental...
    That is the only song from memory that has an elongated instrumental section.

I am starting to think that it is the change from earlier seventies overdrive, to late seventies and early eighties distortion that some don't like about the guitars?
    Distortion has a more saturated sound and lends to easier pinch harmonic notes (think La Grange lead break) and has a smoother grit in the guitar sound, rather than the chunky/lumpy overdrive sound.

I totally understand that some may not like this album, the songs, the guitar sounds or whatever, but Dave isn't really doing much different than he has always done.
    I'm a guitarist, I can certainly post some tracks that would make many stunned at what a guitar overload fest actually is lol

This is just an early eighties rock album. It isn't a Kinks album, and doesn't pretend to be.

I think the only way to approach this album and its songs is to note that, and adjust the expectations and thoughts about what it is.

I really didn't like this when I first heard it. It's thick and noisy, and some of the melodic phrasing is easily missed in the explosion of sound.
    I actually like most of it now, but I am also not averse to hard rock, grunge, metal from various eras, so it was mainly redialling in on what Dave was doing here....

None of that is to say anyone should or shouldn't like it though.... just that it is what it is

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My stop point was the vocals.

(I was okay with the guitars. In fact, an idea for yet another Zeki patented playlist was spawned yesterday during my drive to and from Seattle after listening to an Apple generated “my favorites” selection that included ‘What God Wants, Part 1’. Featuring guitar galore. P.S. ‘Muswell Hillbilly’ also popped up in the mix.)

9. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

This run from sleepwalker till state of confusion is my most enjoyable run by them. I understand the golden age is better but from a fun listening stand point I love their late 70s early 80s stuff

10. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

I've always liked the Dave songs on various Kinks albums; sometimes (as with Strangers and Trust Your Heart) they're among my favorites on a given LP. Never bought or heard a solo album -- and have a house full of collateral family members for the next few days -- but may drop in and make a comment (or write a screed) here and there.

Listening in the shower & on my phone in bed this morning, what first strikes me is the unresolved quality of many of the tunes. I generally love the guitar work and can enjoy the vocals -- I don't have any problem with the light-heavy metal thing -- I've loved stuff much less well-engineered/produced -- but it's like Dave doesn't quite know what to *do* with a melody, where to take it, how to make it come back around, how to give it a strong finish. But looking forward to the s0ng-by-song.

11. mark winstanley

They're interesting lol

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I bought this one on release day - had no idea it was coming out or when, but did a double take when I saw it in the bin and picked it up immediately! I loved it and still do. As a longtime Kinks fan even then, I thought it was a great burst of fresh air, as Dave seemed to be in a box with the band at that point. He was given a few minutes in shows at the time to play a song or so from it, which Ray seemed unenthusiastic about. The album is mostly free of the odd spiritual and UFO kinda stuff that got into subsequent releases. I even tracked down the single for the non-album B side. And what a great look for him! The barcode thing was more clever then than it may seem now.

13. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I have never heard this album. I downloaded it this morning. I will be frantically listening on loop to attempt to make a valuable contribution.

I will say, I actually like the album cover.

14. palisantrancho

What is the schedule for this album? It will be two songs a day and then we will start on Give The People What They Want next Thursday?

Unless I miraculously have a change of heart at some point in the next few days, I am going to sit out the majority of this album. I just gave it a full listen and don't feel I will have anything positive to say about any of it. This type of music isn't anywhere close to why I love The Kinks. I get that it's something different, but I am not hearing anything that I care to listen to again. I would just be repeating my dislike of the guitar, vocals, and songwriting. I'm actually shocked that this schlock came from a Kink.

I'll be over in the corner listening to "Nuclear Love" until this all blows over.

15. mark winstanley

Yea, it will be 2 per day as per popular request.

16. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Don't forget One From the Road, which came out before Give the People What They Want.

17. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

Ah, AFL1-3603… snare drums sounding like bouncing basketballs and everything slathered in awful digital reverb and compression… the ‘80s, like it or not, had indeed arrived.

Some friends and I made the (fairly) long excursion to Tower Hollywood to pick up our copies of AFL1-3603 at the stroke of midnight (I don’t recall many other record stores staying open late for next-day releases) and then drove back to our respective homes to listen to the darn thing. (We all also grabbed copies of the Imaginations Real 45 that same night.)

When we met up the next day at work (Disneyland!), the unanimous consensus was:
    AFL1-3603 was unlistenable.

I felt that way back in 1980 and still feel that way now—even though I periodically give it a spin in the hope I’ve been missing something wonderful all these years. Sadly, I have not.

I’ve always loved Dave’s voice (so that was never the problem) but AFL1-3603 is one of the most disappointing releases I’ve ever owned.

On the other hand, I used to play Wild Man whenever it was late and I wanted people to leave… it never failed! There’s just something so fantastically awful about that track and the fact that the lyrics (if one can call them that) are completely indecipherable.

One great thing about music is nobody else has to like it if you like it. So, here’s to all who enjoy AFL1-3603 in whole or in part! :)

~Huck

[​IMG]

18. palisantrancho

Thanks! I may not have much to say about that album either! I was hoping to participate through this entire thread, but I may be quieter over the next few weeks.

19. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The way Dave's head is above the UPC code on that picture sleeve makes him look like a PEZ dispenser!

Avid Boom Operator, you worked at Disneyland? I remember my sole trip there back in 1988. I went w/someone who actually had a yearly pass to it. I also met Whimsical Will of the Dr. Demento show who also worked there.

20. mark winstanley

I missed that second bit....

We have

Tomorrow - Where Do You Come From - Doing The Best For You
    Saturday - Visionary Dreamer - Nothin' More To Lose

Monday - The World Is Changing Hands - Move Over
    Tuesday - See The Beast - Imaginations Real
    Wednesday - In You I Believe - Run - Wild Man

Thursday - One For The Road - album - video/dvd - EP - write up/intro

I'm not sure at this stage how long One For The Road will take... roughly two weeks... maybe slightly more...

Then - Waterloo Sunset EP and Dave Davies Glamour album write up
    9 songs over 4 or 5 days

Then - Give The People What They Want

a quick reminder of the other things coming up

Dave Davies Chosen People - 1983
    You Really Got Me single - 1983
    Kinks State Of Confusion - June 83 (+ State Of Confusion EP - 1984)
    Dead End Street/Greatest Hits - 1983
    Compleat Collection - 1984
    Word Of Mouth - Nov 84
    Ray Davies Return To Waterloo - Jul 85
    Ray Davies Quiet Life - Apr 86
    Come Dancing With The Kinks - Jun 86
    Think Visual - Nov 86
    The Kinks Are Well Respected Men - Sep 87
    The Road - Jan 88
    Ray Davies 80 Days - 1988
    Greatest Hits - 1989
    Ultimate Collection - 1989
    UK Jive - Oct 89
    Lost And Found (86-89) - 1991
    Did Ya (single and EP) - Oct 91
    The Definitive Collection - 1993
    A Portrait Of The Kinks - 1993
    Phobia - Mar 93
    To The Bone - Oct 94
    Waterloo Sunset 94 EP - Oct 94
    The Definitive Collection - 1996
    You Really Got Me The Very Best Of The Kinks - 1997
    The Singles Collection - 1997
    Ray Davies Storyteller - 1998

21. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Here’s one more for consideration to add into the list.

Backtrackin’ - 1985 UK career to that point 2 LP/CD

Unlike most of the other comps in the list, this one actually has unique material that is still unavailable anywhere else to this day. No new titles, but a few alternate takes/mixes.
    I can fill you in on that down the road if you want.

22. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

[​IMG] One of my favorite pictures of Dave from this time

23. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While this is not ENTIRELY an insult to Dave's solo lps around this time---tho I DO kinda hate them---it is amazing any pro at a major entertainment corp thought they could make much money selling them.

24. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Huck, not surprised that it was big in the LA area. I know the Ants were huge around there. But in your average town or city across the US, you wouldn't hear Beat My Guest. Much to everyone's loss. LOL

25. mark winstanley

I always got the impression Adam Ant didn't get much exposure in the US until Strip came out.
    Dirk Wears White Sox and King Of The Wild Frontier were great albums... and there's a bunch of singles as well...
    It's a shame they were made to rush Prince Charming... "you gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people, we're so happy we can hardly count.." :)