SH Spotlight I was asked "What album have I mastered the most?" I had to really think about it..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 14, 2022.

1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks to my mother, who loved Nat, I grew up listening to this album. I love the sound of the AP.

Thanks, mom!

2. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I still have the DCC LP as well as The Very Thought of You DCC lp. I bought some of the AP reissues as well.

RSteven and Steve Hoffman like this.
  3. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

All the white people loved Nat King Cole, for better or for worse. He was fully aware that he was the model “safe, unthreatening black man” who white people would actually feel comfortable inviting over for dinner, and got some blowback from his community for it. They were tired of hearing “Why can’t they all be more like Nat King Cole?” and accused him of whitewashing himself. I watched a documentary call Color Correction about the portrayal of black people on television that touched on this.

Dan C, head_unit, AnalogJ and 2 others like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My late Grandmother, and my Mom are why I am a Nat "King" Cole fanatic. It's in my DNA.

tootull, kt66brooklyn, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Without a doubt, those 45's and SACD's are your finest hour! And IMHO at the top of that pile of Nat's great albums, Love is the Thing reigns as King!

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That was my first thought. :agree:

longdist01 and dasacco like this.
  7. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

My all-time best bargain purchase is this copy of Steve’s long-out-of-print DCC version of “Love Is The Thing” …. for $15! The highlight for me is the inadvertent inclusion of the otherwise unreleased dry mix of “Stardust.” Such a great disc.

[​IMG]

8. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Loved reading this! Really cool historical tidbit of info. :righton:

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Capitol really didn't know what they were doing with "stereo" stuff in 1956. One microphone for the left side of the orchesta up in the air and the same for the right side of the orchestra. The third mic was on NAT for the center channel. Recorded dry, no reverb, that would be added later at the mixdown to two-track.

They were "covering" the Nat session but gear problems meant they missed the first two songs done at the first session. That's why the stereo LP has 10 songs and the mono LP has 12. The mono control room got it all but the temporary binaural experimental work station (IOW the upstairs snack bar/lounge) was just a bare room with a tape recorder and primitive set up. They didn't even have a mixer up there, and there was no way to monitor the session except with a mono headphone plugged into one channel of the Ampex 300-3. Not even a talk-back intercom with the main studio down below. Geez..

I don't know how they got anything down on tape but they made a beautiful recording once they got the bugs out.

1956 stereo is really early (but not for RCA-Victor, etc.) so we can cut them some slack. The idea to cover EVERYTHING recorded at Capitol in "binaural" didn't happen until 1958! That's why songs like "All The Way" by Sinatra in 1957 are mono only! Hard to believe but true..

Oh, the reason for making stuff in stereo was for the open reel tape market in which RCA was making a KILLING!

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Thanks Steve. That back room information is very interesting...

hodgo likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

The DCC is one of my prized possessions. My girlfriend rarely comments on the sound, but on this DCC she exclaimed WOW!

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

A lot going on in this thread. Without pouring it on, this DCC is what music is supposed to sound like. And I wonder if there is a better group of "gorts" on any other forum out there of any kind?

Jerry, RobCos02330, hodgo and 4 others like this.
  13. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Wow, thanks for the reply, Steve - this is all really fascinating. I love this sort of stuff.

In your initial post you said, "The old DCC Versions I worked on are now selling for $500.00 (Gold CD) and $900.00 (180 Gram LP). Yikes!"

With some trepidation, I am guessing that the old DCC 180 Gram LP is the one to get if my preference is vinyl. Quite a purchase but my interest is very much piqued, and sometimes it simply is what it is. :agree:

14. Steve Hoffman

I'd get the Analogue Productions 45 RPM LP version from Acoustic Sounds. Should be like 50 dollars.

15. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

In the albums that you frequently mastered, did you notice any deterioration in the master tape? Were you ever given a master tape for one remaster and then given a safety copy of the same record for a seperate, subsequent release? If so, how big of a difference in sound quality are we talking about?

supermd and George P like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Only a few times, usually tape problems are caused by bad storage by a past engineer, uneven rewind, etc.

FlorentinePogen likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

$500.00 and $900.00??

Steve, I may cave and part with the sealed stuff!

Wait, nevermind, that will only buy me three used one-steps ;)

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Seriously though, I miss DCC. Some may say "______ is the best reissue series ever!" To my ears, that was and still remains the DCC golds and lps.

The Nat's were the cherry on top.

WHMusical, BeatlesBop and hodgo like this.
  19. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

I'm always amazed when I hear these early three track stereo recordings of the 50's.
    Not only Capital's recordings of Nat King Cole, but also those lovely sounding recordings from RCA Living Stereo, Columbia etc.
    These early stereo recordings are so natural and lifelike!

It may be the best period in history of music recordings.
    It is depressing that most of today's recordings are not reaching the sound quality that was possible almost half a century ago.

20. AP SACD is the Thing.

[​IMG]

21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I adore that album. I'm especially fond of the mono mix with it's added detail due to the extra mics that were used. Just listen to the beautiful spine tingling cello on "When I Fall In Love", it's so much less audible on the stereo mix.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And in terms of Capitol, that tape line was called the "Z" series. For those without 2 track Stereo tape machines or the budget to buy one or the tapes, there's one track on Stereo LP with the original mix, which isn't DCC or Audiophile Productions. This one track is on "The Stereo Disc". Capitol later remixed "Love Is The Thing" for Stereo LP disc release and 4 track Stereo tape release. This remix never sounded as good.

23. lax luthior

lax luthior Forum Resident

Some years back, and I don't recall what publication it was in, I read your article about the challenges of remastering Cream's Wheels Of Fire.
    I haven't heard the result. How did it turn out?

mBen989 likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It wasn't uncommon back then for the mono versions of LPs to have a couple of added songs. Billie Holiday's Lady In Satin on Columbia, for example.

Having both the DCC LP and AP 45, I prefer the 45. It has a 'you-are-there'-ness that the DCC doesn't quite have. The inner detail on the AP is astonishing. The DCC sounds a bit syrupy in comparison, though still quite lovely. And you'd stick bonus tracks on the DCCs, which I loved. You can't go wrong with either.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  25. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

This is amazing how a 40 years old, than a 53 years old tape, made of iron and plastic can last so long and still deliver the beauty of the art.
    I hope we are, today, taking a good care of those treasures.