SH Spotlight I was asked "What album have I mastered the most?" I had to really think about it..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 14, 2022.

1. ChickenringNYC

ChickenringNYC Forum Resident

Glad you clarified they were black rap dudes. Had they been white rap dudes it would've made the story really lame.

2. stlblues

stlblues Forum Resident

So on this same theme what Rock album have you done the most, and what's your favorite?
    I believe I read that you would love to remaster some Zep any chance of that happening?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I did James Taylor “Sweet Baby James” 3 times, “Pet Sounds” 3 times, can’t really remember more than 3 for anything..

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thank you for the wonderful Nat discs.

My grandmother loved Nat very much. Wonderful memories.

tootull, RSteven and hodgo like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

What system are you using to listen to it?

6. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Steve, I started a thread early this morning that I've received all sorts of replies to and I just realized that out of everyone here, you would clearly know the correct answer if there is one. If you have a second, give it a quick read - it's always been a mystery to me. Thanks so much!

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

This fine piece of music for the ages? Did you give them your card, so as to remaster the 50th anniversary edition?

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

So has "Love Is The Thing" ever been put out in a three-channel mix (like a few songs on a Nat title I have, greatest hits something) or surround? (Or are the three tracks not really conducive to that?)
    And while you liked the 45 rpm, which of your digital disc masterings do you now prefer the most?

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yes, considering the lyrics "I'm a big BLACK [etc]" :laugh:

axel1975, Squad 701 and O Don Piano like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Three-channel mix? Yes, the Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds SACD. Three-channel, stereo and mono, high def and regular 16, all on the same disk. Such a deal.

bozburn, hodgo, RobCos02330 and 2 others like this.
  11. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

I've heard the Feinblatt is pretty good too, but hard to locate.

12. Steve Hoffman

The Feinblatt version uses the ****ty 1958 Capitol stereo echo remix which stinks. Worthy of his name, avoid that CD version (the original Capitol CD.)

13. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice, will avoid the Feinblatt, saved me some effort, have never found a 'Blatt in years of searching. Sounds like the Analogue Productions is within reach.

14. Steve Hoffman

Or if you have a turntable, just get the old Capitol/EMI mono LP. It sold millions all over the world. A nice condition US or German or UK version from 1957-67 would be fine. More than 20 US dollars and you're overpaying.

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have both the DCC gold CD and the AP SACD. I love this album!:righton:

RSteven likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Since I'm asking everyone, which version do you like better, the DCC CD or the AP?

17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, it has been awhile since I have listened to both discs at the same time (back to back). I will do that after Easter and report back.

hodgo, RSteven and George P like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, just curious. I made sure they did not sound alike..

hodgo, Mister Charlie and RSteven like this.
  19. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:cool:
    Same :) My grandmother loved Nat very much. Wonderful memories.

RiRiIII, hodgo and McLover like this.
  20. Steve, what were your thoughts on the original versions for this title? I'm sure you sized up the originals before to took your first run at it.

I have a yellow label Capitol Mono..unknown release date..maybe 70s?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Are you speaking of LOVE IS THE THING? You have a yellow label Capitol mono LP? I doubt that. Thing went out of print in mono in 1967. Can you confirm your 80's pressing is mono? If so that must have been a goof on someone's part!

Regarding the original versions, In 1957 there was the mono LP and 45 RPM EP set, I checked both of those, of course, both the vinyl and the tapes. Then the first reel to reel version in 1957, the "Z" version, 2 track 7 1/2 ips... Then the 1959 remix reel to reel quarter track version. Then, the stereo LP version was issued which matched the quarter track reel version (a really dud, weak, echo'ed stereo remix, dreadful)

Then, digital from the original Larry Walsh Capitol CD called "Love Is The Thing Plus" or whatever. Then, to be sure, the Capitol/EMI pressing from England both the early mono and later 10 song stereo. Same for German.

I decided that the stereo mixes sucked but the mono mix was good. I convinced Chad of Acoustic Sounds to add the mono version on to the AP SACD. After all, the close miked mono version is the one that hit #1 and stayed on the LP charts for years.. But (as I had already learned during the DCC days) the stereo version stunk and had to be remixed by me. Happily that happened, thanks to Capitol and the ever patient Kevin Gray who built a little echo room for me to add reverb..

22. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Is there a decent sounding Stereo “Love is the Thing” on CD aside from those you have worked on, that can be had for a reasonable price?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

The old Capitol CD from the late 80’s is ok.

rockerreds, John Hatter and GFaulk like this.
  24. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

What is “uneven rewind?”

25. Yeah, it's a yellow label mono. To be fair, I only assumed it was 70s because it looked too new to be an original. Maybe I got lucky and snagged an unplayed time capsule. Discogs is inconclusive but now I'm thinking it might be a '67 pressing. I bought a lot of your Nat King Cole remasters over the years but not this title as mine is good and plays like new.

Thanks for the detailed reply, very informative. Seems like the takeaway here is the original mono's were good, the original stereos, not so much.