Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

2. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

3. Major Dolphin

Major Dolphin "If music be the food of love, play on" William S.

4. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

I don't know if this is a "deal" precisely but the the Olive Signature edition of Johnny Guitar - which I believe has been out of print for a while - is for sale at the MSRP ($39.95) from a seller on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Johnny-Guitar-Olive-Signature-Blu-ray/dp/B01I6RT2FW

Looks like they've put up a few other hard to get Olive Signature films up for sale at the MSRP. Better than paying twice as much for a used copy!

5. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I received 3 albums from Amazon today.
    More of the Monkees
    Wet Leg
    Cassandra Wilson reissue.

Monkees cover bent badly bad packaging.

Wet Leg cover has bad seam split.

Cassandra Wilson badly dish warped.

Last three months I've ordered 28 records.

16 of them had to be returned/replaced.

Quality control issues are getting really out of control.

6. The QC issues are why I haven't got back on the Vinyl train (that and the price of a lot of new Vinyl).

Bless all of you who can put up with the (seemingly often) battle scars and inconvenience. I don't have that constitution.

I am quite satisfied with CDs.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

8. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

The only quality issues I've had with new vinyl was on an independent release that was mail-order direct from an obscure label, and appeared to be hand cut which doesn't mean it has to be bad. Some are excellent. My Amazon records always arrive in an LP box.

latheofheaven likes this.
  9. hype

hype Forum Resident

tbf the last year+ especially i've avoided amazon/walmart/target etc. outside of some amazing deals and spent a couple extra dollars at indie shops and more respected record shops online and my problems have probably gone down probably 90%. I rarely ever have to return anything and surprise, surprise the above companies I avoided still reign supreme with more mess ups even when doing 90% less business with them, vinyl wise at least.

I get it though, I don't blame anyone for getting out while I also don't blame anyone for still buying a lot from Amazon as I know they usually always have very tempting deals and a lot of the time it's not even on them but the actual pressing plants too which I purposely avoid a lot of releases because of this. It is kind of frustrating you have to put in a good amount of research on nearly every release if you want to improve your odds of avoiding issues.

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’ve been fortunate as well. They are still sending my orders double boxed.
    Who knows how long it’ll last, but so far so good.

hype, fretter and latheofheaven like this.
  11. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

I clicked on this link and Amazon tells me that I bought this in January. I have no memory of that. I must have put it in the "to listen to" pile, then tidied it away before getting to it. :(

PJ Harvey Hope Six Demolition Project 2022 vinyl is down to $16.51

https://smile.amazon.com/Hope-Six-Demolition-Project-LP/dp/B095LH5K6X/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1IGM0ZRACWX4N&keywords=pj+harvey&qid=1650109107&sprefix=pj+harvey,aps,140&sr=8-4

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

well, you can always walk into a record store and examine the record yourself before you buy. plus, the price of a lot of new vinyl is still around 20 bucks. less than a meal out.

13. No - on two counts :

1) I can't just walk into a record store. There are zero New/Used record stores 'round these parts. Yeah ... it sucks for me. :cry:

2) You can't inspect a sealed copy of an LP.

New copies of LPs was what I was referring to.

I have (guessing) 900 LPs dating back as far 1974 when I started to purchase LPs. Across those years it was rare that I ever had an negative issue (up until circa 1990 when the LP market was low). Nowadays, it seems QC issue are quite prevalent.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    latheofheaven, Davidmk5 and sharedon like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would there be 90% less QC issues with records you buy from indies?

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Proper storage? That’s all I can think of, honestly.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Or confirmation bias...?

fluffskul likes this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

It was just a guess based on the storage practices used in a giant warehouse vs a smaller shop that specializes in the product. YMMV, as they say.

18. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Brother, I feel your pain, I really do...

I'm PM you my address, and you can let me take those awful, troublesome albums off your hands for you, and you'll never hafta worry about them again.

It's the least I can do... :agree:

19. Thanks for the offer (LOL) but I'm talking about *not* buying (much) new vinyl because of several issues connected with present-day Vinyl maladies, which LPs didn't seem to have as much in the 70s and 80s.

I should have extended my thought about Vinyl concerning the early 90s. That's when I stopped buying LPs and went fully into CDs.

I'll gladly keep what I already have. :righton:

20. hype

hype Forum Resident

I personally made the big change after getting 6 straight records in a row that were super beat up due to awful packaging and had to all be returned so at that point I clearly needed to make a change.. Some people seem to have way better luck then I do but the last 2 years especially I get substantially more horribly shipped records. Also, from indies and places that don't drop ship the majority of there inventory or store there records in huge warehouses the chances of a warped record has gone down quite a bit I noticed as well which is likely for multiple reasons. All common sense stuff for my situation. My message wasn't anti-amazon as I still order from them every once in awhile and for anyone that isn't having chronic issues then you should feel lucky and continue on but there's plenty that do to say the least.

Plus its just nice to consistently get records in great shape and not deal with the constant headaches I was before. I simply don't have time or am not home enough to deal with a bunch of returns or talking to customer service.

21. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I have not had issues with packaging, as they are normally doubled boxed. However, I have had a number of records that were warped, dished and even off centered. I have sent them all back and some be been replaced with the same issues, which I just requested a refund.

The really weird one was Keith Richards Main Offender LP, which was recently repressed. I received 2 red vinyl LPs that were both off-centered. So I said screw it, sent both back and ordered the black vinyl. It shows up with the exact same problem. Sent it back and just ordered the CD.

Davidmk5 and latheofheaven like this.
  22. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

I must just be lucky as I rarely have issues these days…a few years ago I was getting a lot of records with warps but I don’t think I have had that issue in years.

Anyways I think this topic has been beaten to death and I find I get very little from people sharing stories about having given up on records or constantly having to send records back. It’s just so boring.

Obviously if vinyl was as bad as some say here…like you have to buy 5 copies to get something decent then nobody would keep buying it. I think it’s just people like to type posts complaining and crapping all over vinyl. Probably same people who complain about live concerts.

Matt I and rogertheshrubber like this.
  23. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I've never bought new records online, not just from Amazon, but from anywhere, :hide: so I don't get much of a say in this. But I can't imagine getting a record delivered to you in a bag! And then it turns out that it's the wrong record!

However, my CDs usually come packaged very safely, and always what I ordered. Maybe that's just luck, I dunno... :shrug:

hype and latheofheaven like this.
  24. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I have a 1,000+ LPs and 99% of my purchases have been fine over 40+ years. However, my LP purchases from Amazon have been a real problem whether you like it or not.

25. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Then don’t buy from them?

I have an ocasional rare issue…but it’s rare

Last week I got two Juana Molina records both perfect through Amazon

if I was having constant problems I wouldn’t buy from them

rogertheshrubber likes this.