Pink Floyd new song - “Hey Hey Rise Up”*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan Driscoll, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Well, that proves it. I've been put on "monitoring" alert (all my posts await moderator approval), presumably because the fascists in that group reported me for not sharing their view of the world, resulting in the censoring of a few of my posts. Keep on Rocking' in the Free World!

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  2. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Yeah totally, charity, it's perhaps the lowest rock bottom you can hit...

tkl7, Doctor Flang, shadlet and 7 others like this.
  3. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

A suggestion: How to Start a Forum: 6 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Good thing this post got through, then. :shh:

tkl7, hurdygurdygal, rontoon and 3 others like this.
  5. Just settle down, and in a few days or a week (or however long that "monitoring alert" thing lasts), and you'll be ship shape to post just like everyone else around here who knows how to follow the rules set down by our gracious host.

Note: Calling the moderators here "fascists" might not be in your best interest. Just sayin'.

6. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I had my doubts. So, kudos to the moderators for that. ;)

7. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Note:
    1. I am not talking about political comments in THIS music forum group, where I fully expect and respect discouraged political discussion. In fact, I was surprised to find so much of it apparently going through unhampered here on this thread. Someone else pointed out there was a specific "off-topic" discussion on the conflict. It was THAT group where my comments were met with friction. But how could they not? That kind of board discussion seems to ask for it. So, I wanted to see just how "open" the discussion was. I discovered the answer, which was not a surprise (i.e. mainstream narrative only).
    2. I was not referring to the moderators as "fascists." They have a tough job and deserve credit. I was referring to the whiny posters who believe only their viewpoints are worthy, and who go crying to daddy when someone has an alternative viewpoint. So, I expect the moderators just want to avoid conflict and the squeaky wheels get heard and mollified.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Your posts on this thread will disappear just like this reply of mine will, as it has nothing to do with Pink Floyd. And given that I pointed you towards the thread, where far more knowledgeable people than I reside, I suppose I have to take part of the blame.

But ask yourself if it really always makes sense to accept "alternate narratives". Would you like it if, say, I spread lies about your family?

Bakeryrec, NunoBento and Pete Puma like this.
  9. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Not quite sure I understand the implication here, other than to suggest that only “truthful” comments should be honored, as if anyone knows what “the truth” is in matters like this when everyone knows that propaganda and lies are on record for all parties involved.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  10. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

Not all lies are equal and every story having at least two sides doesn't mean all sides are in the right.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison

"Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man."
    ― The Dude

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

13. madsurfer

madsurfer Forum Resident

New version of the video with lyrics in English and in romanized Ukrainian.

14. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Apologies for going off topic again, but just to clarify: that Wiki article cites Mark Blake's book (the actual text in that book reads: “Gilmour had refused to sing it, claiming not to feel sufficient empathy with the lyrics”) but Blake gives no citation / source for this, so I'm still wondering where and if Gilmour actually said it. If he did, I don't remember it.

As noted upthread, the fact that Gilmour co-sang Have A Cigar in the studio (outtakes) and live might suggest otherwise?

15. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I've been listening to the new song a few times today. To me it sounds like the band is struggling slightly to keep up with the changes during the vocal section. I can imagine a version where the first verses had a more ambient backing, with band kicking in for the instrumental. But the guitar solo ticks the right boxes and moves nicely through its sections, I like it when Mason breaks up the beat a bit.

They should try getting together more often, in less depressing circumstances of course.

16. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

According to Wikipedia the single was released on Rhino Records:/?? What gives? Shouldn't it be Columbia and Pink Floyd Records?

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Somebody dropped that in and said it was a release on Rhino Entertainment. No source or anything provided. The Wiki page originally said Columbia, as you'd expect.

Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Pandora all have it listed as "marketed and distributed by Sony Music Entertainment", much closer to Columbia: Hey, Hey, Rise Up (featuring Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox) - Single by Pink Floyd
    Deezer has it listed as 2022 Legacy Recordings, again, still not Rhino: Hey Hey Rise Up (feat. Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox)
    All these pages come from the official link tree site listed in the original video description: Hey, Hey, Rise Up! (feat. Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox)

Never forget everything on Wikipedia is added by users and can be hilariously incorrect if a user so chooses.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  18. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

The UK singles charts also has it as Rhino.

BeatleJWOL and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  19. sandmountainslim1

That is weird

Zerox and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I assume the band does not have a record contract and could put it out with whoever could work quickest in each territory (or whowever could guarantee the most fundraising share)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  22. Doctorbox4

Doctorbox4 Forum Resident

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS FOR NICK'S SAUCERFUL SHOWS HERE.

Start a new thread if you wish to discuss these. This thread is for HEY HEY RISE UP.

Anthrax and MrCJF like this.
  23. Bakeryrec

Bakeryrec Forum Resident

I prefer this song over the Louder Than Words vocal track that ends the otherwise instrumental The Endless River, which I thoroughly enjoy save for that tune, which I find to be ruined by the dreadful, IMO, lyrics. I’ll tag this one on to my playlist of The Endless River and replace Louder Than Words with it and be a happy Pink Floyd camper. Put another way, I prefer this to be the “last” song that appears under the PF banner than Louder Than Words, so I’m all good with it.

sandmountainslim1 and sharedon like this.
  24. sandmountainslim1

I cannot agree more. This song is easily 10 times better than louder than words and a much more fitting final single.

Bakeryrec likes this.
  25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

No physical single mentioned at RSD.com.

BUMMER