uDiscover Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by I Have Been Floated, Nov 25, 2019.

1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You should see my receipt! LOL

hutlock likes this.
  2. hype

hype Forum Resident

I wonder if that is them trying to over correct the loophole people talked about in here with the signup points? They end up just making legitimate customers that earned there points go through extra hoops as well haha.. Pretty crazy how these big errors keep happening to such a massive company who are clearly cheapening out on the web design side of things which in turn have screwed themselves for significantly more.

I hope they fix it because I have like $90 sitting in Udiscover right now waiting on another big sale and def. don't want to do 90 separate point cash outs :shake:

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I had to do that last time i bought a bunch of stuff over & over & over like 20 times +

4. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

… they are exactly what you’d expect from a direct to consumer outfit. Sloppy and somewhat indifferent about the financial aspects of their transactions. From the discounts, codes, etc. to what they sell and how they manage customer service. Their customer service is wildly inconsistent. From almost nonexistent to frivolously kind. I ordered a couple GNR Locked n Loaded box sets (buy one get the other half off) and figured I’d sell the guts and end up keeping a couple of the vinyl and both those cool boxes for free. They lost one in the mail (I think they never sent it), and when I requested a refund for the lost item I was particularly focused on making sure they wouldn’t just refund the 50% value of one box. They refunded the whole thing - for both of them. They don’t care. Also … sometimes they sell regular versions of pressings and then send a copy of a rare “OOP” limited edition pressing from several years ago. ;)

uDiscover is only outmatched in absurdity by MovieMars, but both have upside that matches their downsides, so they keep their fangs in you.

5. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Yeah, I generally only order from them for special items as they are one of the few sellers who let you use discounts on new release box sets. Plus the fact that I can now use my reward points AND discounts together...they make it an appealing purchase monetarily speaking...even if it is a cumbersome process.

hutlock likes this.
  6. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

That's par for the course haha - their sign up bonus undoubtedly cost them a lot of money without doing anything about it for a very long time. I've also received a lot of limited edition copies when it was advertised as black (their entire stock of Petty's Best of Everything was the clear, numbered variant). Sound of Vinyl also restocks some crazy rare records too, though it's a hit or miss whether or not they fulfill your order.

hutlock and FWatty like this.
  7. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

They don't have to worry about taking some losses. They probably make twice as much per record direct to consumer on their website than they would at wholesale. I'm just surprised they run so many big sales and give generous bonus points. Almost no other manufacturer would undercut their wholesale accounts by selling at 30-40% off on their own website. I'm certainly not complaining, mind you.

Regarding the complaints, I've never had a problem with delivery or condition from either uDiscover, MusicVaultz, or Sound of Vinyl. I've done many orders between the three of them. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't get my What's Going On? LP that I pre-ordered from uDiscover in December, but it showed up a few days after the release date.

Am I just lucky?

Matthew Tate and hutlock like this.
  8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Nope, same experience with me.

Buggyhair likes this.
  9. throwingthings

throwingthings Well-Known Member

not in the grand scheme of things at the world's largest music conglomerate, no.
    but considering that there was nothing stopping people from using the UD/SOV rewards system to get records completely for free, for months if not years...i wouldn't be surprised if heads were rolling.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

When I cashed mine in at the end of January, I got over $300 worth of records for $88. And I got most of the points from buying during their 40% off sale, with a few more at 30% off.

I'd say the only better deal I've ever gotten was when I got a couple of Beatles mono boxes from MusicVaultz for under $170 just before they went out of print.

11. killerofgiants

uDiscover/SOV has always done right by me - if an order is somehow not being fulfilled a simple email usually pushes it through and it ships within a few days. A lot of the packaging issues (split seams/etc) are usually from FedEx being way too rough with it. Their orders from USPS and UPS usually come through fine but it's a crapshoot which one they choose. In the insane amount of orders I've placed with them, only one has been cancelled due to them being unable to fulfill it.

12. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was hoping for an Easter sale.

mrjinks and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

The best sales seem to be at the end of the year, Nov/Dec. Maybe it's an accounting or hitting sales numbers thing.

marcb and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

My record collection has certainly benefited from uDiscover's business practices.

I have a couple of observations...
    1. The more we talk about specifics of how we get good deals, using a vaguely condescending tone, the more likely it is that someone from uDiscover will see, hear and do something about it.
    2. In general, given the inflationary times we live in, and demand often exceeding supply for products all over the map including vinyl, I think we're unlikely to see the kind of discounts we've seen in the recent past at uDiscover and also Target and matching by Amazon. I'd love to be wrong, but personally I think those days are over.

hutlock likes this.
  15. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Where uDiscover is concerned, I've thought those days are over every one of the past 5 or so years, but the train keeps rolling. They're not traditional retailers, they're the manufacturer. It's direct to consumer. That puts them in a different class from Target or Walmart or any other store, and more able to offer nice deals and still turn a profit.

16. hype

hype Forum Resident

Yup, what is being forgotten is that the resurgence also caused a massive amount of vinyl being pressed that's just sitting on store shelves/in Warehouses that is taking up extremely valuable real estate. I'd honestly be very surprised if we didn't see more big sales from Udiscover/SoV again late in the year.

A good example with RSD a few days away is look how much dead stock from last years RSD there is at a bunch of record stores and then take a look at the absolutely insane pressing numbers a ton of this years RSD releases are getting, 10k-18k+ on many of them. Some of these will absolutely still fly off the shelves but I guarantee there is going to be a lotttttt of leftover.

Davidmk5 and mrjinks like this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I was referring mainly to the jazz reissues - BN Classics and Tone Poets, AP Impulse titles - that I focus on during these sales. We've already seen price increases and restrictions on what is discounted in that category and I doubt we'll see them discounted 30-40% as we have in the recent past. I'm guessing 20-25% max discounts on this category going forward.

Manufactured, contrived "rarities" developed for RSD are mostly a different matter, IMO. I agree that the market is becoming more saturated with those, over-saturated in many cases. There have been a couple of instances where I bought a title on or just after RSD with FOMO in mind, only to see prices drop in following weeks. Lesson learned.

Again, I'd love to be wrong about my prognostications regarding these sales. Time will tell..

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Disagree. They want sales. More people discussing deals gets more people to spend more money there.

Sure they've clamped down on some of the gaming, but highly unlikely they pay people to troll audiophile forums looking for reasons to revoke deals. Besides, all the data is in front of them. They can see how people got discounts -- everything is in their database.

hutlock and GentleSenator like this.
  19. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there's a stackable coupon code that will work with the current 15% off sale?

20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I tried a bunch and none worked, i wouldve gone ham if i couldve found one

Nrochie4184 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Trying to place an order for the latest Blue Note classics.
    Site says 15 percent off, but no code ans prices are regular price.
    So I tried using a new email with the UD20OFF code and Comeback code... no luck. Keeps telling me I haven't met he required amount for coupon.
    I even tried a 15 off code from a wheel spin. No discount.

Maybe there will be a new sale for memorial day....

22. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Right, it seems all the coupon codes are disabled because they're running a sitewide 15% off. lame.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

But it also seems like the prices are regular price

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Looks like the site wide 15% off excludes the most recent Blue Note Classic Series and Verve Acoustic Sounds Series preorders.

hutlock and aoxomoxoa like this.
  25. killerofgiants

They really cracked down on this, I think they might have even blocked my address from ordering.