New movie "Licorice Pizza" by Paul Thomas Anderson, out now.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Denim Chicken, Sep 27, 2021.

1. I took a break from watching this about halfway in. It looks pretty good streaming in 4K HDR.

It's a strange film though, which in one way means that I like it, and in another way it means I don't.

I can say this much: the cast is amazing! There are no darling Hollywood-pretties in this film. At least on that level, it's a dose of reality.

Okay, off to watch the second half. (11:14pm)

(12:28am) Eh, it was okay. They didn't have to tell the story in several different ways to get to the point. I'm glad I watched it, though.

In the end, is this love, or a celebration of dating a minor?

Ghostworld and twicks like this.
  2. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

I think the film views maturity outside of age, which is obviously very dodgy but helps it make sense. Traumatic events keep happening to both of them and they're always there for each other.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Kristofa, Hyacinth House and Michael like this.
  3. zoostation

The first time I saw it, my brain kinda shut down from the overload. The second time I saw it, it really started to make sense; the subtleties and whatnot: alluding to Old Hollywood screwball comedies to set up their relationship, showing the complexities of age dynamics, etc.

Dee Zee, Hyacinth House and Michael like this.
  4. zoostation

Yes, Joel regularly calls a staff member to "bring" him items to throw off the private eye

5th-beatle likes this.
  5. zoostation

Did you ever see it?

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I loved it she liked it but not as much as I loved it!: )

zoostation likes this.
  7. zoostation

Favorite parts?

Michael likes this.
  8. zoostation

Man, when he says "It's hard to tell, I don't speak Japanese"
    :laugh:

9. Michael

actually the entire movie...I enjoyed the relationship! I really can't say there were any parts that turned me off...I loved her...yours?

10. zoostation

Having seen it twice, the Sean Penn part really stuck with me better. Anderson shows but doesn't tell so masterfully, he can imply an entire life in just a few minutes.

I also loved the Haim family scenes
    "excuse me?" :laugh:

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

I laughed my ass off on that! he's speaking in Japanese phrasing in English OMG! loved it...my wife loved that part as well...

12. Michael

ah ha ha indeed...

13. Michael

what they lacked in age was made up by their intelligence level of which IMO were equal...they really worked well off each other.

zoostation likes this.
  14. zoostation

Exactly, they push each other to be better "adults" as the film goes on to the point where they go from high school photographer's assistant and child actor to mayoral candidate employee and business owner

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

....could it have been any better?! NO...just perfect.

notesfrom and zoostation like this.
  16. Michael

how about the scene "Show me your breasts"...NO! then she decides to show him... after seeing them he replies "Can I touch them"? SMACK! priceless...hysterical!

zoostation likes this.
  17. zoostation

Gary being her first "boyfriend" definitely explains a lot

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

Indeed!

19. In the sense that it's illegal, sure it makes sense. US law doesn't consider maturity. It's only concerned with the line in the sand. That's probably the way it should be, because who's going to protect the immature?

I enjoyed the movie (especially the refreshing cast), but after I finished watching, the first thing that crossed my mind was, What if the guy was 25 and the female 15? This would be a totally different thread.

zoostation and twicks like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

PTA fan, but upon first watch didn't care for it. Some good sequences , but nothing that really interested me. It all seemed sort of... pointless.

I won't write it off yet, though, as I didn't like "Inherent Vice" at first either. But then I found that I kept thinking about certain sequences and watched it again. Then again. And then I started liking it.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Ghostworld, trumpet sounds and twicks like this.
  21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

My second favourite PTA film after another viewing...not really made for the folks who find There Will Be Blood to be some kind of masterpiece (lol).
    I have trouble with most contemporary films set in 60s/70s/80s but this one hit all the right notes for me...although this continually distracted me
    from its rom-com chassis until the last ten minutes or so. The fact that Anderson can draw hilarious and memorable performances out of the featured
    big-name 'cameo' players whose work I usually despise (Sean Penn, and Bradley Cooper) shows Anderson as a director who has truly mastered his art.

[​IMG]

22. TACOTACO

TACOTACO Forum Resident

Zero desire to watch this one again.

And I don't ever say that about PTA films.

MichaelH, aroney and SirCandy like this.
  23. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

This movie was awful.

MichaelH likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched this movie on one of my recent long plane trips.

It did not grab me. I wanted it to. I should be the prime audience, as I went to high school in the Valley, not too far from the timeframe of the movie. I liked certain scenes. But, to me, the characters were not compelling enough and the story was not compelling enough. Quirky and at points interesting, but not compelling. By the end, I didn't really care that much what happened to anyone.

(And, as an aside, who has a plot point be opening a pinball arcade without actually showing any of the machines? That just seemed cheap (let's not bother with the cost of getting the right machines for the time frame)).

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What’s your number one PTA?

Lightworker likes this.