SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

So a bit more from Michael...on the Crew sessions:

A couple of other things about that subject...if you read Internet info about Hal and Jim, you'll see that they often worked on the same projects, and that Jim often filled in for Hal when Hal was double-booked or otherwise busy. Therefore, it's reasonable to conclude that the pay schedule for the Forever Changes session might very well have read that Hal was scheduled to play the session, but got busy at the last minute, called Jim (as he often did) and Jim showed up and played,...something the paper trail might not reflect. So, it's possible Bruce and others are basing their conclusions on who played on what according to bogus paper work, I guess. Hard to know really.

Otherwise, barring that (or similar) scenario, it's hard to figure how Bruce and others could make such a glaring mistake.
    Anybody with any knowledge of drumming at all (or even a basic knowledge of music in general) couldn't listen to the drumming on "Ricki Don't Lose That Number," and the drumming on "Daily Planet," and NOT conclude it's the same guy. Jim plays so many of the exact same licks, and with the same emphasis... you can't copy that kind of thing.

As far as me playing on "Andmoreagain," I remember vividly deciding what to play, how to play it, and then playing it on the cut...the mixed floor and mounted tom softly stroked on .."and you feel your heart beating, rum pum, pum, pum," you know...like a heart beat. I wrote it and I played it.
    Like I said about the night at Spaceland, when the guy who worked with Jim Gordon at May Company hit me up with the question about the drumming on "Daily Planet,"... you have to make certain to give credit where credit is due. Robbing somebody of their legacy (even if it's a careless mistake) is unconscionable.

Same with Carol Kaye taking the credit for playing bass on "Andmoreagain." What a ridiculous claim. You can hear it's Kenny. Same style. Same sound (obviously NOT the Fender Precision bass Carol always played). Same everything.

End of rant.
    Take care buddy, Michael

WilliamWes, Six Bachelors and Jon H. like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's obviously Michael playing on every song 'cept that one. Besides his style, the way the drums are miked on his kit makes it obvious.

3. lemonade kid

Thanks, Steve. It is good to have someone with such a good ear for details like how the drums were miked!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just a note here, the reason I thought it was Hal Blaine on drums on "Planet" is that I was told it was and, the countoff sounds like Hal to me. Same voice as his little vocal solo on the Beach Boys Amusement Parks USA record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY180tcXYC0

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    John DeAngelis and WilliamWes like this.
  5. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I didn't notice these posts until just now. It's difficult to sort out the players.

I actually came here since I'm feeling a little nostalgia. I started this thread when I first came to the forum and it was a reason I ended up writing the book. I feel like I'm tying this moment to my beginning here by saying that there's a new book on Love called 'Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee'. It's available in paperback and Kindle versions on Amazon. It was a lot of fun like this thread and thanks everyone who contributed here - it gave me the will to do something further.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Shining...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1639526515&sr=8-1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  6. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Awesome that your book is out William!

I wanna get it but the paperback is out of stock on Amazon? I see one available but I don't think it will ship to Singapore where I am.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't notice these posts until just now. It's difficult to sort out the players.

I actually came here since I'm feeling a little nostalgia. I started this thread when I first came to the forum and it was a reason I ended up writing the book. I feel like I'm tying this moment to my beginning here by saying that there's a new book on Love called 'Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee'. It's available in paperback and Kindle versions on Amazon. It was a lot of fun like this thread and thanks everyone who contributed here - it gave me the will to do something further.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Shining...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1639526515&sr=8-1

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Chris Schoen and WilliamWes like this.
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

[/QUOTE]
    Hi Auralden, I signed out and went to the Singapore Amazon site and then entered a Singapore for the address. When I looked up the book, it displayed 'in stock' and it looks like it will ship too. Maybe give it another try today or tomorrow? Thanks for the interest and I hope it works out. If not let me know.

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Hi Auralden, I signed out and went to the Singapore Amazon site and then entered a Singapore for the address. When I looked up the book, it displayed 'in stock' and it looks like it will ship too. Maybe give it another try today or tomorrow? Thanks for the interest and I hope it works out. If not let me know.[/QUOTE]

Thank you William! Looks like I can do it that way.

WilliamWes and lemonade kid like this.
  9. Signed DG

Signed DG Dune buggy rentals

Which Moby Grape songs? I’m a fan of both LoVE and Skip’s ‘Oar’ but unfamiliar with MG. Thinking to check some out…

10. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I have still never heard Oar.....damn, why is it taking me this long! It's on my list...
    I really love that Moby Grape debut album. It really excites me still to hear it. It's almost as good as Forever Changes, but that is a top ten album of all time for me.

sharedon, Chris Schoen and Signed DG like this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like the songs on the Granite Creek album.

12. Chris Schoen

Oar is a very dark album, depressing and poor mental state of mind (imo). Not recommended.

13. Signed DG

Thanks - will check it out.

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

this one doesn't get as much notoriety as the debut and I like it only a smidge less...

15. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Thanks for the warning!

16. Signed DG

‘Oar’ is overflowing with singular creativity! So for me it’s the absolute antitheses of ‘depressing’.

An outstanding achievement, recognized as such by the likes of Robert Plant, Beck, and Bobby Gillespie.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Johnny Formica and lemonade kid like this.
  17. Signed DG

See my comment above and don’t be discouraged!

Cool Chemist likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

And Moby Grape '69!!

Signed DG likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

Gotta say I disagree! OAR is a singular achievement for a man in such a state! Genius at work...
    I like to think of Skip as the Van Gogh of musicians!

Chris Schoen, LFSDoc and Signed DG like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

Ya, "such a state" is a good description.

21. Signed DG

Empathy!

lemonade kid likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

I actually saw Moby Grape (in '78?) with "Skippy" at a small club in San Francisco (The Shady Grove).
    It was about the time they recorded "Live Grape", and the lineup included Cornelius Bumpus.
    Skippy was a real piece of work, and someone you definitely had to keep your eye on...

lemonade kid and Signed DG like this.
  23. Signed DG

I mean, the guy was ill…

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. Chris Schoen

He was something.

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. Signed DG

:laugh: