The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

The myth is that Page played the solo on You Really Got Me, not on All Day and All Of The Night. And it's fake, Dave denied it, Page denied it, Shel Talmy denied it.

Edit : apparently the myth was recycled by Ray but applied to All Day And All Of The Night in a 1981 interview. As Keith Richards said about Mick Jagger, "Don't believe a word he says in interviews" (or something to that effect)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  2. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I just realized that @Zack's link didn't work because the forum automatically screwed up the html link due to inappropriate language.

I think it's funny.

3. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm doing a little better, definitely. I'd like to be better but it's been a small but significant upward trend over the last few days: I'm bouncing rather than splatting flat when the bad thoughts come along, anyway, if that makes sense.

4. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

For the record:

"Page has always denied playing the song's guitar solo, going so far as to state in a 1970s interview cited in Sound on Sound magazine that "I didn't play on 'You Really Got Me' and that's what pisses him [Ray Davies] off."

So it's not Page spreading or propagating the myth.

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I’m 90 per cent sure that the Jimmy Page thing dates back to the 60s when The Kinks were young upstarts on the UK pop scene and London’s nascent guitar hero community were somewhat rattled by the sudden appearance of their brash, innovative sound from nowhere. The kernel of truth that the myth originated from is that Jimmy Page was involved on the first Kinks LP in a limited capacity: you can see how this would easily grow into something more substantial through pub Chinese whispers and the like.

6. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Now that @sharedon has stuck his neck out, I too must come forward, risking flagellation. For me Wild Man was the A-Side and I nearly wore it out back in ‘87/‘88. I was an angry young man and didn’t know why, and since it was impossible to decipher those lyrics I could apply it to anything I was feeling. Wild Man still finds it’s way onto Dave mixes (in-house ones anyway) and still gets some ear-time every now and again. Now that I’m an angry middle-aged man (with a much better idea of why), it’s still, if not soothing, then cathartic. As for the actual A-side, I do appreciate Imaginations Real much more today, especially the wonderful live version on Bottom Line.

7. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

I think Glamour will receive a warmer reception, if there’s anyone left to receive it by then. His next two solo lp’s are more accessible, especially the third one, Chosen People. Naturally, they both fared worse commercially.

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Got it. I’m just pointing out that in my world that doesn’t come close to ‘hate’. I can be pissed, I can call someone (even a friend) a less than flattering name but it doesn’t constitute hatred. Pet peeve, maybe, but this is how a little snippy/tense moment in the Let It Be movie gets blown all out of proportion.

9. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

The World Is Changing Hands: (Dave sings in high register: Fighting ... for our souls to make us freeeee, you and meeeeee.) I love this part of the verse and how it transitions to the two-part chorus. The verse starts with a typical Em, Am, B, (i, iv, V) then at the you and meeeeee vocal makes a dramatic and unexpected change to D# (a sharpened 4th). The chorus goes on to play major chords on the same minor scale introduced in the verse (G, D, C). So that composition works really well to build and release the energy: minor chords, to the unexpected D#, then to the major and those strident guitars that counter the vocals in the two-part chorus; "The world is changing hands"/da da da da da da da, "we are spirit we are free"/da da da da da da de. I find this all very exciting and full of energy.

Another neat thing is that unusual but brief intro that is somewhat detached from the rest of the composition, it reminds me of some Police song I can't think of (afterthought - maybe On Any Other Day?). I think the layering of the clean and distorted guitars sound great here, and it's all wrapped up in under 3 minutes - excellent song!

Move Over: AFL1 has great sequencing IMO, and the transition from the modern sound of The World Is Changing Hands to the straight-ahead rock in Move Over works really well for me as a palette cleanser. I love how the drums and symbols brutally hammer the downbeats during "No de-gree of immuni-ty" part, the sheer, raucous rowdiness of it gives me a charge. I also like how the crawling flanger effect on the guitar during the chorus adds just a touch of modern flavor. Dave's vocals are really raw here, I can see why some wouldn't like it, but for me it's kind of a marvel how he keeps ramping up the energy until he's pretty much screaming, and the sheer audacity of it has kind of a train-wreck appeal for me - when he sings the "yeah yeah yeah yeah" into that heavy reverb he sounds like someone ad libbing with a karaoke machine :laugh:.

10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"The World Is Changing Hands"
    I'm not sure that is a good thing! It does sound like it could have been a hit. The world would be cursing it today in the same conversations with Jefferson Starship songs. It starts out like it might be a "My Sharona" type of rocker, but it quickly moves into this weird soft rock anthem. I'll give it to Dave that it is darn catchy. I just have to hope that I don't start singing it around the house or I might get thrown out on the curb. :) The big 80s style production works for this song because where else could it have went? It is what it is, and after three listens this morning, I have had all that I need of it for a lifetime. I really want to know what Ray thought of this album and if it made him nauseous.

"Move Over"

Now I'm starting to wonder if Dave even liked this music or if he was just trying to have a hit. The start of the song reminds me of "Burn To Shine" by Ben Harper. The rhythm guitar sound and the tempo are very similar. Was Ben borrowing ideas from this little known Dave song? I must say that I am not a Ben Harper fan, but I do like that song. He played a festival I attended and it was the most excruciating concert I have ever witnessed. He wouldn't get off the stage! Just when you thought the torture was over, he would start another song! Anyhow, I like "Burn To Shine" much more than "Move Over", but this isn't the worst song on the album, so at least it has that going for it.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D:D

12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Don't such dumb arguments make rock and roll great though? I mean is there anything more important than what some guy said fifty years ago about another guy regarding a song? Of course not.

Steve62, Smiler, Fortuleo and 6 others like this.
  13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

The World Is Changing Hands
    This just comes across to me as a sort of superficially thought out new agey bit packaged in '80s rock format. I suppose there's nothing really wrong with the sentiment itself, but if you're going to express some sort of enlightened guru message, the lyrics really need to be less trite.

Move Over
    I'm pretty well in tune with what Mark said, although I'm not quite as put off by the production.

Two 50/50 songs today.... I can take or leave either of them at any given moment.

14. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

The intro for this one is nice, but almost too quick! This has some early 80s Ozzie Osbourne vocals... not particularly my cup to tea vocally, but I do like the intro riff and different layers of guitar.

Move Over

Again, I do like the intro here, and this intro would fit in perfectly on Low Budget. But...this time, it's at least 12 bars too long. But the groove is nice, and although I am not familiar with many of Bob Seger's songs, I get a Seger vibe from this intro groove. But then when the vocals come in, Dave starts out ok, but then rather quickly gets beyond his range and I think the song suffers from it as the song progresses. I don't know how it's possible that anybody can transcribe lyrics from listening to this song.

I liked yesterday's songs better.

15. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I used to work with the guy that made that same claim (although about YRGM also). He always used to say “the kinks aren’t that great, they needed Led Zeppelin to do their guitar solo”. I always used to respond by saying “who played the guitar solo?“ And he would always respond “Led Zeppelin”. I found this particularly funny because he thought that Jimmy page‘s name was Led Zeppelin.

… and no, I don’t think for a second that Jimmy page played that solo or the one in ADAAOTN!.

16. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Visionary Dreamer
    I might like this one. It has a nice groove. Like a summer's day, perhaps.
    The chorus is quite nice. This is my favorite song so far...even though the mixing is quite uneven (if I'm using the right term).

Nothing More to Lose
    Overall, this is not my style of music, especially as it nears the end. Sounds like Ozzy Osborne or similar. We do get to hear Dave singing a bit lower on here which is different.

Dave really needed someone to help sort some of this stuff out. Maybe some good ideas and sounds here, but just not enough to make for a fully realized song.

17. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Here's a blog post that I found via KindaKinks.net about someone who first saw the live in 1983:

A Rock N' Roll Fantasy

18. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

The World is Changing Hands
    No. Pass.
    not to mention the sound is very muddy. Nothin' poppin' here.

Move Over
    OMG...the reverb is horrible. It pains me to say...is this amateur (recording) hour?
    No. Pass.

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I like the title and Dave's basic lyrical idea but for me it all sounds a bit cheesy and dated production wise.
    It sounds like heavy reverb on the voice and there's some keys or synth that I find to be quite obtrusive and at times a bit clunky.
    Power pop is fine but as another Avid mentioned for just one example, Pat Benatar did it way better in every respect.

20. All Down The Line

Move Over

A bit generic or simple though this time around I can more often understand what Dave is singing though as Mark has pointed out his delivery does soon get to be a bit overwrought.
    The lead guitar on the last track was good however the notable feature of it on Move Over is it sounds more Kinky!

21. All Down The Line

I recall a Dave Davies interview in a guitar magazine where he was also asked about the claims made at one time by Jimmy Page.
    Dave was calm and more circumspect than Ray and basically said that with Mommy's stature and all that he has achieved Dave couldn't work out why he would even make such a claim.

Fortuleo, The late man, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Just curb your enthusiasm and declare you are an innocent criminal.

23. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Just wanted to thank the ever thoughtful Avid @DISKOJOE for checking in on me and yes, I have been hospitalized with Vasculitis, a rare immune disorder that will cause me to be on kidney dialysis for some time but doesn't look to be a permanent issue. I'm responding well to treatment but it's actually a LAW in New York that I can't be released from here until my outpatient appointments are established. Unlike many in my situation, I am otherwise completely functional and mobile and in a position to help others not as fortunate. I talk about it on my recent podcast episodes if you care to tune in and don't be surprised to hear a Kinks tune or two along the way. Thank all for your tremendous support. It means everything!

Colvin Brothers on Z93

24. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I just checked. I have AFL, Glamour and Chosen People. And a boot called Hole in the Sock with a bunch of the late 60s stuff.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Love and prayers mate... I will look forward to hearing you are 100% soon