What did you enjoy more if you experienced all of them, buying new LPs, cassettes or cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I like shopping for CD's because they sounded soooooo much better than records.:wantsome:

ARK and timind like this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

You haven't seen anything yet. You'll have to double ignore me because I don't think the Are You Experienced UHQR is any better than the $15 Marino and I also don't think the 50th What's Going On sounds all that great.

ARK likes this.
  3. I'm going to be in the minority but cassettes, because I could always listen to them in our vehicles on the way home.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have more CDs than any other format, but I enjoyed buying cassettes and records too. New music is new music.:)

I do remember as a kid in the 70s that buying a new single (when I could afford it) was an immense joy. If it had a picture sleeve, even better! The fact I couldn’t buy records as often as I wanted made the ones I did get extra special.

Cassettes were the least enticing format, but I even enjoyed getting those. The portability was a big pull.:) It did used to annoy me that cassettes were a poor deal though. Not only were they temperamental, the vinyl equivalent offered much more in the way of packaging, yet records and cassettes were the same price!

But maybe because I’ve been a CD fan for 37 years, I like buying them best. Who knows?:)

Front Row, kundryishot and timind like this.
  5. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I was an LP shopper/collector, but stopped when I knew CDs were coming along.

Shopping for CDs in the early days was a time like I've never experienced.

timind likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

LP was my first love, so CDs weren't quite as exciting. As far as Cassettes, I only bought blank tapes to rip my LPs. Pre-recorded cassettes sucked!

7. vinylphonatic

vinylphonatic Active Member

Never got excited about buying cassette tapes. It was usually out of necessity to play in the car or something. I did enjoy recording from FM radio and copying when I got my first dual cassette player. My first real excitement with CDs is when I bought of copy of American Beauty--the details and clarity were mindblowing. Nothing matches my vinyl purchases, especially now that I am a little better informed about sound quality and pressings. The artwork and tactile experience is unmatched compared with cds and cassettes. I just wish they didn't weigh so much!!

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Pretty much like this:

Shopping for LPs
    Shopping for books
    Shopping for cookware
    Shopping for clothes
    Shopping for CDs
    having a malignant melanoma removed
    first colonoscopy
    three-year-long depressive episode as a teenager
    oral reconstruction surgery and bone grafting
    the death of my favorite cat
    the entirety of my wife's two-year-long cancer scare
    Shopping for cassettes

timind and Simoon like this.
  9. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Why is the title of this thread in past tense?

Originally, buying LP's.

This it the time I was just starting my musical journey, and discovering new bands, genres, artists.

Now, it is pretty equally spread between LP's, CD's and hi-res files. Probably leaning a bit more toward CD's and hi-res files.

CD's and files is where I am discovering new music, so those are the formats I am having the most fun with.

Never cassette. Back in the pre CD days, the only reason to have cassettes was to listen in the car. I could record my own, vastly superior, cassettes to listen in the car, than to buy prerecorded cassettes.

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Bought all three depending on what was available but even with new there's nothing like getting a quality new album, then or now, with the edge over CDs. I had a cassette phase and enjoyed getting new cassettes, but a distant third place format really... often solely a 'can't afford the LP and there is no CD' choice later.

Have always loved getting sharp new LPs (and EPs and other 7"ers) from Sundazed, Norton and other such labels! Treasures!!! :drool:

11. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Having bought all three formats, nothing beats flipping through a bin of LP's. Leafing through CD's was kinda fun while they had long boxes but you couldn't fit nearly as many titles in the same space so it always seemed to take longer to peruse. Ditto cassettes which were usually on a wall / locked up behind glass where you could only see their spines making them much harder to browse if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for.

StuHssn likes this.
  12. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Started with LPs in the 60's and they are still my favorites. Then in the early 70's got into Reel-to-Reel cassettes and 8 tracks. Some pre-recorded but mostly selections from my LP collection. Then in the early 80's got a CD player (83 or 84 I think) and had quite a fun time buying new CDs especially as I was waiting for my favorite bands to be released on CDs. 10 years later, in the 90's got heavily back into LPs and continued to buy CDs (both classical music and classic rock). Lately got interested back in buying reel-to-reel tapes and cassettes. Also, I enjoy buying Blu-Ray concert films with surround sound.

To enjoy all of the above, you really need to have good hardware and source material.

13. birkomat

birkomat Member

I'm the one weirdo that still likes cassettes. I was recording songs onto the tapes from live radio. There was a physical blocking system for recording on some of the cassettes. An empty square at the corner, which I fill with some tissue or paper to be able to record on it.

Sound quality? Yes, it sucks!

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

"Cars and Movement." I forgot about the 8-track player I had in my 72' Pinto wagon. The only tape I remember owning was T-Rex, Electric Warrior. I'm sure I had a few more, just do recall titles. And riding around in a friends Pontiac LeMans during the spring of 1970. He had three tapes, Revolver, Santana, and Led Zeppelin II. Although I loved it at the time, I haven't been able to listen to LZII since 73 or so.

zphage and Fruff76 like this.
  15. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

LPs because I actually enjoy owning and listening to them. I bought CDs because it was a means to an end. My dad used to say you don't own it till you own it on Vinyl. Nowadays I'm either listening to LPs or streaming Apple lossless.

16. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

I enjoyed both vinyl and CDs (never liked pre-recorded cassettes). I picked vinyl because it was just a better era for record stores overall (I guess there’s a reason they’re called record stores).

17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

LPs. Cool to look at sleeve and inner sleeve and sometimes a bonus insert while actively listening.

CDs 2nd because they sometimes had good notes too.

Cassettes almost never did and if they did it was tough putting the thing back in the box. :)

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

LPs because when I began “investing” my allowance on music it was the only game in town.

You always remember your first love.

timind likes this.
  19. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

CDs, as there's less to go wrong defect-wise. That said, I miss the artwork on LPs. There's nothing I miss about cassettes.

Front Row and timind like this.
  20. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

He'll be inconsolable :D

ARK and timind like this.
  21. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

LPs for me. I was one of the many who scrutinised liner notes before buying :)

timind likes this.
  22. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

Also when I was growing up in the late 90s 2000s you good get used LPs for a lot cheaper then CDs so I really discovered so much music that way.

Man at C&A and timind like this.
  23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Now, it’s records. When I was young it was cassettes, then cds. Nothing like going to the record store or mall, buying a cassette or cd, and immediately ripping off the cellophane and playing it in my car.

Whoroger89 likes this.
  24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Making tapes was a blast. I miss that.
    Currently having sort of the same fun with Amazon streaming playlists.
    Still buying CD's and LP's though.

pez likes this.
  25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

LPs because you could get your parakeet stoned, set the turntable to 16 2/3 RPM, and watch him walk around in circles talking to himself.

Whoroger89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.