Your Current DIY Project Pictorial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

There are a lot of people around here making some very cool DIY projects, thought it might be fun to just have an all-inclusive picture thread where people could post a couple pictures of their latest project and maybe a few words. It can be anything audio-related, cables, speaker builds and upgrades, amp mods and builds, tonearms and turntables, cartridge mods, isolation platform, acoustic panels, power supplies, etc, even just some helpful build techniques.

It's not intended to take the place of the more extensive and always interesting build threads some of you have created, but just a fun picture thread for exchanging ideas and showing off some of your mad skills!

I always have a few projects going on, and I'm kind of in the middle of a couple right now so will post some of my own pictures later. But it's not intended to be my thread, I'm just doing the typing part, so let's see some of those cool projects :)

PS: For those that haven't yet mastered the picture posting protocol around here, most of us just upload the pictures to a free hosting site like Imgur: The magic of the Internet and then copy the image link here so that it displays in your post. I like to create an account so I can maintain my images and remove or edit them later, but you don't need to create an account at most of the sites to upload an image. The main thing is to make sure you have the link to the image file for posting here, not the webpage it is on, so it should have one of the common image file extensions, like png, or jpg, or gif, etc. For example, below is the start of one of my current DIY projects, showing the code to post the image from imgur, with the img tags ...

Code:
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/xeaRRGy.png[/img]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    berndt, Spazotron3000, james and 10 others like this.
  2. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’ll start. I’ve been playing with some full range drivers in boxes, which is a departure from my usual open baffle obsession. I’m using Lii Audio 6 and 8” silver series drivers. I hesitate to label the enclosure type, the interior is in the form of a tqwt but isn’t long enough to meet those requirements.
    [​IMG]

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

In case you haven't noticed there is an albino snake creeping into your speaker.

4. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Sometimes the ideas come quicker than the ups man can deliver a pair of binding post.

Grootna, Triffid, tmtomh and 5 others like this.
  5. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It probably sounds better than adding different metals in the way.

Crang and okc_craft like this.
  6. JMT

JMT Senior Member

First attempt:

[​IMG]

Second attempt (not completed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bingo Bongo, Tim 2, T69 and 34 others like this.
  7. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

A thread like this is long overdue Davey, so thank you for creating it. I look forward to being consistently jealous of all the fine woodworking on display.

Some of this has already posted about in my Aikido thread, but I'm currently attempting to get a new tube preamp design worked out. It is a CCDA (constant current draw amplifier) with a tube rectified & regulated power supply. Aside from a larger than expected voltage drop across the rectifier, the prototype works well enough.

[​IMG]

Right now I'm battling with remote volume control considerations, which means fussing about with programming microcontrollers.

8. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

DIY wall shelf and isolation platform. There are channels down the back of the wall shelf for tidier cable routing. While I like the step-up and preamp being "garaged" it has not been the most accessible location for connections.
    [​IMG]

9. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I really like John DeVore's remote control solution.

Dignan2000, je245, Ro-Go and 3 others like this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Looks nice, but why the pink?

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. aunitedlemon

Leftover paint. The Mrs. enjoys the color pink, I don't mind it, and anything that keeps the audio gear less annoying in her eyes is a win.

M1ke2345, tmtomh, tom1040 and 13 others like this.
  12. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

Coincidentally, the industrial style of John's EMT is the look I want to emulate for my own project. The more expensive Line Magnetics share the same aesthetic and I really like it!

A basic remote-controlled & motorized potentiometer isn't actually too hard to pull off. The code is relatively simple, and it mostly just requires a microcontroller plus a motor drive chip.

Unfortunately, it appears the only thing in the history of the internet that has ever been agreed on is that a stepped attentuator is superior to a pot. This is a bit more of a challenge, but I'm gonna breadboard the relay attenuator from this project: GitHub - FutureSharks/preamp-passive: This is the Arduino code, PCB layouts and 3D drawings for a HiFi passive preamplifier and see if I can get it going. If not, a TKD potentiometer will have to do.

13. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Amazing! Looking forward to seeing the project come along.

14. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

While you’re jealous of the woodworking skills I’m jealous of your electronics know how.

Encore, jonwoody and aunitedlemon like this.
  15. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

Following, great thread!

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Is that Quicksand's Slip LP in the photo?

aunitedlemon likes this.
  17. aunitedlemon

Sure is! I finally ponied up for a copy. I believe it's the 2012 repress. They really need to press more copies of that album (as long as it isn't a crap job of course).

kentucky_slim likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the band's first two albums. Saw them back in 1995. I'd like to catch one of the comeback tours but it just hasn't worked out.

WithinYourReach and aunitedlemon like this.
  19. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

20. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Playing more with speakers this weekend. It’s always a lot of fun listening to the differences you can have with only box changes and no crossover. Working on a bit of shout from this 6” driver with out any correction network. V1 is proof of concept and v2 a refinement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Twinsfan007, T69, eis01 and 13 others like this.
  21. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I don't have any current projects in the works atm, a couple of Racks I have completed in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. aunitedlemon

Every time I see a picture of your gear and listening space I feel like my ears are missing out! Nice handiwork with the racks, too.

Tim 2, rhale64, barfko and 1 other person like this.
  23. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The matching amp stands are lovely!

Ro-Go, barfko and mreeter like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Thank you, I enjoy combining an 'amateurish' wood working hobby with my Stereo obsession

Thank you, I like to keep things off the floor.

[​IMG]

Tim 2, eis01, wolfyboy3 and 12 others like this.
  25. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

"One of these days, Alice ..."

Due to a health condition known as Geriatric Lassitude, also known as "hey, look what's on HBO+!", this point to point riff on Tubelab's Simple SE has progressed at about the same pace as CVN-78.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On a more positive note, over the same period, I have achieved this:
    [​IMG]