I did or didn't buy 'The Monkees' TV series Blu-Ray set when it became available last week (a poll)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Grand_Ennui, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

When Rhino released some copies of the limited edition Blu-Ray set last week (week of 04/11/2022), I'm wondering how many of you that, for whatever reason, didn't buy one when they were originally released bought one this time around?

2. Grand_Ennui

For myself, I bought one as soon as I read on these forums that they were selling it again...

Drifter likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I watched the whole series when I got the DVDs
    I watched it again with my girls 5 years ago and found it a bit of a chore to get through again.
    Though I love their music, the show doesn't really warrant multiple viewings IMO.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

(Had also seen most of it on air in the 70s and on MTV in the 80s)

5. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I bought it for my wife last week, then Saturday night my wife and I saw Micky's Tribute to The Monkees show, where my wife bought it. It's not possible to cancel the order from the Monkees site. Returning it runs up a large shipping bill, so we'll keep both copies. Eventually it'll be unavailable again and we'll sell the extra copy then. So Goes Love.

6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I did purchase one last week when it became available. The first time it was available, money was very tight. So I regretfully didn't purchase it. It was the only big ticket item from Rhino/Andrew Sandoval that I didn't buy on day 1.

Iceman08 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I did not buy one back in 16, I just sat on the fence about it. Part of it was cost and also not so much into watching the TV show as I once did. I should have bought one when they were briefly at 150, but I decided not to. I have the DVDs, so that was part of it.

When I was at Micky's show in early April, I bought one for 250.

8. 905

905 Senior Member

Happy with the DVDs.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Now if they could release a complete Partridge Family BluRay sourced from film elements, I'd be all over it. That was a quality show that also had music I love.

Someone In A Tree and JJFlash like this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nope, not a boomer and not 8 years old. :D;)

rod, majorlance and Myke like this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm good with the dvds

audiomixer, beccabear67 and 905 like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It would be great for Rhino to release a bare-bones of The episodes for folks that wish to own it with out the Deluxe features!

13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I bought it the first time around but honestly, I was waiting for my tax return to get a backup copy in case of emergency - 36 years in this foxhole of fandom has clearly made me a little OCD with regards to this sort of thing.

majorlance and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I didn't buy one because I bought one when they were available the first time around

.... should have been an option for that one

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  15. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

And conspicuously lacking in manners...

16. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I had spent a lot of money on the complete DVD sets when they were first released. I watched them all twice (I think) through the years since then. While never really happy with the quality of those DVDs, and tempted each time the BD sets became available, I just couldn't justify the re-purchase of the episodes again. I would have them in better quality, but still not have a desire to keep watching the show over and over again to make it a worthwhile purchase. Maybe if it was a bare-bones or close-out at $50-75 I would have been reeled back in again.
    :shrug:

joelee and audiomixer like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

No:laugh:, sorry, back in the day I loved the show when I was say 8 years old (my Mum would say "Oh I used to go see Davy Jones when he was a jockey!") but I tried to watch some of them a few years ago and I just couldn't bare it. Canned laughter and most of it didn't hold together. The Musical performances on one disk would be cool.

rod, Dave and majorlance like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Disc 10 with all the extras plus Head & 33 1/3 make it worth its value. It's just not the series.

Iceman08, intv7 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Those features are the biggest reason I bought it-Had it just been the episodes themselves, I probably wouldn't have... But HEAD, '33 1/3 RPM', and the extras: Yes :)

Iceman08 and D-rock like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

You're right, sorry 'bout that...

Paul Sofronoff and D-rock like this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd buy that disc for $25 for sure

As I do already have all that on DVD, it's not getting me to spring for the box.

I do consider Head about the best of the 60s trippy films, though that may be considered damning by faint praise.

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

There are many hours of bonus features you don't have, though. Head and 33 1/3 outtakes...1969 TV appearances, some newly discovered...a restored "Oh My My" promo...1966 Clarksville promo train ride footage...that's worth $200 to me alone.

Iceman08, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I voted "Yes, I bought it as soon as I became aware that they were selling them again", but had there been an option for "I bought a second, spare copy as soon as I became aware they were selling them again", I'd have selected that. ;)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I didn't buy because I saw some of their stuff on Youtube and realized that, now that I'm out of grade school, the show is interesting as an historical curiosity only. I have no need to own it. FWIW, there are also a lot of documentaries on Youtube about the history and "behind the scenes" stuff regarding the TV show. I watched a few. It was interesting stuff, but no need to OD on it.

daglesj likes this.
  25. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

As of yesterday, they are no longer for sale again....

Drifter likes this.