The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You read all that in this thread? :D

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

By the way, I first heard this album on Spotify about a month ago!

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

US Test Pressing?

Steve62, mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

We'll probably end up w/8 hours of Ray and Dave beating each other up! :laugh:

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Apparently that is the pressing from Greece - 6666 011 released 1980

All Down The Line and Ex-Fed like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And the Director’s Cut will include another 4 hours of Avory being pummeled.

7. DISKOJOE

A Mets fan, Avid Pyrrhicvictory? My friend Barrence is also a big Mets fan. I remember when he had a 60th birthday bash that he received a personalized Mets jersey from none other than former Red Sox pitcher Oil Can Boyd* I can assure you that would not have happened in 1986!

*The reason for the nickname was because he liked to drink lots of cans of Foster's Lager.

8. mark winstanley

Looking like an expanded version of the cover of Acdc's If You Want Blood album lol
    Kinks - The Hammer Horror movie lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  9. mark winstanley

Ewww Fosters.... the beer you have, when you're not having a beer lol

Edit - for the Aussies on here. Does anyone in Oz drink Fosters?
    I've never known anyone to, but I am a West coaster

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  10. DISKOJOE

So what you're saying Headmaster is that Foster's is like the Outback Restaurant of Aussie beer? :laugh:

11. DISKOJOE

Don't you think that Vincent Price looked kind of like Ray?

12. mark winstanley

Lol
    Well Outback isn't very Aussie, but it's still pretty good.

I gather some Victorians drink Fosters.
    I think Queenslanders drink XXXX
    In the west I think it was Swan Lager and Emu Bitter, back in the old days.
    When I was a pup I drank Emu Export, but really I think my roots show because I much prefer UK beer... dark ales and stouts mainly.... keep those damn IPA's away from me, it's like drinking daffodils or something :)

I tend to drink spirits these days though.
    Tequila, Absinthe, Whiskey and I had Gin for the first time a couple of weeks ago...
    Tanqueray special reserve or something like that.... anyway.... I can't smoke my beloved 'erb for work reasons, so they have sent me to drink lol

13. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

One For the Road

As discussed, I was that guy. Walking past the frat party in my bomber jacket with its red duct tape armband, telling whoever would listen that the real Kinks had died a long time ago, that whatever distorted arena riffs were leaking out of the frat house windows were sellout corporate pablum designed to lull the sheeple into blind acceptance of a global corporate nightmare of conformity, imperialism, and oppression.

(Ironically, I'd gleaned some of that analysis from songs like 20th Century Man).

Listening to the LP over the last few days, it feels like the culmination of everything the Kinks had been experimenting with in the *Arista years.* As @mark winstanley notes, how does a band that has been around for the better part of two decades find a sound that isn't just an oldies throwback, that stays true to the band's essence while appealing to a totally new, young audience? And sends much of that audience (as demonstrated above) back to the band's earlier work, to become avid fans of out-of-print albums first released when they were toddlers?

It's really kind of a miracle of an LP, not a resurrection (they never died) or a reinvention (just about all of the new sound had roots in previous LPs), but an evolution, an inspired collage of everything they'd done before, juxtaposed & integrated with contemporary musical forms that had roots that they themselves had planted half a generation before. And even playing to huge arenas full of new fans, they manage to remain misfits, making music for misfits, and having loads of fun doing it.

Excited to read what people have to say about it song-by-song, but already pretty sure it will join my very short list of live albums on heavy rotation.

14. mark winstanley

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I can see a slight resemblance there... I had never thought about it before to be honest

15. mark winstanley

Really well stated

16. mark winstanley

I do understand that.
    It takes us back to the earlier discussions regarding heading backwards in the discography, as opposed to forwards.

I'm sure I probably said similar things about Midnight Oil.... "it was all over after Red Sails In The Sunset. Ten Through One (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) is the album you need to hear. This new stuff is just pop music" :D

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Smash Hits Magazine (UK) review:
    “From the cliched title to the boozy, self-congratulatory atmosphere, this double set is as convincing an argument for banning live albums as you’ll find. The Kinks lumber through their paces with all the elegance and zip of a superannuated boogie band while large American audiences bellow their approval. Rarely have so many great songs been assembled in one place. There are few survivors. (4 out of 10).
    David Hepworth

18. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

19. mark winstanley

Boozy.... there isn't a hint of boozy on it lol

Contrary to reality.
    If this album is lumbering then I'm John Paul Getty lol

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I like reading the real-time stuff. Plus, it’s a UK magazine with a different perspective. And, obviously, a reviewer (with his reference to “survivors”) with prior knowledge of the band’s catalogue.

edit: I had to look up “superannuated”!

21. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

David Hepworth is a well-known journalist and critic in the UK - he also presented The Old Grey Whistle Test for a time in the 80s.

22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He was at least partly responsible for Q AND Mojo I believe? Never liked him much myself.

23. mark winstanley

I can only assume he never actually listened to it.

I could understand some condescending references to hard rock, or too much guitar, or where are the classics... something like that, but yea, boozy and lumbering doesn't apply to this one lol

24. mark winstanley

It is certainly worth reading/sharing these kinds of things.... because we know after 67, pretty much, England virtually dropped the Kinks altogether, and I still don't understand why.
    Perhaps if the British press were misinforming the masses like this, it could explain it somewhat

25. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

It’s true. I don’t recall why, but as a teen I adopted a passive-aggressive relationship with my dad. Dad was a big Red Sox fan from the time he was stationed in Cape Cod during the Korean War. With the Mets and Red Sox in the series, relations between us became even cooler though we were able to watch together in the front room without incident. The Sox won the first two games and the Mets the next two. We both kept our powder dry. The Sox were one out from a championship after taking Game 5, but dad knew better than to start celebrating, even as the Shea Stadium scoreboard congratulated them. Of course the Mets then began working that infamous two-out rally and won. How many times were the Mets down to their last strike? We both sat there, struck dumb. There was still a deciding Game 7 to be played but he knew the Sox would once again disappoint. Their last championship had come in 1918. When the Mets won it all, I can assure you it was a muted celebration on my part. Still living at home, I wanted to eat the next day. Our relationship mellowed in the nineties and when the Sox were in the Series in 2004 and 2007, you bet I rooted for them. So dad got to see two World Championships for his beloved team before he died in 2012. A few weeks after that second title he told me he still couldn’t believe what he had witnessed. I said dad, it’s in the books, it happened. He said, ‘I’m talking about that damn Game 6.’

Now how’s this for strange memorabilia:
    My second ever Mets game was 1978 Old Timers Day at Shea Stadium. We were standing near the player’s entrance and my dad, the big Red Sox fan said, ‘You gotta get that man’s autograph, that’s Joe DiMaggio.’ There was the Yankee Clipper, dapper in a herringbone suit. All I had on hand was my 1978 Mets yearbook which he pleasantly took from me and signed. I’m sure my dad wished it had been Ted Williams instead.