The Vinyl Community on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Feb 18, 2019.

1. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I would like to know if there is such a thing as a CD or digital community on YouTube or anywhere else. Can’t seem to find one. Not counting here of course.

Mazzy and lazydawg58 like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The VC isn't anti-CD or digital so sometimes people discuss those mediums as well. But I'm not aware of a specific community.

RussTCB, MikeInFla and Mazzy like this.
  3. lazydawg58

Here is a video I did a while back that I was really pleased with. I put in significant time and effort to provide a little music history lesson. So of course it hasn't gotten many views. If doing you tube videos is all about getting more views and subs, to make money or whatever, I'm obviously doing something wrong. :tiphat:

Jeff57, MikeInFla and Mazzy like this.
  4. I’ve made many cd centric videos but they are my second class tier *

* I kid :tiphat:

MikeInFla, chaz and lazydawg58 like this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Might be slightly off topic, but does anyone know how bootlegs are pressed to vinyl? I mean, who has a record press and can press audience recordings? The reason I ask is because back in the 80's I ordered an album from a vendor in Goldmine magazine. After about 6 months they wrote to me and said they could not get what I wanted but would give me credit so I browsed what they had and purchased a live Van Halen record. When it finally came in I was very pissed that it ended up being an audience bootleg. To this day I have never been able to figure out how someone pressed albums from home.

Van Halen - Rock Express

[​IMG]

Here is the label:

[​IMG]

If I recall, Moby Dick isn't on the album. Would be cool to know if someone else knows how bootleg records or made... Or better yet make a video explaining how it was done.

6. RussTCB

RussTCB Forum Resident

Yeah, it's such an odd release for me. Overall it just doesn't accomplish anything it set out to do. Thanks for watching though, I really appreciate it.

Not sure if we have any Candlebox fans here, but my new video this morning focuses on some of their releases:

MikeInFla and lazydawg58 like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Vinyl bootlegs got pressed the same as other albums: At a record pressing plant. The seller didn't make that at home.

You'll notice that the band name appears nowhere on the label. That was frequently done so that a bootleg wouldn't get flagged by the pressing plant. There were also very low rent pressing plants that specialized in "unauthorized" runs. The quality of vinyl from those plants was often hideous.

RussTCB, MikeInFla and lazydawg58 like this.
  8. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

lazydawg58 likes this.
  9. lazydawg58

6inch is good one. I especially like the collaborations he does with "Just Another Fat Man with a Beard Talking About Records" (Hedley). I'll check out Dr. Rhythm, Infinite Sound & Eat Sleep, not familiar with them. No disrespect to him but Jazz Sheppard just isn't my cup of tea. Sherv is the best, great person with great eclectic tastes. He's taken a time out, hopefully he will come back. He and Mazzy were the first people to welcome me into the vinyl community and always supported and encouraged me. Mazzy's a really nice guy with a vast knowledge and doesn't take himself too seriously.

There are too many channels to name but I take it Jazz is a big part of your interest. Friendly Fred Pudderman ( Vinyl Community College) doesn't do many videos but often does late night livestreams were Jazz is often the topic of conversation but also gear, record cleaning and books come up. A new channel is "The Rev. Rockin Rollin" which is funny as hell. He does his world famous "light Rotation" videos and promotes his, "Church of Elvis and More Latter Day Saints". If you like blues then Chris at Blues Guy Vinyl is a good one as well. And there's Jon at Bipbobboom who is a great guy with interest in old Rockabilly, Soul, Punk 45s. He's started doing some livestreams playing obscure 45s.

Friendly Fred https://www.youtube.com/c/VinylCommunityCollege
    Rev. Rockin Rollin https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKtRKU-05LPTP-NHn4ww70g
    Jon Bipbopboom https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYnuK_1wg4mDCOFPEk6xDWA
    Chris Blues Guy Vinyl https://www.youtube.com/c/BluesGuyVinyl

LongHairedJazz likes this.
  10. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I Buy Old Records
    Cosmic Vinyl
    Ryan Kidd
    Matt Sands
    dereckvon

Joshua Tree and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. lazydawg58

I subbed to Dr Rhythm and was already subbed to Infinite Sound and 6 inch. But Eat Sleep doesn't appear to be active now, nothing up loaded in the last year or so.

12. lazydawg58

I like to occasionally do album reviews. Here's one I did on the new Molly Tuttle album.

Greenalishi, gkella and MikeInFla like this.
  13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

14. lazydawg58

15. lazydawg58

Richard wants controversy! There's been a power shift within the VC. A King overthrown and a new king has taken over. Here's Penge and Derrick to explain it all.

Stone Turntable and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yes there are people who prefer CDs. Couple people I remember vids from. Don’t know the names. Just search around. Lots of fun stuff. I love the vinyl community vids.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  17. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

This was amazing.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

couple things here I have bookmarked

Greenalishi and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

20. lazydawg58

Here's a record review I'm kind of proud of, but hasn't gotten many views. Some of you might find it of interest.

Greenalishi and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  21. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Blimey: a video of someone impersonating members of the VC. Talk about a niche of a niche of a niche :laugh:

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. lazydawg58

That was funny!

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

I watched a few of the Omaha introvert's videos. Knows her stuff...... and really looks like someone I work with.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. lazydawg58

She has an excellent channel, really an expert on Power Pop among other things. :agree: