The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

"Catch Me Now I'm Falling": As the other Avids have commented, it's a bit faster w/no sax (rather celibate if you ask me). Everything else that I previously said about this song still applies.

"Where Have All The Good Times Gone": I didn't get Konterversey until a couple of years afterwards, so this was probably the first time I heard this song. It's a good example of how easily the early Kinks songs could adapt in a then contemporary setting. I looked wistfully at the Shindig! footage being shown on the video version and was very happy that it actually came out several years later on a Rhino VHS compilation.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

One of the striking things about live Kinks shows with Ian and Jim Rodford was the spark of joy they both brought to the proceedings - you could see them smiling, having fun. It was visible to the audience from the stage - and a great counterbalance to Ray and Dave, who I think were greatly energized by them.

3. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Just a quick comment for now:

Catch Me ...

Quite impressed how they managed to squeeze so much of the song into a minute or so less than the album version, but knowing that version so well, it sounds strange at such a fast tempo. It almost feels like they're rushing through it as they have a train to catch!

Where Have...

Pretty good version - if I was at the gig I'd be delighted to hear this. However, if I was listening at home I would prefer to hear the original version.

I'll have a closer look at the video clips later or tomorrow.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Funny you should post this as I was just trying to imagine if "Shattered" employed the YRGM riff for a bridge instead of the best chord progression that sends it off on a tangent.

Catch Me Know I'm Falling

Not sure which version I prefer studio or live though I will readily admit to its standing having lifted for me solely because of it's examination in this thread.
    That said like @Fortuleo This doesn't readily push the pleasure receptor buttons for me and I still think they could have efficiently come up with a riff not so reminiscent of a classic to assist bearing it, the video version comes off worst in this regard.

5. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Well, if we're keeping score today, you can add me to the column who agrees Catch Me I'm Falling works better on One For the Road, even though I, too, like the sax on the studio version. I think the improvement boils down to the band simply being well rehearsed with the number by this point.

For Good Times I'm in the prefer the original camp. The blend of Ray and Daves voices on the original is magical. It's here, too, but its missing something. Maybe its as simple as the mix? I don't know. My ears are expecting it, but it never arrives. Also, the original is less cluttered. On this live version Dave overlays some show-offy guitar bending embellishments as the song goes from verse to chorus that I find distracting.

I recall, too, that David Lee Roth quote from Rolling Stone that fspringer mentioned. The idea of Van Halen learning their craft by playing stuff off an old Kinks collection alway stuck with me.

6. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Catch Me Now I'm Falling
    @Furtuelo is one of our leading Avids and always a huge contributor to this, my favorite internet thread of all time. I especially pay attention to those times he hears something I don't. So now I find it interesting (again!) That he's not hearing something the rest of us are. It would make me sad if I didn't already know the depth and breadth of his appreciation across the rest of the katalog. Personally, I find both the individual segments of this song, and the flow across them throughout the song to be utterly compelling. And for me, the things I love the most are further enhanced in this live version.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone
    I really love the increase in tempo from the studio version on this song. The group has taken an effective lament and turned it into an equally effective aggressive rocker.... which is especially appropriate as a part of this set.

I think it's time to add: these two songs remind me, but it's true across the entire set, I love Ray's delivery., having the keyboard is great (I don't often say that and especially wouldn't expect it with the Kinks), Dave is HOT, and Avery is killing it throughout! These guys totally know what they're doing. And while this may not be the preferred Kinks style for some, they have mastered it to absolute perfection.

7. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I never noticed this before how much younger he was than the other members. I believe he is the only Kink to have not been born in the 1940's.

8. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Catch me now I’m Falling

I’ve now remembered, thanks to this thread and our headmaster, that I too was introduced to One for the Road before Low Budget. Acquiring the albums backwards must be the reason I rated Low Budget lower than perhaps I should have, because of the added wallop of its songs presented here. In my opinion, these are the correct tempos for the LB songs. Other than the track Low Budget itself, which live is a bit too unrestrained, I prefer these versions of LB songs to the studio versions.
    CMNIF has a wonderfully reworked opening and gorgeous backing vocals and is even stronger than I recall. This might make some mix cd’s, me thinks.

Where have all the Good Times Gone

The Kinks are again in a tug-of-war with Van Halen. As already stated on this thread, Van Halen (especially David Lee Roth) were Kinks fans. On Diamond Dave’s wish, they would play complete sides of The Kinks 20 Golden Greats album whilst playing the club circuit in California. It’s rumored to be out there in bootleg form but I’ve never heard it.
    This song has for some time been a perennial live mix song. Love Dave’s (Davies, now) tight fills, and one other highlight for me, Ray’s forlorn ‘please let me have happy days.’

9. All Down The Line

How so?

Ex-Fed, mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Or perhaps more accurately watching Flash do jumping jacks? :)

11. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I have again fallen woefully behind as I am traveling in Colorado for a family reunion/bridal shower. Nonetheless, here’s some quick input (seeing as I’ve already made my love for this live album clear):

Opening/Hardway: The opening instrumental, utilizing the YRGM riff to get everyone pumped up (band and audience) is a smart move, it works and leads directly into the barnstorming version of Hardway. I knew this version first and I had a tough time with the studio version for a while, although I’ve come to love both pretty equally . I think they’re different enough that each works in its own way.

Catch Me Now Falling: Again, different enough from the studio version to be seen as an alternative worth listening to. I know a few Avids here have bemoaned the loss of the sax. I don’t mind horns so much when they’re utilized in an old-school rock ‘n’ roll song, but this song is a little more sleek and metallic than rock ‘n’ roll and i think it benefits from not having the sax.

Where Have All the Good Time Gone: I had never heard the studio version of this before I got this album. The live version, sped up and with a little bit heavier riffing is actually my preferred version. I like the studio version now and would never skip it, but this live version will always be my favorite. FWIW, I love Van Halen‘s version too. In fact, the kinks owe Eddie a debt of gratitude because I’m pretty sure a lot of metal heads might not even know who the kinks were if Van Halen had not done their two stellar kinks covers. I definitely prefer the Kinks to Van Halen overall, but Van Halen‘s versions of both Kinks classics are at least equal to the kinks versions in my mind.

12. All Down The Line

"Best" chord progression should read something else sensible like varied but hours back I can't recall before spellchecker wrecked it.
    The song title should read correctly as "Now" not Know I'm Falling which comes off as derogatory which was not my intention.

13. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I’ve been gone for far too long to even attempt to read everything I’ve missed, since some time around the start of ‘Misfits’. A brief overview to try and catch up. I will try harder in future.

MISFITS
    A much more eclectic mix of songs than ‘Sleepwalker’, with perhaps some higher-highs, but to me some seriously low-lows.

Misfits: A lovely song, one of Ray’s nicest, heartfelt ballads of the decade.
    Hay Fever: Think I’ve a touch of it at present with the tree pollen. I don’t like it, nor do I like the song.
    Live Life: A rocker, and I prefer the version with the extra verse. Not convinced it was suitable for a single release.
    A Rock ‘n’ Roll Fantasy: Kinks back in the US top 30. Should have been a UK hit too, but I think that about most of their singles from 1972 onwards! A great song. And who doesn’t want to spend time in a rock ‘n’ roll fantasy from time to time?
    In A Foreign Land: Can live without this one.
    Permanent Waves: Another low point. Ray’s getting silly thinking of what to write a song about!
    Black Messiah: I must look to read the views on this. I guess it divided opinion. I don’t rate it at all, but don’t shoot me for my views! Not good enough to be a single here in the UK. Had a picture sleeve, which was quite rare at the time.
    Out Of The Wardrobe: Song should have been thrown to the back of the wardrobe and forgotten.
    Trust Your Heart: An impassioned Dave. Nice to have him back. One of my favourites on the album.
    Get Up: A weak end to the album to my mind.

14. CheshireCat

LOW BUDGET
    Ray and the band liven up considerably for this release. Much fresher production than the first two Arista albums, and it benefits from it. The whole album has a consistent ‘sound’ throughout. I like it. I should listen to it again.

Attitude: I skim read some of the comments for this one. I’ll just copy the views of Fishman here, as it says it all rather well! ‘This spicy little slap in the face is also a great way to open an album. I say we're off to a fine start here.”
    Catch Me Now I'm Falling: Not a personal favourite, but it's OK.
    Pressure: In the same boat as 'Attitude'. Another rocker, repetitive lyrically, but it suits the feel of the album. Not as good as 'Attitude', but short and spiky.
    National Health: I like this one, but not sure why!
    (I Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman: I suppose it was the album's US hit, but not a favourite. If they're going Disco, go the whole hog! Half-hearted.
    Low Budget: In the set list for concerts to the very end. Yes, I Like it. I recall the version on the single is different, an extra verse?
    In A Space: I feel the same way about this as National Health...
    Little Bit Of Emotion: A bit of empathy for people from Ray here. The only track on the album you could call a ballad. And it's a nice change of pace from shouty/spiky Ray.
    A Gallon Of Gas: Another one which stayed in the set list. I can give this one a miss without getting upset. Same with the 'To The Bone' version.
    Misery: I don't know. I can't recall well how it goes. Maybe its a filler track!
    Moving Pictures: A UK single release, also with a picture sleeve, they're becoming more common by this stage. I can't imagine anyone considering this would change the chart fortunes of the band.

15. CheshireCat

Other bits and bobs...
    On The Outside: First heard this on the UK EP release of 'Waterloo Sunset' in 1994. A great track, should have been on the Misfits album in place of 'Out Of The Wardrobe'.
    The Poseur: Never got into this one, from the same source as above. From what I recall, it doesn't really do much to grab the attention. Best as a bonus track.
    Father Christmas: How I'd like this to be thought of as a classic for everyone at Christmas time, one that re-charts every year! But this is The Kinks. So it's not going to happen.
    Prince Of The Punks: Is it about Tom Robinson, or just a lazy rumour. Tom always speaks very highly of Ray. Another very good song, wasted on a 'B' Side.
    Hidden Quality: The next five are demos, from the 'Picture Book' box set, presumably from what Ray wanted to be a double album, but was trimmed back. Quite like this one, which with a bit of work could have fitted in well enough.
    Nuclear Love: Filler but I quite like it - needs fleshing out somewhat.
    Duke: Could have given the double album a change of pace. Nice enough.
    Maybe I Love You: Not really much more than an idea at this stage.
    Stolen Away Your Heart: This could have been something quite nice, with a little more work. The sound is a bit of a look backwards.

16. CheshireCat

DAVE DAVIES
    A solo album to go through too! OK

Where Do You Come From: Dave lets loose with the guitar. A long guitar introduction, which I was quite enjoying. Dave's vocals by this stage are something of a acquired taste. It's all a bit too noisy for me.
    Doing The Best For You: We slow down a bit, and find a nice introduction. I don't mind this when I'm in the mood. Not as screechy all over. The UK single.
    Visionary Dreamer: I like this one. Very Dave, and a palatable tune to go with it.
    Nothin' More To Lose: I don't like this one.
    The World Is Changing Hands: I want to like this, and it has its catchy moments.
    Move Over: Move on to the next one.
    See The Beast: Starts nicely, but doesn't stick in the brain at all. Can barely make out the words, which doesn't help.
    Imaginations Real: A nice song here. Quite memorable, and would have been fine on a Kinks album around this time.
    In You I Believe: Another good one.
    Run: A powerful end to the album, in fact three good tracks to end the album.

Wild Man: A 'B' Side, for the UK single, probably the right place for it.

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

His 1989-93 replacement Mark Haley was even younger, I think he might even have been born early 60s!

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Welcome back

19. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Catch Me Now I’m Falling in edited form was the current single in the US when this particular live version was performed/recorded so it makes perfect sense it would feature in their shows during this period in a similarly shorter version.
    While I prefer the studio version, this speedier live version works well here.

Where Have All The Good Times Gone was a great choice for an older catalog song with a mid tempo pace. The Tired Of Waiting riff underneath might be a little distracting if you prefer the studio version but I think again it works well in this live performance and I’m sure the diehards in the audience caught that and I imagine that gave the actual show some added energy. Context is everything.

As mentioned, Catch Me was taken from a Sept show after Ian Gibbons had joined the band. Where Have and the first 2 tracks from yesterday were performed/recorded at the earlier Spring 79 shows when Gordon Edwards was still in the band. His parts were erased and replaced with studio overdubs by Gibbons and/or Ray when he was preparing the album. So outside of (probably) 2 studio tracks from the early Low Budget sessions in London in Jan 79, we don’t have much in the way of recorded evidence to know how his style gelled with the band. Or not, since Ray wasted no time in sacking him in May 79 :laugh:.

20. mark winstanley

Cheers mate, I didn't know that, I assumed that Ian joined the band before the tour...
    Then again the Kinks tours in themselves are weird. It's like they do 12 shows that are the Low Budget tour, and then there is a break, and then a nameless void tour of 15 or so shows, a new album comes out and they do 20 or so shows under the Bla Bla tour ... etc etc
    It's like they did 3 or 4 tours a year, almost like guerilla attacks and retreats or something lol

21. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Catch Me Now I'm Falling

The "struggling bloated sea creature voice" makes sense now, in retrospect, resonating against high concrete walls, bellowing out to the cheap seats. Funny, I've known the song for what, a month, but when I hear the guitar opening arpeggioating* through the cheers and *woos* here, I get a sharp tingle of excitement.

As a whole, *kick ass tune* is the era-appropriate descriptor for this version of CMNIF.

But the video version pushes it. Going straight into "sea creature voice" without the delicate build -- starting with the part of the song that @The late man so skillfully edited out -- is a bridge too far.

The guitar is just indisputable though either way.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone

Don't get me wrong, love this, but it does give a hint of what it would've been like if the Kinks had toured as an *arena nostalgia act.* I feel like I want to politely ask this song to go back to where it belongs, preserved forever in its original context, when it was a revelation. The b&w footage of the brash young Kinks in the video version reenforces that.

But still a blast to have this song in the context of this particular live showcase, and the energy level takes it over the top.

* This is not an actual word.

22. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Ha, this matches my feelings about the LP precisely.

23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Catch Me Now I'm Falling"

I'm not a fan of this song in any version except for the @The late man edit. Neither live version changes my opinion on it.

"Where Have All The Good Times Gone"

This was a good choice for the set list. It fits right in with the Low Budget material. It's not as good as the original, but they must have noticed its 70s potential when Bowie covered it. I love the Bowie version. The Van Halen version is even interesting. This all helps when the original song is so good. I did find another cover version by the band The Shapes who manage to ruin the good times.

24. mark winstanley

Here is a show from Cobo Hall, Detroit Aug 10 1979...
    Sleepwalker is missed off the beginning, but that was followed by a rip roaring version of Life On The Road, with sax, and backing singers.
    It leaves me thinking that the band really was just doing whatever they felt like at any given point of the tour.

I haven't time to listen to the whole thing, but in the first two songs Ray seems really into it, and having a lot of fun.

According to Setlist FM, this is what we will have here...

1. Sleepwalker
    2. Life on the Road
    3. Permanent Waves
    4. Lola
    5. Misfits
    6. Low Budget
    7. (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman
    8. You Really Got Me
    9. A Gallon of Gas
    10. Celluloid Heroes
    11. All Day and All of the Night
    12. Pressure