I did or didn't buy 'The Monkees' TV series Blu-Ray set when it became available last week (a poll)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Grand_Ennui, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Limited edition......for god's sake just put it out so people can get it at Walmart/Target/etc..

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Initially, there was talk of a barebones release after the SDE.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I recall hearing that as well...

I hope it happens for those that want a bare-bones release, but something tells me that ship has sailed.

D-rock likes this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just so folks know, the Blu-ray set is NOT being sold during the current Micky Dolenz/Felix Cavaliere tour, though the the ‘Celebrates The Monkee’ T-shirt is available.

BobT likes this.
  5. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I ordered one which hasn’t arrived yet but I am a little concerned as a friend of mine got his yesterday with a big dinged corner - no padding inside the mailer!

6. Grand_Ennui

Well, 48 of us purchased it this go 'round.

I wonder if these sets are sets that didn't get sold at Micky's Monkees Tribute shows, or if these, and those sold at the shows, were all from the same stash they discovered?

7. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I found out that a friend on the forum missed out, we saw him this weekend and sold it to him for what it cost us. We both came out happy. (Sometimes you meet the nicest people here.)

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's awesome!

BeSteVenn likes this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I just now saw this poll. There's probably a lot of people who bought it that never bother coming into Marketplace discussions. I'm curious how many more were made (or found, assembled, whatever) and sold too.

For me, I bought it when I first heard this time around. My brother told me. I didn't buy it the first time around because I'm really not that much into television quality, HD, and that whole thing. I mainly wanted the bonus content. Plus a lot of people were upset by the things that were supposed to be on it but were not.

After so many years of people saying how good it really is and seeing those Ebay prices, of course I need it now. I have all the super deluxe cd box sets... just makes sense. I have a little more money now too. I think I was in the middle of moving and other things back then. Plus there was rumor of a dvd version. I'm pretty sure Sandoval even hinted at that.

BobT likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

For what it's worth, when I started this thread/poll, I had it in the Visual Arts forum, but the powers that be moved it to Marketplace discussions. I'd tend to agree with you though, that it may have gotten more traction where I originally posted it, but what can ya do?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Now I see that 52 of us bought at least one set when they were made available again...

In a different thread, someone mentioned that they ordered something like 10 all together, I wonder if the other potential flipper bought as many?

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Mine arrived in perfect condition yesterday.

Drifter, D-rock, BobT and 1 other person like this.
  13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

We bought our copy at the final Micky Dolenz Tribute To The Monkees show, #06102. Everything is intact. So glad we got it. Our friend who we passed our extra copy to has said his set is perfect, too.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  14. apple-richard

Where's the number located?

15. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

In the booklet.

D-rock and apple-richard like this.
  16. apple-richard

I played the first three episodes tonight with my son's mother in law. #07923

:righton:

RobRoyF, D-rock and BeSteVenn like this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Missed the poll deadline, but I bought another set this time, received it a week ago or so. Keeping it sealed. Such an incredible improvement over the worn out, spotty DVD prints.

RobRoyF, D-rock and apple-richard like this.
  18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I remember attending a Monkees Convention in Bridgeport Connecticut in 1982, it was washed out VHS prints and Tork going "No, not much unreleased stuff" (laughter)...and Bill Chadwick attending.

19. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I bought one. Quality is far beyond the DVD sets and not just in terms of resolution. The color is perfectly balanced. No more washed out looking episodes.

The booklet on mine was messed up. Pages out of order, some pages missing some duplicates. I contacted Rhino and asked if they could send a new one. They were not able to but refunded $50. Now I don’t even feel too bad about the price.

I know my enjoyment of the series is tied deeply to childhood nostalgia, but so what? I’ve been having a blast watching the set.

Drifter, RobRoyF and D-rock like this.
  20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

At least Rhino gave you a discount. Luckily my booklet seems good on my newly purchased set from the Micky Aprill '22 tour. I still haven't made time to watch any of the BR. Work and life keep getting in the way.

21. Grand_Ennui

...And just five years later, the 'Missing Links' series started, and then the deluxe editions of the first four, and then the super deluxe editions...

Tom Stigler, D-rock and RobRoyF like this.
  22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I remember Tork tap dancing after title after title on unreleased stuff was thrown at him. I've never figured out why he said that. And super super deluxe are next. The new fans aged 10-14 will eat up The Monkees.

Tom Stigler likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Peter probably had no idea there was so much. After all, these guys did so many sessions on their own. A huge chunk of the unreleased stuff came after he left too. I also think back in 1982, no one knew how interested people would be in variations of the same song. That kind of collecting really took off with cds and bonus tracks.

Tom Stigler and D-rock like this.
  24. Tom Stigler

Tom Stigler Speeds From 33.3 to 500 RPM, Depends on Artist

YES, when you put it like that, you were lucky if you could find ANY copy of a Monkees album anywhere - let alone fathom a (cumulative) 9+ disc deep dive on just Headquarters alone.

Boggles the mind .....:yikes:

cwitt1980 likes this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

9 discs.....imagine the days of recording the HQ album without being under Kirshner and Barry's thumbs.....I still say "Love To Love" should have been on it, beautiful song.

Tom Stigler likes this.