Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Shana Caledonia Morrison was born on April 7, 1970 in Kingston, New York (cf. "You're My Woman" from Tupelo Honey, which we'll be moving to on Monday).
    The couple left Woodstock in April '71 to head out west to California, specifically San Raphael, north of Marin County;
    they divorced in '73. Janet's explanation of why she left Van is written in the interview with her, the link to which I posted last week.

As for booze, my guess is Mr. Morrison wouldn't be averse to some "Moonshine Whiskey.";)

2. Clarkophile

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

A bit more on Street Choir from Can You Feel the Silence.

Morrison described Street Choir as "the sort of thing where someone was on my back to get something cranked out, even though they knew it was wrong."

From a 1974 interview
    "Somewhere along the line I lost control of that album. Somebody else got control of it, and got the cover and all that @hit, while I was out on the west coast. I knew what was happening to it, but it was like I couldn't stop it. I'd given my business thing over to somebody else and although I had final approval on things, they just went ahead and did the wrong thing."

Silence goes on to say that "In the light of the fact that he made himself sole producer, that the song selection was entirely his, and that the musicians were a hand-picked crew of Woodstock wonders, it is hard to see where any blame for the tepid nature of the collection can alight, save on Morrison's brow."

4. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Thanks Tom. I missed that link previously somehow.

And Ah Ha! Yes, Shana. I recall now her singing and playing sax(?) with him live somewhere recently.

5. Clarkophile

http://www.shanamorrison.com/

From the looks of the photograph, she takes after her mother. Which is probably a good thing.

6. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

I'm mistaken. It was Candy Dulfer I remember playing sax.

7. Clarkophile

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

Jason, I love these bits of information you dig outta that book. Must be some read....

9. Solaris

It's very thorough. He seems to have talked to everyone around Morrison at the time. Van fans should own this book, or at least give a good reading or two.

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Indeed ... If you're interested enough in Van to take part in this thread, you really need to read the Heylin bio.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Since the subject of Tupelo Honey is approaching, I can't remember if Greil Marcus had written about the album in his book, Mystery Train? I thought I remembered reading most of that book some years ago.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

From what I understand, Van stopped drinking after his tour with Joni and Dylan.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I don't know. I've been enjoying his music for almost 25 years now and know very little about him. I like that. It's all about the music.

14. Clarkophile

I think one thing that works against any of these bios--and it's a doozy-- whether it's Heylin or Collis or Hinton or whomever, is the fact that they've never had direct input from the Man himself. So the same old quotes are dredged up, the same people are conscripted to give second or third-hand opinions and recollections. Of course, I realize none of this is unusual with biographies of reluctant subjects, it's just I wish Van would tell his own story through a writer whom he trusted. Since the Man values his privacy, that's not likely to occur.
    I think the truth is that many aspects of Van's life will remain a mystery.

So let go into the mystery, I say.;)

15. Solaris

Even with access to the subject, a biography can't simply rely upon that first person narrative. We all filter our memories and we rearrange things to suit our current mindset. As mercurial as Morrison is, I'm not confident he'd ever be a reliable source in retrospect. He might clear up a few things, but a good biographer talks to everyone around the subject. Because of the uncertainties of oral history and the complexities of human character, this can result in a kaleidoscopic portrait, but that's all the more interesting for a reader.

16. Clarkophile

Yes, I know all that. But if I had my druthers, I would still like to hear Van's personal memories...as well as the grumblings of an ex-spouse or some disgruntled bassist he fired forty years ago. ;)
    I guess I'm interested in the boring details which only he could possibly know: about his childhood, his feelings about the divorce from Janet, et cetera. (Of course I'm not entitled to this knowledge, but that doesn't stop me from wishing it were available.)
    From interviews, we know many intimate things about, say, John Lennon's personal history, but unlike Lennon, Van seems petulant, vague, uncommunicative, even confrontational, in an interview setting, which means that his side of the story--by his own design--will not get told.
    That's the way Van wants it, but it's still a shame, in my view.

Yes, I agree, there are some things which an amalgam of interviewees can tell us, but much of the time they're usually just spicy anecdotal tidbits which are conscripted by the biographer to support his/her view of the subject. (Collis's book is especially nasty in this respect; he seems to harbour nothing but contempt for Van).

It's really amazing to me that in this age, where knowledge and information is so easily uncovered, that the intricacies of Van's character still elude us.

17. DJ WILBUR

i just love all this intellectualism in this Van tread....Both Mr. Tom and you sir are making me wish I'd finished high school.....:D

I snooped through this Heylin book today, i gotta tell you....it was making me like the man a LOT less...so i put it back. I gotta spend the next 9 months listening to him....for me, its better NOT to know the man's mark on those around him. He seems like a total dick (can we say that in here?). i know thats not very "intellectual" of me....:D

so I'm going to let the spiritual, mystical short round grumpy fellow I admire so much to remain my only image of Van...cause he's as sweet as Tupolo Honey...well maybe not....almost time for that isn't it? Good sunday morning record I always say.

18. DJ WILBUR

good point here. Seemed a bit of sour grapes a lot of the Heylin, but many things were obviously facts and various musicians and ex managers, lovers have been burned by this fellow.

for me, I'd love to know the drama in his house growing up, therein would tell us all that I'd need to really know. I bet his father was a real piece of work!

19. Clarkophile

It's not just that aspect. It's difficult to explain, but I'll give it a go.

Remember when we were discussing Moondance and I posted that quote from Van about "And It Stoned Me," and the self-described trance he went into that day when the old man gave him the water? Years ago when I read that quote for the first time, that single reminiscence made me a VanFan for life. I was, and still am, completely fascinated with that little moment of transcendance because I, like all of us, I'm sure, have had similar trances, epiphanies, moments of clarity--whatever you want to call it--but lacked the means of expressing it in a palpable manner.
    My fantasy would be a book written by Van filled with similar insights-- which he doubtless possesses--as opposed to the sort of grunting monosyllabic responses he usually offers in interviews.

20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

"When I was a young boy, back in Orangefield, I used to gaze out my class room window and dream."

Sez it all.

21. Clarkophile

I suppose it does. :righton:
    But it seems the deeper we get into this thread, the more I want to know.

22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Yeah Tom, it's a funny one. I suppose Van just gets up in the morning, "lowers his trousers in response to the morning's natural promptings" (that's a quote by Robert Fripp by the way......a great and erudite description of going to the toilet! :laugh: ), and makes a cup of tea. 'Like we all do'. Maybe that's all he does. But what Van fails to recognise in interviews, saying that the music is all and that his everyday life is humdrum and inconsequential, is that he is Van Morrison and therefore One Of The Greats. I think maybe he should be told!

23. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

van morrison album by album discussion

As much as I like Van. I can't keep up with all his releases. I still love the Lps with "It Stoned Me" "Domino" and "Tupelo Honey" the best.

24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

You have 347 posts to catch up on in that case! Me, my enthusiasm will really burst forth when we reach for Veedon Fleece and Avalon Sunset.

25. Clarkophile

Van is certainly prolific. If you keep checking out this thread, maybe we can convince you to pick up some other releases. My co-host William can be very persuasive. (Make sure to ask him about the Clientele.)

I see you're new around here. Welcome. :wave:
    We're currently discussing His Band and the Street Choir, and on Monday we'll be moving on to Tupelo Honey.
    Y'all come back now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.