Ryan Adams - Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luftveraenderung, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus. Thread Starter

New double album coming this Monday, according to Ryan on Instagram.

BlueTrane, Spaceboy, Zeki and 9 others like this.
  2. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

"At Home with the Animals" will be on it.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  3. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Any track listing yet?

JoeF. likes this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Bloody hell, another one? I haven't digested the last one!

5. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Nope.

6. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

just read in another thread that a new version Walls might be on it, interesting to say the least. I assume it'll only be sold via Pax-Am website at first?

7. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

I know it sounds counter intuitive to complain about artists putting out too much music. But this feels like he’s just pumping out everything. It’s a bit like Prince, without a label - it’s quantity over quality.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t know how he could improve on the 48 Hours version but if it is on there I wouldn’t rule it out. I’ve always wanted to hear Walls with a drum machine….

PAXAM exclusive until May 13th

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    orca orca likes this.
  9. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

He’s always been that way. I don’t like a majority of his work but what I do like I love. I do wish he would be more selective but that’s not the type of artist he is.

Paully, MGM, blackstar and 5 others like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

which is why his career went south in the first place.

too much....

steviej and blackstar like this.
  11. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

On Instagram he called it “the tall, long, slightly mysterious sister to Easy Tiger” which sounds intriguing to me. That’s probably my favorite DRA album after Heartbreaker.

grx8 and tyler928 like this.
  12. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

I agree, although a bigger label didn't seem to help him either. Lost Highway shelving Love Is Hell in favor of RnR, putting out Demolition instead of 48 Hours.. I wish he'd put more effort in the songs themselves, and their production. some of the songs on Chris have a great melody or a catchy riff, but they all sound pretty similar overall (and like the stuff on the last five records). He could really use a proper producer like Ethan Johns.

13. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

In my book, Ethan and Tom Schick are the only producers that have been able to capture the textures of his music on an album. (Perhaps also Scott Litt but hard to known until the full Saturday Night Fever-blister session surfaces, though it obviously did not work on a personal level).

For the record, I have always thought that Rick Rubin would be a hand in glove fit for Ryan. Also suspect that Rubin would enjoy wrestling that kind of musical talent / natural force.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    stefjnl and Luftveraenderung like this.
  14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Romeo & Juliet Digital Download + Bonus Tracks (FLAC)

The album is out.

I notice that Doylestown Girl is on there which is an interesting move. And In The Meadow which is supposed to be from the final Cardinals album, so I’m guessing that isn’t going to be released now?

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

He can’t. Not in the same headspace or with the same band. But I always welcome another version…

I just can’t believe he never even played it live…

painted8 likes this.
  16. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I’m curious to hear if these are the same takes we’ve heard or are re-recorded versions.

Also there’s no version of “Walls,” but “Something’s Missing,” which was streamed/played on his IG last year, is, as are “Rollercoaster” and “In the Blue of the Night” from the 2018 “Summer of ‘69 Demos.” And I’m assuming “Rain in L.A.” could be from the scrapped L.A. Rain Music album.

orca orca and dtuck90 like this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Were the Summer of 69 demos what he was recording before he split up with Meg and relapsed and disappeared for a few months and recorded Big Colors?

18. IHeartRecordsAz

Mr. D likes this.
  19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

"Romeo & Juliet is a summer album. It’s maybe the first summertime album I’ve ever made, on purpose, front to back. It’s like the tall, long slightly mysterious sister to Easy Tiger. There’s a lot of room here and the stories all unwind like a long hot drive in the south with the windows down - sunshine blasting everything. And by the time the record ends it’s just early night - still blue notes in the dark purple patches of stars up the road hurling towards the hood of the car." Part of Ryan introduction. A bit more lenghy, but If you're signed up @ PaxAm, you've rec'd it.

Tracklist

1. Rollercoaster
    2. In The Blue Of The Night
    3. I Can't Remember
    4. Somethings Missing
    5. Doylestown Girl
    6. Romeo & Juliet
    7. Anything
    8. Rain In LA
    9. Poor Connection
    10. In the Meadow
    11. Run
    12. This Is Your House
    13. At Home With The Animals
    14. Earthquake
    15. Hold Me Together
    16. Losers
    17. My Heaven
    18. Theo is Dreaming
    19. They Will Know Our Love

Digital-download only. No physical product = bummed. :sigh: It sounds like it will be arriving on vinyl at some point; hope CD format, too, b/c that's my listening format.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Dark Horse 77 and blackstar like this.
  20. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

will be giving it a miss until it comes out on physical media. Am in no hurry to listen.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

He’s doing what we wished Neil Young had done— putting everything out.

22. IHeartRecordsAz

"Desperate Times" (a recording he posted on his IG last February), is one of the bonus tracks, as is an alternate version of "Somethings Missing."

23. IHeartRecordsAz

OK, there are some really great tracks on here (and props to whoever plays bass on "Rain in L.A." and "Losers").

blackstar likes this.
  24. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

hmm I think I'll skip it. The three post-nonce records he's released have all been completely forgettable. If he carries on like this he'll end up like Sin Kil Moon, a person who still had a loyal following despite clearly being a bit of a tosser in his personal life, but kept releasing half-arsed rubbish for the sake of it until even the people that stood by him no longer cared.

25. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

"In the Blue of the Night" alone is worth 30 bucks (I bought flacs).

gfbiii and blackstar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.