Albums you gave a 2nd chance to, but now know you will NEVER play again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by healter skealter, Apr 25, 2022.

1. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal Thread Starter

Metallica, St Anger. What a joke of an album, by the band that went AWOL longer than any other (between Justice & Death). I bought this when it came out, played it maybe 3 or 4 times waiting in vain for it to make any kind of sense, then filed it away for nearly 20 years.

So yesterday, I picked up the CD/DVD version for 50p at the car boot, along with Reload, which I'd never previously paid for. And I just played it again, as the backdrop to cleaning my oven, which suffered a catastrophic oil spillage last night - ugly music, for an ugly task. And guess what? It still makes no sense what-so-ever. Ok, a few decent riffs, but mind-numbingly overlong songs going nowhere; crybaby lyrics; no guitar solos; and the drums, performed to Oilrig's usual inept standards, but this time sounding like they were recorded on a beach in Trinidad. Just horrible.

So the oven's now fragrantly clean, but I definitely won't be playing the CD again. Unfortunately there's still the small matter of the DVD to contend with, featuring even longer versions of some of the 'songs'. Remains to be seen whether a visual accompaniment will soften, or more likely exacerbate, the crapitude of the album.

Other examples?

2. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Elton John The Big Picture.

3. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Band On the Run.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Lemonade"
    Beyonce

JDE1982 and pinkrudy like this.
  5. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

No second chances.

ashiya, WMTC, Contact Lost and 11 others like this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

After being tricked once, one should learn from one's mistakes and avoid being tricked in the same way again.

audiomixer likes this.
  7. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Anything by Styx and Asia.

8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Marvin Gaye's double divorce album Here My Dear. I love What's Goin' On and Let's Get It On, but after 2 plays, I found Here My Dear to be pretentious, self-indulgent, much too personal and blatantly autobiographical to have much universality, and overlong. I played it twice and traded it off. No regrets.

9. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

Roger Waters' Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking

I love his surrounding work with Floyd and later solo releases, but this LP is like acid in my eardrums.

slovell, Rigoberto, MMan1 and 15 others like this.
  10. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Really? Maybe you haven’t listened under the influence of the appropriate substances :). I love it!

VQR, bzfgt, County50 and 3 others like this.
  11. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I honestly couldn’t think of any album in my collection that I could definitely say I’ll never play again. There’s albums there that are classics like “Pet Sounds” and “Kak” that so far have failed to connect with me but I’d never say never.

Micah, Kundalini, RickH and 3 others like this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A slightly different take on the question. Albums that have been in my collection for decades and I’ll never play again.

Two came to mind immediately:

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Blondie - Auto American

I played both during lockdown and knew I’d never spin them again, both boring, though at least Blondie’s has a few hooks. That said, I love the cover painting of Auto American so it shall remain. And I’ve owned my copy of The Final Cut since it was released, so it will stay with the rest if the Pink Floyd catalog, even if it’s likely not to be played again. Sentimentality triumphs!.

Terry, Smiler, limoges and 10 others like this.
  13. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

Manchester Orchestra (a band, not an actual orchestra) - Simple Math

I bought this after hearing an amazing song from it on Zane Lowe's Radio1 show in 2011. I forgot to listen to it after buying it, but discovered it around six months later, gave it a play, and wasn't in the slightest bit interested in any of the songs, didn't like the album at all.

I forgot about it for about 5 years and tried it again in full and still didn't like it at all.

I'm now very convinced I'd heard an awesome song on Zane Lowe's show that night, but am presuming either he said the wrong name when saying what he was about to play/had just played, or I got mixed up somewhere in all of this, but it can't possibly have been a song from this album that I'd heard that night.

supernaut and healter skealter like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also the fact that they both rank only slightly above "Kilroy Was Here" in used-store desirability.

phillyal1 and DigMyGroove like this.
  15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Tales From Topographic Oceans. Not that it's bad. It's listenable, but leaves no lasting impression. Even "Sound Chaser" from Relayer is hummable in comparision. And this one was called "vomit stew" by Pitchfork. Not that this means anything...

16. drift

drift Forum Resident

I'm a fan of an appropriate substance or two, but if I don't like music without them, they're not going to help me get there.

RickH, Smiler, Folknik and 7 others like this.
  17. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

Archers Of Loaf - White Trash Heroes
    Beastie Boys - To The Five Boroughs
    Built To Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future, There is No Enemy
    Butthole Surfers - Piouhgd
    Faith No More - Album of the Year
    Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
    Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
    Primus - Antipop
    Superchunk - Foolish, Indoor Living, Come Pick Me Up, Here's To Shutting Up

Fullbug, ARod and hi_watt like this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

[​IMG]

I’m afraid so. :cry:

19. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I'm a pretty big Manchester Orchestra fan -- a band I've never seen discussed on the forum before. So I have to use this opportunity to suggest, if you haven't, to check out the album before Simple Math called Mean Everything to Nothing. It's full of awesome songs, so it might have the one you heard. Simple Math is probably my least favorite of their albums.

20. Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance Killing Confusion By Eliminating Options

If beer goggles are required to appreciate it, then how good can it be? No thanks.

Kundalini, geo50000, tcj and 6 others like this.
  21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Fleetwood Mac/Tusk

Kundalini, Fullbug, Folknik and 7 others like this.
  22. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Nik Kershaw Human Racing

"Wouldn't It Be Good" is a great ******' song; unfortunately the rest of the album sounds nothing like that.

RickH and ChoonyFish like this.
  23. You gave all Styx and Asia records two listens? That's odd, I would figure you would have known the bands weren't for you after a sampling a few songs only.:winkgrin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Not their finest hours for me:
    Joni Mitchell- Blue
    The Kinks -Think Visual
    The Clash - London Calling
    Jeff Beck - Loud Hailer
    Butch Hancock - War And Peace

Munros1969 likes this.
  25. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Zooropa has had three or four chances.

cporcp, wdiv, Contact Lost and 6 others like this.