The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Where Have All the Good Times Gone
    playing catch up...
    this is a good one! I like the faster version rather than the original. But I have a feeling between the Van Halen version and perhaps this live one, I always assumed it was a faster song and imagine my surprise when I heard the original. I have no problem with the studio version, but my ears want it to be faster. :D

Lola
    I heard this a billion times when it came out. I particularly remember this part: "This is the disco version." I have no problems with this one. The vocals and music all sound great! Cannot find any faults other than the silly tease in the beginning.

Pressure
    If I wasn't afraid that I'd screw up my neck, I'd be banging my head to this one. So much fun! I miss the handclaps, so I add my own. I like the studio and live one equally.this would have a been a great song to hear live! It comes and it goes so fast, that my head would be twirling.

2. Wondergirl

I don't know how I missed him at the Orpheum. I had a little kids at the time, so I wasn't paying much attention back then.

so you never saw him at the Wilbur back in 2011??

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Yardbirds could have used it for Little Games!

4. All Down The Line

Where The Action Isn't

I hope i imagined this but were there not 2 'particular' girls that were completely avoided when it came to the close ups?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  5. All Down The Line

Thanks I thought it was odd too like someone unfamiliar with the RCA albums put it together and I did note no Hard Way & only one song from Preservation Act 2.

6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

No, I never did see him in 2011. Speaking of concert going, I remember going to the Great Woods Performing Center w/my friends two nights in a row back in September 1989. On September 16, I went to see REM R.E.M. Setlist at Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts, Mansfield , then on September 17 I saw the Kinks The Kinks Setlist at Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts, Mansfield . Have any other Avids done anything nutty like this?

7. DISKOJOE

Little Games was the first Yardbirds album I listened to. My brother in law had it. He also had the 2 record 1970 Epic Records compilation w/the cover done by the same artist who did the cover for the ill fated 1971 Yardbirds Live album. I liked them both.

8. All Down The Line

Somewhere between 1 1/2 & 2 was my guess!

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  9. DISKOJOE

No, you didn't imagine it. They were avoided for some stupid reason.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

My memory may be failing me, but I seem to remember lining up all night on a Friday to get Dire Straits tickets, seeing George Thorogood on the Saturday and Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Sunday or something like that....
    I was a proof operator in the bank at the time, and my eyes were like two p holes in the snow as we would say in Oz (though there's no snow where I'm from)
    I had to process the CIG cheque deposits, about 500 cheques, and I fell asleep during the process... or went into some weird out of body experience... remarkably and thankfully the whole thing balanced. I was stunned, and relieved lol

11. Wondergirl

Yes, yes I have. I'd have to consult my ticket stubs, but I know I did similar in 1986 or so. One (or both) may have been at Great Woods (which lived up to the GREAT part of their name in the 80s into the 90s). I think it may have been Crowded House one night and the Hoodoo Gurus the next or something like that. (Talk of Acca Dacca on here, but any Hoodoo fans on here? I think their DNA definitely flows through the Kinks)

12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I like the Hoodoo Gurus. I have seen them live a few times and they were excellent. The albums are very hit and miss, but they have plenty of good songs. I didn’t care much for the new album aside from a couple songs. That seems to be the case with several of their albums. I was watching recent live clips though and they are still great live. They sound the same after all these years.

13. Wondergirl

I have to be honest that after the early 90s I didn't keep up with them, but I did adore them way back when. So glad that they're still sounding great. That makes me happy.

14. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

I’ve done something very similar:

Kinks Thursday September 14, 1989 @
    Garden State Arts Center Holmdel, NJ

Kinks Friday September 15, 1989 @
    Jones Beach Theatre Wantagh, NY

REM Tuesday September 19, 1989 @
    Byrne Meadowlands Arena East Rutherford NJ

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Definitely
    Stoneage Romeos and Mars Needs Guitars are classics

16. Wondergirl

I agree!

17. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

They just released their first album in 12 years. I kept seeing articles about it, so I listened to it a few times. I believe they have only had 3 albums in the last 25 years, so you haven’t missed too many! The last time I saw them live was probably mid 90s.

Once I was visiting Memphis and walked by a club on Beale Street. To my surprise, I noticed the Hoodoo Gurus were playing that night! We bought tickets and it was an unexpected highlight of a short trip to Memphis!

18. Wondergirl

Very cool!!

19. All Down The Line

Aha, it's only Ray sung music!

20. All Down The Line

Really superb 1st set!

21. All Down The Line

Good it didn't put you off nabbing Roger & Rave Up!

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

We know the reason.

23. All Down The Line

In 2003 I went on consecutive nights in Brisbane to see the Rolling Stones with a full work day in between.
    I couldn't back up for work after the second night and found out my boss went to that show too!

24. DISKOJOE

Naw, I actually liked the album, especially the title track, "Drinking Muddy Water", "Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Sailor" and "White Summer". I had an excellent CD compilation from Raven Records that was pretty cool until I got the Rhino compilation.

Also, I was thinking about you just now.I'm at my library job now & someone ordered the Deluxe 4-CD version of Goat's Head Soup from another library & I was going through the package. Do you have it? Is the bonus stuff worth it?

25. All Down The Line

Hoodoo Gurus

They exploded here around 1984 and I preferred them to the popular INXS & Midnight Oil &
    some years later I was even in a band that played What's My Scene.
    Confession: I was once found myself on the Gold Coast at Cavil Avenue Surfers Paradise outside a venue they were playing later that day and felt keen to go.
    I couldn't work out how to get tickets and my friend was very lukewarm about coming back later so I consoled & comforted myself by silently saying; "Oh well they are a bit passed their peak so don't you fret!"
    It was 1986...........

So I feel more guilt hearing of our US Avids who saw them!

Yep a very Kinky band.