The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I was trying to listen to the new Slash/Myles Kennedy album this morning, but I just cannot get into this. Slash's discography is frustrating to me. I really love the two Slash's Snakepit albums, especially the first one. After that though, the stuff he does is just not up to the standards I hold Slash to in my head. I'm sure some of the guitar work is just fine, but there is something off about these albums to me. Even that s/t album from 2010, which had a bunch of vocalists I like from other bands (and others I don't care about at all)--even then, that album is just boring. The closest track to being okay is the one with Lemmy.

At this point, it's probably best I just give up because he's not making stuff that really appeals to me, but I love Slash, so it just gets a little frustrating.

He seems to be doing just fine with what he's doing, success wise. Just not for me.

2. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Title track is extended with a verse repeated, extra harmonica has added to ‘Cheater’. That’s off the top of my head. The tracks sound great next to the SWOD songs, and a blinding version of ‘Diamonds And Rust’ and cool artwork.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

after the first 1 with miles i checked out. starts getting the same sounding. before that i enjoyed everything he did

4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

That first Snakepit album, I was months waiting for it, reading all the hype in Kerrang, RAW and Metal Hammer, Slash saying it was recorded at the same studio as ‘Appetite’ with the same production team, and how these songs were meant to be GNR songs. I couldn’t wait!
    It was a crushing blow that my younger self never really recovered from when I finally heard the finished product, beyond average songs delivered by a woeful singer.
    Major pinch of salt needed with any Slash interview imo - he’s (still to this day) constantly claiming, for example,“Guns are going into the studio in the summer for a new album hopefully out by end of the year”.

5. Johnny Rock N' Roll

I will say that when that first album was coming out, I was pretty much oblivious to it. I discovered both that and the second one--whose title is escaping me now--at the same time, early 2000s, when I was coming back to the rock n' roll bands and artists I had abandoned in favor of thrash and then punk/hardcore through the 90s. So I had no hype or anything, it was more a of a pleasant surprise that something post-GNR was kicking around. I think Izzy's first post GNR album was the last thing I was aware of from anyone related to the band before ignoring it all, ha, so...yeah--I guess perspective, expectation and experience all go into that pot of "determining how this album sounds to me".

fretter, Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

ain't life grand

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yah me too. I would prefer Slash just do instrumental albums like John 5 does.

8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

As far as Slash post-GnR the only things worthwhile have been the first Velvet Revolver and second Snakepit albums. The rest boring as.

9. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

'Slither;' :agree:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  10. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

IMHO everything slash has done since the first Snakepit album has been boring and sucked.

And myles kennedy might be a great guy or whatever, but his vocals are crap. I don't mean he can't sing, I just mean he sucks.

Doggiedogma, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

Not a lot of Slash stuff solo wows me but for some reason I connected with the World On Fire release in 2014. I really dig that one... 9/10 times if I want solo work from him I grab World On Fire.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. I would say both Overkill and Testament have been going strong with their later era discography. Overkill's last decade or so of albums (at least since 2010's Ironbound) is as good as their first 5 albums.

Anthrax, kyouki, fretter and 6 others like this.
  13. ron/asheton

Testament The Ritual and Exodus Force of Habit need to be repressed on vinyl.

I know, I know, every thrashers least liked albums by those two bands. But my favorites.

caj1970, fretter, Ristifer and 3 others like this.
  14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Re Slash - let me agree with the consensus.

I liked both Velvet Revolver albums well enough - they survive multiple listens. As a supergroup, VR struck me as being at a similar level to Audioslave, maybe a rung below.

But always - always - listening to VR made me long to hear those licks and riffs with Axl’s voice.

Slash’s other stuff is pretty mediocre at best - marred by generic vocals and just bang average, tepid song craft. I’ve never been able to stomach multiple listens.

The reality is Slash is a super cool dude, and an amazing, iconic guitarist, but he writes riffs and solos, and not songs. In Axl and Izzy, he had brilliant song writers to work with. In VR, it kind of sounds like STP not just because of the sound of Weiland’s voice, but his characteristic vocal melodies and phrasing. With Kennedy, it’s just … super bland.

15. Matthew Tate

i think all the slash solo albums with miles you can make one great 12 song album by cherry picking the best from each album. i wish he had just stuck with doing multiple guests on each album

16. Johnny Rock N' Roll

I love both of those too. I wouldn't say they are my #1 in each discography, but they are great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

The only solo-Slash song I love is the one with Fergie on vocals. Would love to hear an entire album with her singing rock songs. Though I enjoyed VR's Contraband when it came on (and seeing them in a small club was incredibly fun), it doesn't get many spins these days. The rest of his (non-GNR) discography doesn't do much for me.

fretter and paradox55 like this.
  18. ron/asheton

Who's Fergie? Was she in a band?

Whenever I hear a song like that with a female guest trying to do the hard rock scratchy vocals I wish they would just get the real thing--the chick from Skew Siskin.

19. ron/asheton

20. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

spacedyed and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am enjoying the new Kirk Hammett EP. It’s nice to hear him on guitar alone without James’ guitar trying to muscle in.

[​IMG]

fretter, Matthew Tate and tinnox like this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

23. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I spun my first edition CD of this totem last night with the intention of playing just tracks 1 + 4 but as ever went 1 thru' 9.

Even 'Rainbow in The Dark' sounds 'essential' nowadays whilst 'Shame On The Night' is an exercise in RJD inflexion-flexing.

Flawless.

Anthrax, kyouki, Tarot Man and 6 others like this.
  24. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Have to agree. Everything else Slash has done has been awful, unimaginative drivel. With extremely mediocre production to boot.

To be honest, I didn't even like VR that much at first either. But it looks like a classic lineup with masterpiece rock and roll records compared to his junk with Myles. Love Slash, but he needs a kick in the rear end.

25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

The Ritual is a beast of a record. Deserves more love. LET GO OF MY WORLD!

Also just bought a ticket to see Testament, Exodus, and Death Angel in October, so I'm pretty pumped for that as well. I've only ever seen Testament as an opener, and finally have the chance to see them as the headliner. With Lombardo back on drums to boot. I had a fangirl moment when I realized I was going to be able to see them again.

Matthew Tate, Mordax and weekendtoy like this.