Pixar: Lightyear - June 17-2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Oct 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

This could be a lot of fun.

To infinity and … Experience the origin story of a Space Ranger in Disney and Pixar’s #Lightyear, in theaters Summer 2022.

Check out a brand-new trailer for Disney and Pixar’s “Lightyear,” an original feature film releasing June 17, 2022. The sci-fi action-adventure presents the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear—the hero who inspired the toy—introducing the legendary Space Ranger who would win generations of fans.

Chris Evans lends his voice to Buzz. Annie Award-winning director and veteran Pixar animator Angus MacLane helms “Lightyear.” Galyn Susman produces.

PTgraphics, superstar19 and PH416156 like this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Saw the trailer, it looks absolutely great can't wait to see it!

therockman likes this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nobody can seem to figure out if this is a fictional film in the Toy Story universe about the fictional character Buzz Lightyear that the toy was based on, or if this is a fictional film in the Toy Story universe about the real Space Ranger Buzz Lightyear that the toy was based on.

Is Lightyear about the real Buzz Lightyear or a Buzz Lightyear who is real?

Buzz Lightyear Trailer Makes No Sense, Breaks Internet's Brain

We Know Him From 'Toy Story,' but Who Is the Character Buzz Lightyear Actually Based On?

MikeInFla and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

For sure.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looks like a winner for sure.

therockman likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Trailer #2

Simon A and Galley like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

after Toy Story 4...I have my doubts they won't find some was to ruin this...HOPEFULLY not!

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I adore Buzz but I don't like the look of this movie at all. First off, we don't have Tim Allen's hilarious delivery and in its place a rather bland Chris Evans. He has a toy robot cat to get some laughs in the movie?
    It's evidently not our Buzz Lightyear (the toy) up there and it comes across as just another kiddie CG movie (great as it "looks").

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, it's too bad Buzz isn't voiced by Tim Allen, but this will decidedly be a different look and feel for Buzz regardless. He's not really a toy or conscious that he's a toy from what I understand. It's in the Toy Story universe but supposedly separate from "Andy's toys" and so vastly different from all the previous entries, TS1-4.

As a parent, it was obvious to me that the toys voiced the concerns and insecurities of aging parents, i.e., about no longer being needed, discarded, thrown out, lost, etc. I'm assuming that won't be a theme for Buzz. Will be interesting to see what Pixar comes up with to make this one work for adults. All Pixar movies can be watched on the kiddie level and the adult level equally well. You can bet this will have a more compelling theme and won't be "just another kiddie CG movie."

But of course Pixar has missteps and can't hit it out of the park every time. Fingers crossed that this is a home run.

10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

It seems wromg without Tim Allens voice.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I know that. It's the character that Buzz the toy was about. Buzz the toy was hilarious because of his (initial) belief that he really was Buzz Lightyear (the character in the new movie) who isn't funny from what we can see in the clips.

12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

My boys are going to flip their wigs over this. They love Toy Story AND David Bowie.

13. Deuce66

14. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

This is looking... underwhelming. It looks like it's cobbled together from popular Youtube videos and other movies. A bit of Planet of the Apes. A bit of meme videos. I can tell there were jokes in the trailer but they fell flat. We showed the trailer to our kids and even their reaction was "Meh." And, they *love* Toy Story.

Also, what is this movie supposed to be? There was already a cartoon, Buzz Lightyear of Space Command, that was the cartoon the character in Toy Story is based on. So, it's not a backstory of the character in Toy Story, as that's been done. It's a... realistic backstory to a cartoon character? A non-canonical movie based on the cartoon character? Or the toy?

This is feeling like Disney asked Pixar for another Toy Story movie, but they have no more ideas for Toy Story movies, so they came up with this. And, I don't blame them, four excellent movies is blowing the curve for all other sequels. This one, however, just seems a bit forced.

15. Deuce66

Go to 25:00 in the video - your questions will be answered.

MikaelaArsenault and jbmcb like this.
  16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately I could stand about three minutes of listening to them talking about themselves crying and their love of cats before I shut it off. I'll wait for an explanatory article to come out.

17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

This really looks awesome. I am there!

18. Deuce66

You almost made it - you can try again go to 28:05. :D

jbmcb likes this.
  19. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Ah, there it is, thanks :)

But then, that begs the question, what is this:
    Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins - Wikipedia

I guess Lightyear is the prequel to... that prequel?

I mean, it doesn't really matter, but usually Pixar is fairly particular about how it's movies relate to each other. Being forced to make junk like the Star Command movie by Disney is one of the reasons Pixar was keen on dissolving their distribution deal (though Disney TV produced Star Command, Pixar was only tangentially involved.)

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Really looking forward to this one!

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

:laughup:

22. Deuce66

Peak Pixar for me is Toy Story I-II-III, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, Wall-E and the opening of UP!. All of them are over 12 years old.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Pixar did some good stuff since then, but basically Disney buying Pixar was the kiss of death. I don't see a bright future. The Toy Story franchise was brilliant because the toys expressed the voices of parents who wanted their kids taken care of and who faced with fear their children growing up, not needing them anymore and going out into the world. It created a theme that all kids and parents could enjoy and relate to. Not sure what Buzz is, but it's not THAT. From what I understand it's the movie that Andy saw when he first became aware of Buzz...or something like that. I loved Luca...until it was pointed out to me that it's Pixar's first "gay coming out" movie, which sort of matches the bragging by one of Disney's production execs. Why they wish to put those themes into kids' movies is something I think all parents should focus on.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Michael

it ain't Buzz without Tim...no thanks...

25. Michael

agree one thousand percent... without a doubt, there is a huge loss of magic ...

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.