Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Officially announced at CinemaCon this afternoon.

- Teaser trailer will debut with Dr. Strange 2 next week
    - The original Avatar (remastered) will be re-released on Sept 23

Avatar 2 Footage Previewed at CinemaCon – The Hollywood Reporter

CinemaCon delegates, donning their 3D glasses, gave an enthusiastic welcome to the return to Pandora with a first look at the teaser trailer for James Cameron’s sequel title Avatar the Way of Water, Wednesday during Disney’s slate presentation.

Producer Jon Landau was on hand, announcing plans to re-release the original Avatar on Sept. 23, with restored picture and sound.

He reported that the four sequels will be about Jake and Nyteri’s family — each a standalone film “together ever greater connected epic saga. We need to make sure they have an experience they can’t get anywhere else, and that needs to be exclusively in theaters.” The teaser trailer only will be initially released next week in theaters, ahead of Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Released in 2009, Cameron’s Avatar quickly became the top grossing film of all time with more than $2.8 billion, while credited for helping to usher in the digital 3D era and introducing new production tools and techniques for 3D and in areas such as performance capture and virtual production. Its sequel is one of the more anticipated films of the past decade.

Star Sam Worthington returns as Jake Sully, along with ensemble Zoe Saldaña as Neytiri, Sigourney Weaver as Dr. Grace Augustine and Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch. The film features series (star-powered) newcomers, including Vin Diesel and Cameron’s Titanic star, Kate Winslet.

Behind-the-scenes talent includes director of photography Russell Carpenter, Cameron’s Oscar-winning Titanic DP. Avatar‘s visual effects are back at Weta FX in New Zealand, again led by senior VFX supervisor and four-time Oscar winner Joe Leteri.

Cameron initially announced two sequels in 2010 and dated them for 2014 and 2015. Those plans evolved over the past decade, with the series ballooning to a total of four sequels, the first of which will finally arrive in theaters on Dec. 16 of this year.

As it has in recent years, CinemaCon sponsor Dolby has outfitted the Colosseum — CinemaCon’s main venue at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas — with Dolby Atmos immersive sound and Dolby Vision, meaning they are installing the company’s premium 4K, high dynamic range, high frame rate and 3D capable laser-based projection system. This enabled the Avatar 2 filmmakers to put on quite a show.

Cameron, Landau and their Lightstorm Entertainment, along with 20th Century and Disney, is expected to offer Avatar 2 in a wide variety of formats to support the range of theater installations, including the use of 3D, 4K and a high frame rate of 48 frames per second.

Tuesday at CinemaCon John Fithian, president and CEO of the National Association of Theater Owners, noted that Avatar 2 will have more versionsthan any movie “in the history of movies” when it arrives in theaters: “We are talking about high resolution, high frame rates, 3D, IMAX, PLF, different sound systems and in 160 different languages.”

“He is working very closely with our members around the world to show his movie in the best possible way,” Fithian said. “Jim is uniquely driven. He’s brilliant. There may be only a couple of hundred screens in [some of the formats] but he wants [Avatar 2] on those screens. It’s time to make sure your light levels are correct and everything about the picture is correct. We’re excited about it.”

Before the release of 2009’s Avatar, Cameron created more than 100 versions of deliverables in various light levels, 2D and 3D, resolutions and sound systems. It was the most ambitious digital release at that time.

Cameron previously used CinemaCon as a platform to discuss the potential of high frame rates. The filmmaker gave a presentation at CinemaCon 2011 with a comparison of 3D content — a medieval dinner and action scene — projected at 24 fps, 48 fps and 60 fps. As the clips played, Cameron shared to his observations, including some distracting strobing that occurs in 24 fps (which has been attributed to why some viewers get headaches when viewing 3D) and pointed to a smoother higher frame rate image

bluemooze, enro99 and PH416156 like this.
  2. Deuce66

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

What? The original came out in 2009, not 1979!

4. Deuce66

I'm going to assume that certain CGI elements/scenes will be raised to the level of A2.

Chris DeVoe and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I immediately said, Wait! Aren't Stephen "We're Not in Kansas Anymore" Lang and Sigourney Weaver's characters dead from the last AVATAR film?

'Avatar 2' Footage Debuts at Cinemacon - Variety

Looking forward to seeing the trailer. We've got tickets for a late show of Dr. Strange next week.

BTW: Cameron indicates that there’s going to be “many dozens” of different versions of Avatar 2 because of all the different aspect ratios, 3D/flat, Imax/regular, Dolby Vision/P3 required for delivery. According to legend, back in 2009 Modern Videofilm (now extinct) reportedly created more than 32 different theatrical versions of the original Avatar for Fox, and that was considered extremely unusual back then.

‘Avatar 2’ First Look Expected at CinemaCon 2022 – The Hollywood Reporter

Quadboy and PH416156 like this.
  6. Deuce66

No one really dies in science fiction :D, we do know that Lang is returning as the same retcon baddie Quaritch, Sigourney is playing a different character (a picture was published of her in a motion capture suit underwater).

[​IMG]

Quadboy likes this.
  7. Not to be confused with The Shape Of Water, the famous fish f****** movie of a few years ago. Goofy as it was, I enjoyed it way more than the 15 minutes of Avatar I sat through before bailing.

poe_man and Ghostworld like this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

WTF! The font isn't papyrus! :realmad:

;)

Deuce66 and Post-Punk Monk like this.
  9. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

So, will there be a 3D Blu-ray release?

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Cameron has always recycled his actors...

As long as you are resurrecting the dead, how about bringing back Michelle Rodriguez?

We appear to be missing Jenette Goldstein, always a favorite?

And now we have Kate Winslet back with the gang... perhaps Leonardo DiCaprio as a well fed Navi prince?

Deuce66 likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Avengers Endgame set box office records for 3D revenue and was also released in 3D for the home market despite the dwindling demand and lack of new TV's with 3D capability. I guess it's possible for A2 if it does really well.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Avatar was almost as thought-provoking and smart!

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:D

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Deuce66

I guess they could've brought her back as a new character or.....not. She was in Alita Battle Angel.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She's busy with Fast & Furious for the next few years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

It appears that she has been that!

Probably making far more money than ever before!

17. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love Avatar and think this sequel sounds pretty cool too. As long as it has awesome visuals and as compelling of a storyline as the original I'm sure I'll love it too.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Full teaser trailer here...

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Endgame" received no US 3D BD release.

It got one outside of the US, but Disney had bailed on 3D BDs in the US at that point.

20. Deuce66

Official Teaser poster, I have no idea who this character is.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Deuce66

He's in the teaser, the tattoo on his left arm is a dead giveaway. Now the question is how?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

They cloned him with some of that unobtanium. :laugh:

Jvalvano and Lars Medley like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Saw the Avatar trailer last night on the big screen before Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness, and it was spectacular. But I still say as I always say, "isn't this just an animated movie?"

altaeria, TwiceFan and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

I'm excited....trailer really sets the tone for the visual wonders to come.
    Been waiting for this for a long time.

Equally excited the original 'Avatar' will be back on the big screens again.
    Will definitely go see it again.

-

Deuce66 and enro99 like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

When I saw the original Avatar trailers, it was in a motel room on a 21" CRT TV. Didn't impress me at all. I thought nothing more about it. The movie looked like video game graphics.

Then a documentary came on about the behind-the-scenes making of Avatar. I was at once thoroughly impressed. While the 3D was visually striking and the effects were done well, the Avatar characters might as well be animations drawn from rotoscoping.

Jon Landau had commented about Avatar back when they were filming Alita, that even though they were using motion capture for the Navi, the characters only had to have a humanoid appearance. With Alita, she had to look lifelike.

I was really expecting that since all these years have passed and the available technology has greatly improved, that we would be seeing some more "Alita" type lifelike characters. I thought that was one of Cameron's main objectives behind Alita, to perfect the technology for his upcoming Avatar sequels?

The trailer, though impressive, still looks like the original Avatar.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Deuce66 and Vidiot like this.