The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

Am I wrong in thinking the last 20 years of Testament and Exodus are basically death metal? Or what an 80s kid would call death metal?

Mordax and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i don't hear that at all. the 2 testament albums in the late 90's were death metal though but never overkill

fretter and Mordax like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Testament got close to it with a few growled vocals on a couple of songs but never went into the genre completely…which is a good thing IMO.

4. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Plus The Gathering is probably in my top 5 metal albums of the 90s.

fretter and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. I’ve never heard of this band before, but loved the song. Just streamed ‘Album Of The Year’. What a ****ing fantastic album!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Did you see those two in Dallas last Friday? They played an outdoor place that was way too small for them, & I heard it was crazy packed.

fretter likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning some Hanoi Rocks tonight.

[​IMG]

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Here's another new hard rock release I need to recommend.

[​IMG]

Just got it and on first listen it is yet another good album from Audrey Horne (their Youngblood album from 2013 which I talked about up here all those years ago remains a personal favorite, and was my pick for album of that year).

Tracks:
    01. Ashes to Ashes
    02. Animal
    03. Break Out
    04. Return To Grave Valley [an instrumental which might be their first?!]
    05. Danse Macabre
    06. Devil's Bell
    07. All Is Lost
    08. Toxic Twins
    09. From Darkness

For this one they continue their twin guitar majesty coupled with heavy riffs baked in a melodic pie crust but slant from a Thin Lizzy-ish vibe to one very reminiscent of 1980's Maiden, as evidenced here in the title track, Devil's Bell, with some Maiden galloping thrown in for seasoning:

My favorite song on the album is actually opening track Ashes to Ashes with its way cool heavy intro and epic ending solos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EDAjKwJ5bg

The last track, From Darkness, is a 7 minute Iron Maiden-ish guitar dueling feast with perhaps "Smith" on the left speaker and "Murray" on the right, especially around the 4 minute mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fklPUOSfPbM

On just one listen I like this album a lot but it doesn't scale anywhere near the heights songwise of 2013's Youngblood masterpiece for me. That could change with more repeated listens but I doubt it, yet I highly recommend this for those that like their hard rock/metal with a melodic edge.

9. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

Straight to the top of the 'next dollop of magma' list; inspired!
    :cheers:

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. PeterSteelePanther

PeterSteelePanther Forum Resident

Yup, they still got it.

weekendtoy and Danny Coffin like this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Glad you like it. They really are a great band. They changed their sound with 2013's Youngblood (a fantastic Thin Lizzy inspired album worthy of your attention) and the albums since then have continued in the same vein (although this new one sounds more 1980's Maiden-ish than Lizzy-ish).

I wrote about Youngblood in this thread here already:
    The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

That post got a lot of likes so worth a read if you don't remember it, I have several links in there to songs from that album like this one, which has a major nod to Thin Lizzy's Johnny the Fox in spots with some incredible twin guitar dueling:

If you are going to start exploring Audrey you gotta start with Youngblood, just killer all the way through.

And fyi, they have a live album called Waiting for the Night, a CD that comes with a blu-ray, which at the time I bought for only $9! Not sure what it goes for now but definitely a bargain for a tenner.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I went on a 5 hour trek last week and loaded up the car with all the albums by Electric Guitars (amongst other bands) to refresh my memory on which album is my fave, and I have to go with their third album, Rock'n'Roll Radio - the one with the song False Flag Operation which I love to death, killer melody & riffs, amazing Angus Young tone from Mika, with inspired contrasting lead guitar stylings from both Mika (with the scaled down Angus blasts from his SG) vs Soren (the maestro who takes only a short and sweet solo in the middle of that song) & posted a couple pages ago.

[​IMG]

12. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

13. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Never was a fan of Slash's post G 'n R work except this track which is unbelievable. The outro solo at 4:30 min., amazing.

14. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

Starting off tonight with a bit of DLR Band after finally picking up the CD from @Arkoffs sale earlier this week. I've been wanting a physical copy for a while and everything finally fell into place.

[​IMG]

15. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Bought this new. My initial reaction wash meh, but with no car and only FM radio, I really bonded with this. Sounds really familiar even after decades. I'm hearing the bass for the first time. Probably Jimmy Haslip again but who knows.

[​IMG]

16. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

There is only one thing I hate about this album.... the cover photo is the biggest half-assed cop out picture on any KISS album... and they have had some phoned in covers (no makeup Creatures is so bad). This one takes the cake as the worst.

17. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

I've moved on from DLR to Death Angel's Fall From Grace from the excellent The Enigma Years mini box set.

[​IMG]

18. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Definitely questionable but then looked cool as a t-shirt I thought.

Mordax and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, when I first saw your post I thought it was a David Lee Roth album but then with the cover art I figured it had nothing to do with him since I have never heard of it & must be a band unrelated to him, but now googling it I see it IS a David Lee Roth album. I gave up on Diamond Dave after A Little Ain't Enough which I didn't like very much (and the followup was horrible) so maybe I did know about this but had no interest, but am not sure. I see it is only released on his own label so maybe it is something I never even heard of though.

20. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

From '87, the most S.O.D. sounding M.O.D. album. The first 7 tracks made me think now that it's unofficial S.O.D. tracks. Maybe an abandoned project that got completed by a different lineup. You be the judge. Best considered comedy.

[​IMG]

Picture off the web.

21. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

It is worth a listen @slipkid ... you will probably enjoy it. I mean, John 5 is on a bunch of the tracks and Luzier on drums.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I am curious. Read some reviews on Amazon which were mostly positive, and despite being on Dave's own label doesn't look out of print and can be had for a reasonable price on CD. Intend to check it out....

23. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I loved it back when it came out...haven't heard it for ages

slipkid, Mordax and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

End of discussion :D:D:D:winkgrin:

[​IMG]

Edit: I was going to start on side 3 looking for "Heaven & Hell" but then I looked at the track listing and thought, no way. One of the things I love about this thread is that there seem to be few "it has to be Ozzy" snobs. I love Ozzy and Dio and have seen both live in the 90s/2000s. Metal dreams do come true.

Anthrax, kyouki, Tarot Man and 11 others like this.
  25. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

The Heaven & Hell tour in 2007 was one of the best shows I ever got to see. It was definitely a dream come true as I never thought they would get back together again in that form.