The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I haven't heard much except for a track here and there. The Metal Allegiance cover of "We Rock" is definitely one of my all time favorites.

Mordax and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Probably both Metal Allegiance albums. Enjoyed both a lot.

Mordax, Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  3. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I will admit, a lot of the tracks on Live Evil sound like the bass frequencies have been cut from the drums. I consider it aesthetically pleasing to my ears, however. Different tracks seem to have different mixes, as well as parts of tracks, which might explain the stories of band members sneaking into the studio at night to twiddle the knobs on the board. Dio sounds a bit distant but to me that just adds to the grandeur. I find the sequence from the drum solo through "Iron Man" absolute bliss.

Anthrax and Mordax like this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Just like Exit Stage Left and Beast From The East I thought the sound of Live Evil was a bit like standing in the car park listening to the show.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I'm quite happy with the original vinyl which I don't recall when and where I found it, but it must've been around 1987, at my local hardly used.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i believe he has more albums now away from megadeth than with them

fretter likes this.
  7. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

11 mins 13 secs of divinity: from that very live album of 1977 by Rainbow and the meandering jam meistery via that unrepeatable quintet of stage based wizardry.

It's track 2, 'Medley/Man on The Silver Mountain/Blues/Starstruck(/reprise outro') and every so oft, the reminder is necessary.

Not too fast, not too slow, all in quantities perfectly metered out: a lesson for the musician and wonder for Y. Truly.

:edthumbs:

8. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

I have a hard time listening to USA for MOD now, and if I do I generally at least skip "Are You Hungry?", but there is no denying Gross Misconduct. Kickass record, to be sure. That and Surfin' MOD are bona fide classics.

fretter and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. caj1970

caj1970 Forum Resident

I'm with you. I love those albums. Our local radio station would play Testament's "Return to Serenity" which I always thought was a great song.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

If you're a fan of Live Evil I highly recommend Live At The Hammersmith Odeon. Disc 2 of the Mob Rules deluxe set or as a standalone set, although the latter might be out of print. Miles better than LE, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

11. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I've shied away from reissues of RJD 'Sabbath material but you've peaked my interest. :thumbsup:

fretter, Jimmy Agates, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  12. Johnny Rock N' Roll

At first I misread that as you have always shied away from RJD Sabbath material---my mind was blowing for a second, ha.

BluesOvertookMe and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Johnny Rock N' Roll

This morning I'm cranking Orchid. As far as I'm concerned, there are two 21st century doomy Sabbathy bands--Orchid and Witchcraft.

Orchid's last release was a single in 2015--so I was assuming maybe they were done, though their website shows them playing at some UK festival in August, so maybe not.

Would love a new album or EP, to be sure.

fretter, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

These guys are pretty decent but I am not sure what sound they are looking for. All of their previous releases sound like old school AC/DC. This release was more like Sabbath than AC/DC.

fretter and Johnny Rock N' Roll like this.
  15. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Wow I am digging this, gonna queue up the album.'

I do remember hearing these guys' first album back when it came out. I haven't really followed them, but yeah, I never woulda guessed they had a Sabbathy album in their catalog.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The stand-alone live at Hammersmith CD went out of print in 10 seconds, I think it was Ltd. to 5,000 copies. Highly recommended no matter which version you get incl. vinyl.

17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I managed to get the Hammersmith CD back in the day and yes this or the extended set of Mob Rules is killer live set, great version of Country Girl is on there !

18. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

He's done a fair amount of guest appearances over the years so it's hard to keep track. I thought his newest effort, The Lucid, is pretty good. Has an Alice N Chains kind of vibe to it me thinks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I didn't pay much attention to David's side projects, but I can recall F5, Metal Allegiance (already mentioned), the most recent Lucid you posted and Altitudes and Attitude. Also Ellefson's solo album No Cover.

fretter, weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

I have a record by Hawaii with Marty Friedman that I don't think I've ever listened to. How does it stack up?

fretter and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Mordax

Mordax Forum Resident

Throwing a little bit of Steeler today. Started with the Germans:

[​IMG]

Then moved on to Steeler from the US, one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

kyouki, Tarot Man, slipkid and 4 others like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

also temple of brutality was a band he was part of during his first departure from megadeth

Soundslave likes this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Here's the thing...it's an imperfect recording in that there are several moments marred by feedback...BUT...it's an unbelievable performance and the mix is spectacular.

25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Lonesurf, Purple, fretter and 6 others like this.