Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

it was kinda amusing to hear him recycling the "mystic church" musings from the live versions of "Summertime In England" circa 89-91 shows...

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

:thumbsup:

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_29EuIgwjU

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

There was no gaping hole. It was the end of side one and worked fine. Maybe it doesn't translate as well onto CD. Listen to Van Morrison CDs like they were albums with a side one and a side two and they work much better (at least they do for me).

Did Ted Templeton only produce three albums? I thought it was more than that.

5. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I don't have much to say about this album... except that I don't like it very much. In fact there is one song in there I actually dislike. But fortunately there is that title track, one of the most romantic songs, another rare chance to hear Van's falsetto. I'll have more to say about the next three albums.

6. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Well, of course I knew he liked a drop now and then, but I didn't know it was already ('71 era) showing signs of being problematic. I thought it came later on.

7. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

What I love about this album is the fantastic flow that it has. It is a truly seemless effort with amazing songs in all the stylistic variety that Van Morrison has to offer.

8. DJ WILBUR

see, or hear, he was kinda chatty at this show. as you can hear he said "Welcome to the breakfast show part 2...by the way anything I ever say up here anytime is not supposed to be taken literally"....

he just cracks me up ...not much to see on this clip but you get the sense of this touring band. sounds very very good for what must be an iphone kind of recording...

thanks so much for posting this...

9. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I have to echo a few other opinions here with the view that this is a patchy one redeemed by the incredible title track. Wild Night and You're My Woman are pretty good too. However I Wanna Roo You is one of his worst efforts. Didn't know Listen To the Lion was cut as part of these sessions. I am glad he saved it for Saint Dominics preview. I can't imagine it on this album and not on the follow up.

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Point taken, but my gaping hole in the middle comment was meant figuratively rather than literally.

I'm surprised this album hasn't generated more comments. . .

11. Clarkophile

Oddly enough, while getting reacquainted with the album for purposes of this thread, this song, while never one of my favourites in the past, became an unexpected delight; something I took great pleasure in hearing. Go figure.

12. DJ WILBUR

:shh: Even one of the co-hosts is having trouble finding the right words....

13. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I will go home and listen to it again tonight, perhaps it will sound magically better for me too. What album was Contemplation Rose cut for? Hard Nose the Highway? He just seemed to have been recording almost constantly between 1970 and 1974 collating batches of songs into albums. Can't believe some of the stuff like that that got left in the can. I am glad Listen To The Lion didn't end up falling by the wayside as he moved onto the next session.

14. Clarkophile

Mmm, "Contemplation Rose,":love: don't get me started on that one or I won't shut up. It's funny, you always read about the Big Hiatus from Veedon to APOT, but yeah, the guy recorded tons of stuff.:thumbsup:

I think what struck me about "I Wanna Roo You" was the bridge, where it breaks away from the jaunty rhythm. Nice contrast.

15. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I love "Wild Night" and like the title cut but rarely play much else. Definitely this and His Band And Street Choir are my least played of the early studio albums.

16. Clarkophile

Your excellent review of Van's concert has bought you some time to get your act together.

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

:laugh: Welcome to the forum, Van. ;)

I am the same, but I rarely listen to any of his early albums these days. There was a time when this was my favorite Morrison album, but I could say that about most of his albums. His singing is great and this album is worth owning.

18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I haven't found my copy to listen to yet, but when I looked over the track listing that was the only one (other than the obvious title track and Wild Night) I could sing in my head. I can't remember anything about any of the others at all.

19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

For me, side two is stronger than side one in that side two has songs that I like to one degree or another, even "Roo You." Side one starts out strong with two good songs and then falls apart.

But that title track, what a monster. I think it benefits from the context of the other songs, though not necessarily the weak ones, so it's not an altogether rock solid masterpiece from head to tail but it is a pretty significant step up in quality from His Band and Street Choir.

20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Hey, I'm not responsible for those comments. They don't represent where I'm at anymore :p I'm just choppin' wood. . . :wave:

21. DJ WILBUR

And i was hoping it would grant me one get outta jail free card!!!! :D

22. Clarkophile

What, are you too busy cleaning windows to listen?:p

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Morrison's "New Biography" lyrics says it all:

See you've got the new biography
    Where did they get the info from
    Same as before, some so called friends
    Who claim to have known me then
    How come they've got such good memories
    And I can't even remember last week
    Got to queston where they're coming from
    What knowledge of me is it that they speak

So far away, way back when
    The people that claim, to have known me then
    Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame
    That they have to play the name game
    The fame game, oh the name game,
    Lord it's a cryin' shame
    Lord tell me what's to blame

Reinvented all the stories they know
    Give them all a different slant
    What is it that they're really looking for
    Just a hobby on the internet

So far away, way back when
    The people that claim, to have known me then
    Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame
    That they have to play the name game
    The fame game, the name game,
    Oh it's such a cryin' shame, tell me who's to blame

If they didn't really know me way back
    How can they know me now, in any respect
    It's a pity they don't feel the pain
    That they should pay the price to play, to play
    The fame game, the name game
    It's such a cryin' shame, please tell me who's to blame

Not on my wavelength and it's such a shame...

24. DJ WILBUR

i cant stop listening to the new Iron & Wine album and I urge everyone to go get it. It's as sweet as Tupelo Honey!

25. Clarkophile

And you mean that figuratively, I presume?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.