The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I like these Presbyterian Church (70's & 80's) promo 45's with music and analysis of different artists on each side.
    I have 4 Stones editions of these that feature interesting flip sides such as Bob Dylan & The Beach Boys.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Dave Davies – Glamour
    Label:
    RCA – RCALP 6005
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: Jul 1, 1981
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style:

[​IMG]

Tracklist

A1 Is This The Only Way?
    A2 Glamour
    A3 Reveal Yourself
    A4 World Of Our Own
    B1 Body
    B2 Too Serious
    B3 Telepathy
    B4 7th Channel
    B5 Eastern Eyes

Companies, etc.
    Credits
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interesting album that I am still coming to terms with. It has some good, pretty straight rock tracks on it that lean towards New Wave-ish territory..... and then it has some other tracks....

I could see this album may perhaps get the most divided reactions of the thread so far.

Dave is Kwirky anyhow, but on here we have some of Dave's style 80's rock.... a track that is somewhat like something Devo may have done earlier on, Reveal Yourself ... and I am looking forward to seeing the lyrics, because at one point I swore he sang relieve yourself on the living room floor, but it may have been reveal ... who knows with Dave.... but anyhow.

There is good diversity, and I think some folks will prefer Dave's vocals, as he much less frequently goes into the upper reaches....

There seems to be quite a bit to like about this one, but really I'll need to wait until we get out the other side to really know how I feel about it.

So, with that, it's over to you guys.
    Give us the lowdown on your thoughts.... you know the drill :)

3. mark winstanley

4. mark winstanley

5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Wow, the cover image is a surprise and very New Wave - it looks like he's trying out for ABC! :p

8. mark winstanley

I figure it won't hurt to throw the opening track in, to give folks a taste of this one today

Is This The Only Way?.

Chorus: Is this the only way,
    For the wheel keeps turning,
    Is there no other way,
    Ooh, heart is yearning.

There is hope in your eyes,
    And all the people say,
    You're a star,
    And you're playing the part,
    But how long do you think it will last,
    I know you, you're not so innocent,
    No way out,
    Well not by your intellect,
    Who are you,
    With no time to resurrect,
    Who are you,
    You say you're the president.

I can't wait any longer,
    Ooh, my love's getting stronger,
    Ooh,
    Why do we need you so,
    Is there no other way,
    To lead our children home,
    There is a light that shines on you,
    You're in a hole and I'm in it too.

Chorus: Is this the only way,
    For the wheel keeps turning,
    Is there no other way,
    Ooh, heart is yearning.

AII your world's a disguise,
    For big business deals, oil bribes,
    Clever men, but where are the wise,
    Cause in reality, freedom lies,
    Who are you, smug in your intellect,
    Dishing out old fashioned politics,
    Money, war, solves everything it seems,
    Nothin' new, same as it's ever been.

I can't wait any longer,
    Ooh, my love's getting stronger,
    Ooh,
    Why do we need you so,
    Is there no other way,
    To lead our children home,
    There is a light that shines on you,
    You're in a hole and I'm in it too.

Oh, we can't let it go.

Is this the only way.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: DABE Music Limited, London, 1981

This almost seems like it has a double meaning. There is certainly a bit of a diss to big business people, and a sort of, they have no heart, it's just about the money....

But I can't help feeling there may be a somewhat slightly masked dig at Ray here also, particularly in the first verse.
    And all the people say,
    You're a star,
    And you're playing the part,
    But how long do you think it will last,
    I know you, you're not so innocent
    and the line
    You say you're the president.
    could well refer to the dynamics of the band, and Ray's Admiral of the fleet type leadership.

It's a pretty good lyric, and I can read a few scenarios into it.

Musically it is pretty good too.
    Dave seems to have the vocal mixed back a little, and that gives the song a sympathetic mix, even though for the most part, Dave isn't right up in that top zone that bothers some folks.

We open with a power chord type guitar thing over a synth bed and a solid beat, and initially we have a fairly straight kind of thing going on.
    When we hit the verse we have the vocal sections being accented by the rhythm of the guitar, and we get a few more chords thrown into the mix.

Dave seems to settle a little and throw in a fairly well paced lyric that gives focus to the melody.

The song has a sort of hard rock meets new wave kind of feel and sound, and I think it works pretty well.

I don't find the song to be stunning or anything, but it is a solid and enjoyable track.
    We get a nice melodic guitar near the end that gets harmonised, and that is about the extent of any kind of guitar that could be seen as a focus.

Solid opener to the album.

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Never heard this album, but I have to say (in relation to The Kinks 80s looks which have been under discussion recently) I think Dave looks very cool on the sleeve of this one.. it's kind of an 80s take on film noir, Bladerunner kinda thing. He's like some kind of immaculate spiv android replicant! My personal opinion is that early 80s fashion was pretty great, but that things went seriously off the boil after about 83 or so, The Kinks being no exception to this rule.. in particular I'm gonna have some harsh words re Rays later 80s and 90s looks! But for now Dave (still only 34 here!) is still one well turned out guy imo.

btw, just thought I should update everyone (in particular @DISKOJOE ) that as of this last week, I'm feeling A LOT better..

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  10. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Glamour"

I've already mentioned that I found a copy of the 2-for-1 CD release containing this album back in the 90s. While I like Dave's first solo album, it has always been Glamour that I've preferred of the two albums - not least because the complete album was on this disc.

To me it is more sophisticated, more polished than AFLI, and more contemporary-sounding with influences from new wave and even post-punk coming into the mix here. There is also more of a sense of humour in here. Having Bob Henrit providing the drums throughout helps this album to sound more consistent. Yes, there are still some heavy guitars here, and some high vocals, but not as much as on AFLI, I think. Yes, the lyrics are still largely ludicrous. But somehow this album strikes more of a chord with me. By the time we get to the last couple of tracks I think this music is genuinely taking flight and living up to its cosmic lyrics.

It's not going to be to everyone's tastes, but to me this is the best of Dave's three 80s solo albums.

11. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Is This The Only Way"

Straight off the bat this sounds different. Strong pounding drums and power chords overlaid with a big synth to provide some atmosphere. Essentially it's only a two-verse song, but there is a lot of complexity inside that verse structure with at least four different sections. The main melody which opens the verse is strong, leading into a more subdued section where Dave's vocals come down a few notches. The verse climaxes with the "why do we need you so" section, which is another catchy melody. The track ends with a nice bit of additional guitar. I think it's an impressively strong opener. Like Dave's previous lyrics, I prefer to just pick out a few odd lines that I like rather than try to make any kind of coherent sense out of them.

"Hard rock meets new wave" pretty much sums it up, and much of the rest of the album.

12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I find Dave's vocal in the chorus pretty painful on this. Fortunately it settles down a bit for most of the verses, but I really only like the 'I can't wait any longer' etc verses.

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Do I detect some of Ray's Cockney mannerisms on this one? Parts of this remind me a bit of the Who but I'm distracted by the fact that it also reminds me of a song by the Glitter Band! Nice guitar at the end but, all in all, it's not really the sort of music I would listen to.

Wondergirl, Ex-Fed, markelis and 5 others like this.
  14. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

isn’t this the Kinks we are talking about? Seems it should be Krushed Velvet!

15. All Down The Line

Glad to hear your positive news and I thank you for sharing it.

16. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I've listened to the album yesterday for the very first time. It sounds quite different from the bar code LP, less cluttered, less messy. There's a cleaner, dryer approach, even though the layered screaming guitars are still there. It was still hard to swallow in one go. I had to stop after the first side to catch my breath. I listened to Nilsson sings Newman and took a little nap with an audio relaxation tape before coming back at it… We love Dave Davies, but we're accustomed to one song every six years or so… I've even come to reconsider my vote for the three songs a day treatment ! ;)

The drums certainly make for a huge difference and the first song's a case in point. It hits even harder but the whole thing seems less suffocating more "open", less claustrophobic than the first record. With the big guitar chords, the heavy drums and the high synths, it could be a Word of Mouth or UK Jive Dave outtake (I'm well aware this can either be a criticism or a compliment, depending on which Dave songs from those records we think of). Not a particular favorite but a good scene setter, I suppose.
    Oh, and nice celluloid hero look on the cover ! Very George Sanders… Even covered with garbage, Dave Davies would still have sty-y-yle…
    You've got the Gene Clark lyrics slightly wrong but it's great news!

17. mark winstanley

Interestingly, I prefer AFL1.
    I think Glamour Starts off well, and it is weirdly interesting.... for me it fades off, and starts moving into absurdity lol

But it's going to be interesting to see what folks think.

18. All Down The Line

Is This The Only Way

This sounds more complete and evenly mixed than some of Dave's previous LP and this impression is probably enhanced by the inclusion of a seasoned pro drummer.
    I've given up trying to understand Dave's lyrics as a whole however he does manage to slip together the odd nice turn of phrase or couplet.
    After the opening stanza we hear Dave's voice a little too naked in the spotlight for my liking and it is the one moment that doesn't sound like a sound professional decision.
    Again some nice guitar lines in the outro and for a very brief moment sounded like Dave's solo from Do It Again.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Is This The Only Way?

It’s hard to answer the question when I can’t decipher what Dave is rambling on about. Shining lights and being in a hole…the usual politics, etc etc until my head is spinning.

The drums remind me of Neil Young and Crazy Horse ‘Goin’ Home.’ Though nothing else is similar!

Lyrics aside, it’s pretty straightforward with a couple of parts not quite fully formed. But not my cuppa.

20. mark winstanley

Wait til you get to the aliens later.... it really is a bit wtf.... kinda makes you wanna get Dave some help lol

21. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Glamour

Dave solo albums, like my quest for the driest Merlot, is something of an acquired taste. His output is not always comparable to fine wine, maybe more boxed wine; but even peasant juice can bring pleasure. I detect notes of Rush (Subdivisions era), Gary Numan, Devo, and maybe even a little Kaleidoscope era Siouxsie and the Banshees.
    I saved this album from a cut-out bin in December 1985, the same day I bought Low Budget. Glamour had a leg up because most of Low Budget I already knew from OFTR.
    The artwork is fab; Dave as the laconic old-world film star, dressed to the nines; the Art Deco font, the Glamour scrawl, the symbolism of man’s vanity in the face of apocalypse; all winners.
    A very contemporary sound for 1981 and a more focused effort. There are two songs on side 2 that I consider filler but I have always enjoyed this album and even have a couple friends (non-Kinks fans) that rate it very high.

Is This The Only Way

A strong opening song aided by the arrival of Bob (Plaster Caster) Henrit. The second verse contains some clever lyrics and Dave seems to have learned a lot about production since his debut lp.

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Haha, I was hoping to drop the info that Bob Henrit has the distinction of being the only 'member' of The Kinks (admittedly before he has in the band) to have been immortalised by the recently deceased Cynthia Plaster Caster! I do remember on CPC's old website she shared an image some kind of fangirlishly obsessive 'Ray Davies shrine' or similar she drew in her teenage diaries though, so RDD was likely on her want list, but it was not to be.

23. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Would like to drop in on the Dave discussion to say I am listening to the Oakland 1980-10-08 show (though Ray addresses the audience as San Francisco). I used to have it on cassette so not a new acquisition. A very listenable audience recording of a band in top form. It features a two song Dave set - "Imaginations Real" and "Nothin' More To Lose" - and I found it particularly powerful so that's how I get my solo Dave. Right now Dave is laying down a blistering solo on "Gallon Of Gas". [Edit - next song "Dead End Street" which was scarce in my listening to shows up to this point]

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  24. All Down The Line

Well Mick & Keith were on Cynthia's teenage want list & here is the letter she sent them.
    No banned words here but (juvenile) adult content so if @mark winstanley wants it deleted then so be it.

RIP Cynthia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Is This the Only Way
    I was prepared not to like this but I don't - i.e. I don't dislike it. I still think Dave needed to rope in a singer but I won't reopen that discussion. On the music though he's tapped into a great mix of the harder rock of the time and the synths and big production that was about to dominate the airwaves. As for the lyrics.....
    Glamour
    In Kink, Dave explains what was on his mind when he was recording the album and it's quite noteworthy: "It was the Reagan/Thatcher era, and the idea behind the album was that you can't always believe what you see with your eyes and hear with your ears. It's what's going on behind the scenes that controls the outer appearance of things. Its essential themes are Vanity, Megalomania, Illusion, Control." [read of this what you like, but it could also be read as a reference to AI-enabled 'deep fakes', which weren't a thing to worry about until recently.]
    Dave continues: "I wanted to do a sort film based on the record, about a forties film star, a Cary Grant meets Ronald Regan type, who gets elected president. He looks so dashing, smart, clever, he's a publicist's dream. A man concerned only with his self-image, consumed with himself. In the background, in old-fashioned black-and-white, are scenes depicting a modern-day holocaust. He, of course, is oblivious, going to meetings, making TV appearances, attending functions, making speeches, continually failing to notice the awful misery and carnage around him. At one point a strange, alien hand appears as if from nowhere....its forefinger stretched in a desperate attempt to lure the President's gaze away from the 'immediate' and into the future. Alas, the 'star' doesn't see it, being blind to all but himself. .... The promotion and marketing people thought it was too serious, too heavy."
    Whatever I think of Dave's lyrics and philosophy I'll never again think of him as a fantasist. He tapped into the future zeitgeist pretty well.