New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Played the song just now since this tune was divisive. And... well I wish the accordion and also the organ were higher in the mix, and this imaginary band at Sleepy Joe's was playing more Tex Mex style than Buffet style, and Bruce's voice was less up front in the mix. I know, everybody's a critic.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I would probably qualify as a person that is not a huge fan of Bruce's later work though I own them and have played them - other than a few gems scattered along the way, I have not connected with much Bruce has done since the 1990s (I liked Lucky Town quite a bit). I had heard Western Stars was different so a few weeks ago I picked it up at the local record store and started spinning it. Around the second to third spins, I was not sure and I had a sinking feeling about it but that changed quickly. I have to say, I think it is an exceptional album. If you ask me, it's the pedal steel! And a pretty good set of songs. I am partial to "Chasin' Wild Horses", "Tuscon Train" and the title track. I don't mind "Sleepy Joe's Cafe" but it does seem like a bit of an outlier though I follow the slice of light-hearted relief idea. But I am glad I picked it up and played it through my early doubts.

jeremylr, Markab, Sean and 13 others like this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

A fave for sure--one of his best...and also check out Devils & Dust...if you haven't done a deep dive. Fantastic!

Devils & Dust...same feel as Western Skies without the strings. Stunning.

For me the 21st Century Springsteen catalog has become the modern day go-to Americana living legend ...
    the 21st Century icon who carries the torch for Woody & Pete.

Martin Byrne, Markab, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. stewedandkeefed

Devils & Dust is probably the late era Bruce album I have played the most. I might need to pull that out and keep it in the car with Western Stars. My favourite Bruce album is Nebraska but that was a very slow burn. It took me years to arrive at that assessment. I think Nebraska and Western Stars are different but cut from the same cloth.

5. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Western Stars continues to grow in my estimation as one of Bruce's very best. Definitely the best latter day Bruce. It's one of those albums that takes you to a particular place in your mind. Unlike anything else in his catalogue. Chasing Wild Horses, Sundown and Western Stars are favorites. The best of the lot (imho) is The Wayfarer. Sleepy Joes and There Goes My Miracle are my least favorite, but I don't skip any.

6. I have yet to be able to play this album any way other than from start to finish, first song to last... Its a proper album, in that regard. A perfect and beautiful piece of work.

7. lemonade kid

Yes...I just put Western Stars and Devils and Dust on the-in car flash drive. Ghost Of Tom Joad is another that fits that mold.

:cheers:

8. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

I agree 100 %.

No, make that 99 %. "Sleepy Joe's Café" is underrated!

RSteven, lemonade kid and SJP like this.
  9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Joad never clicked with me. Unlike WS, D&D, or Nebraska, the song structure (or lack thereof) make the album a bit of a slog IMO. Title and ending tracks excepted.

10. lemonade kid

Every track is a perfect 1o for me and that is a hard one for any artist including Bruce/..Sleepy Joes is a toe tapper that gets me up and dancin',
    ...There Goes My Miracle is one of my all time favorite Springsteen tunes...
    its sad beauty cuts like a knife.

11. lemonade kid

I get that.

12. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'd be okay if Bruce made Western Stars II . Western Stars in my estimation, has Bruce's best songwriting in years. WS would have been a different album had he cut it with the ESB and perhaps not as good. While the ESB is great, they have a particular approach that didn't suit the sound and feel of WS. I'm curious to see what Bruce does next.

13. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

What is everyone's take on Western Stars-Songs From The Film?

I picked this up on vinyl around the time I got the Western Stars album and it has been my intention to immerse myself in the album proper before listening to the songs from the film. I dare to say my immersion has been a success with rich rewards to be had upon each listen. Western Stars is perhaps the single most immersive experience I've had in the last couple years which says a lot given the sheer volume of music that I listen to.

No better time than the present to check out the film songs!

14. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

It's the same but a bit different. Both are mandatory. I agree that WS is his best work in years, with a pretty good follow up with LTY.

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Have you heard any of the D&D material live? Really elevated it imo.

lemonade kid likes this.
  16. stewedandkeefed

Some. My friend went to and taped the Detroit opener back in the day. I have downloaded files (all the Crystal Cats) that are part of various listening programs. Generally, I prefer Bruce with a band (saw him once solo in 1996) but I listen to a lot of live stuff and you learn lots about an artist you wouldn't any other way so at some point, I will pick out a few 2005 shows.

GMfan87' likes this.
  17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I went to his Cleveland show on that tour, one of my best performances of his or anyone's I've seen.

maui jim and SJP like this.
  18. lemonade kid

No...thanks! I will check it out.

GMfan87' likes this.
  19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Went to Chgo&Milwaukee shows. Diff legs I think. Sooo much better than Joad shows

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I loved that show ( he did a wonderful "Incident" on piano) so much I went to NJ, and CT one as well. I didn't make it to any Joad, but some very good boots from the shows.

21. lemonade kid

Western Stars, 2019, recorded live, in the Barn, on HBO
    Currently available to watch for those who didn't see it in theaters.

Highly recommended. As good as the studio release...
    The soundtrack would be worth buying....has it been released?

A wonderful live performance.
    Sounds as good as the album & words by Bruce, with a live ambience that inspires...goosebumps.

In my five Bruce albums of all time ... my new favorite Springsteen album to date

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Yes, Western Stars was released as a movie/documentary soundtrack in addition to the studio album that preceded it. The performances are different but (from memory) the tracks are near identical, but not quite.

23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

… and the barn show includes “Rhinestone Cowboy.”

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes, you are spot on. I’d forgotten that. It’s a nice version too. One of the reasons I got the album.

lemonade kid, RSteven and Bill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.