The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Glamour"

The most straight ahead hard rock track on the album, and it's still pretty wonky! Nice riffage at the start, with the slowly strutting chorus leading into a strange verse with a chord sequence which Dave seems to have strung together at random. Some more nice guitar work between the verses, but my favourite bit is the outro, with that circular harmonised lick and the descending bassline under it. It's not a classic or anything, but I like it.

"Reveal Yourself"

"Wonky" doesn't begin to describe this - Dave's first entry in the new wave stakes. I don't know much about Devo but I suppose it's one of the nearer comparisons? A strange collection of bits - the soaring verse, the frantic chorus where Dave takes on the mannered voice of a new wave vocalist, sheep noises (!), "reveal yourself on the living room floor" (no thanks, Dave!)

It probably goes on one iteration too many and could do with some editing, but somehow these bits which have no right to be in the same song seem to hang together and produce an entertaining whole. Things get stranger still on Side Two...

"World Of Our Own"

But first we have the Side One closer, the album's only ballad, and a relatively straightforward song. It's synth-heavy, which is pretty much on-point for 1981. I think it has a nice relaxed atmosphere, with a contrast between the verses laden with synth and the more bare-bones sound of the chorus. Dave's vocals remain largely within the pain-free zone, and it has a nice fade-out. Doesn't feel too long at six minutes, and I think the four songs on Side One have given us four different styles, but all hanging together quite well.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Glamour=Guitar

Guitars well layered, harmonized, call and responses between themselves, some crunching chords & strong single string lead work.
    I am sure other things happened though didn't hold my attention.
    Edit: That snare leaves me cold.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  3. All Down The Line

Reveal Yourself

Very new wave with some nice chord changes in one part in particular.
    Dave's vocals as usual stand out and in the rapid fire sections even in a good way though this isn't my bag at all and have already lived through the era once and i don't find this sort of thing has aged well and could certainly use a hip replacement!

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

It’s true Dave’s songs seem messy and aimless on first listen. Like a big mash of sounds and ideas that will never fully coalesce. But then the second (or third) time you listen to (most of) them, you can’t understand why you ever felt that way about them… That’s’ not to say you necessarily end up loving the songs, but it all starts to make sense in an unexpected way (both because you didn't expect it and because it does so idiosyncratically). The Kink passage @Steve62 posted yesterday is also very enlightening as far as the lyrics are concerned: today’s first two songs do seem to fit in Dave’s sociological sci-fi concept, very close to They Live! (remember the John Carpenter flick with the yuppies revealed as aliens? Incredibly the two men later worked together on the Village of the Damned soundtrack !).
    Glamour’s the most straightforward song here, effective and radio friendly, once more in a big Pat Benatar/Bonnie Tyler FM kind of style. You’ve got to love the harmonized twin guitars solo. Reveal Yourself is a big departure, with manic Devo meets Gun Club undertones. It’s indeed repetitive but it does have one of the prettiest melodic bridges Dave’s ever did, the “yes it’s true / I Love You” section, a beautiful soothing sunrise in an otherwise insistent alienated chaos. At six minutes, World of Our Own is the longest and most openly ambitious tune here, and perhaps the one that rewards repeated listening the most. I can’t really make out the lyrics, they’re too verbose and obtuse for me, but there’s something enveloping about this track, an almost synth pop ballad, like something that could be found on the Giorgio Moroder re-imagined Metropolis soundtrack, if you remember this “eighties-iest” of eighties artefacts (I’ve just realized both Pat Benatar and Bonnie Tyler are on it… I swear I didn’t do it on purpose).
    Oh and one last thing not mentioned about yesterday's song, Is This the Only Way ? : the guitar riff in the outro is the Misfits melody, almost note for note. Of course, it's a pretty basic chords progression, but Dave Davies can't play the Misfits melody in 1981 unknowingly. So I consider this 100% intentional!

5. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Glamour

As our headmaster says, the guitar breaks are quite nice but as the title track, and after Dave has expounded on the back story to the song, his ideas really aren’t fleshed out lyrically.

Reveal Yourself

Nice guitar tone and drums on the intro. An interesting new-wavish song that could have been so much more. The otherworldly screams and moans makes me think of the lost souls in George Saunders excellent novel Lincoln in the Bardo.

World of our Own

I figure that’s a pretty intriguing opening stanza, especially for a ‘love song’. I have always enjoyed the slow burn drama of this track, a great song to close an album side. I would say this is the one song so far that realizes it’s full potential.

6. All Down The Line

World Of Our Own

Dave spends time singing tastefully and within himself and has some sympathetic guitar supporting the end of some vocal lines.
    Somewhere I get a fleeting little reminder of the song Misfits so that suggests melody and craft to me.
    A welcome Dave ballad though iam sorry to hear it's the sole one on this album so fear this man may weep to(morrow) night!

7. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Actually it's debatable whether the closer "Eastern Eyes" may be a ballad...possibly. The next four tracks are somewhat more manic!

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I obviously have a much narrower idea of new wave than a lot of people here. Having said that, "Reveal Yourself" definitely sounds like Dave is going for something in that area in the "reveal yourself" sections - and, yes, he's channelling Devo! However, the "For there are places even you don't know" etc parts sound really like late-70s Sparks. Not that much of a jump from Sparks to Devo of course. The song is still all over the place stylistically though.

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Glamour
    This for me is an instantly likable tune with a snappy rhythm, chunky riffing and good chorus. @Fortuleo mentioned Pat Benatar, who I really liked in 1980-81, and I hear a similar sound.
    Reveal Yourself
    The video of this shows some stills of Dave's film vision - including a mysterious hand which unfortunately looks nothing like ET's :D It is a synth-heavy tune with an interesting contrast between the melodic verses and new wave-ish chorus. I was getting a strong Split Enz vibe during the chorus but I can also see why some folk might hear Devo. The sheep sounds at the end were an unexpected touch!
    World of Our Own
    Another synth-heavy song which I feel is more about the message. Then again, after reading the message I'm not sure of that either. I'll need to give this one a second chance.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve been enjoying reading this morning’s song descriptions while not being motivated to listen myself. Finally, though, with a cup of coffee consumed, I felt emboldened to push the ‘play’ button.

“Glamour…TOdayyyyyy”…well, that’s it for me. No, thank you.

Reveal Yourself: I don’t hear Devo but then I was in stitches by the time Dave sings “reveal yourself on the living room floor.” Didn’t get past that point.

I’ll take a breather before tackling the last one.

(I should search out the chart information on this album. I think it was posted in that Kinks and co. overview posted several weeks back.)

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I heard all the sfx, and they were fun....
    I just disturbs me that Dave is revealing himself with Sheep.... and I'm trying to avoid flossy jokes :)

12. mark winstanley

Thanks to @pyrrhicvictory 's chart, that I linked just above the band members.
    I can say
    Billboard
    152 highest position
    8 weeks in the chart
    Cash box
    Record world

13. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Are we doing all of Side Two tomorrow, or over two days? (Having seen on another thread that we are starting Give The People What They Want on Friday)

14. mark winstanley

3 tomorrow
    2 and the summary Thursday
    GTPWTW Friday :righton:

Whoops I have my days wrong again lol

Spinning out of control here
    3 tomorrow
    2 and summary Friday
    GTPWTW Sat :D

15. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Good recovery - thought I was on the wrong day for a moment!

16. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Glamour
    This song is growing on me a bit. It certainly has a memorable (yet simple) chorus, but it has been in my head the past day or two! The melodic lead breaks are pretty nice, and the song settles in nicely. Pure power pop 80s.

Reveal Yourself
    Definitely hear the Devo vibes, but is this also the most Kinky (or kwirky) song on Side 1? The "There are no rules..." section is very different (in a good way), and connects back to the "Reveal yourself" mantra really well. I think that's what I'm noticing so far. These songs seem to be constructed a bit tighter than AFL1, with different sections bridged together in a better way, and less jarring.

World of Our Own
    A nice vocal by Dave, and a very atmospheric song with what I assume is a bit of a drum-loop in there (especially at the beginning, but it does linger throughout). Good guitar highlights and a heavy synth foundation that I am ok with. A different sound to close out the side.

Now, I wouldn't call this a concept album at all, but I do think that these 3 songs today may touch upon a common thread... That there is this artificial façade that we often put up, and we hide behind. What we show others is generally not really who we are. I think this is very apparent on social media. We can get into our information bubbles and our opinions tend to be a mirror that reflect those that agree with us. We use photoshop to hide any imperfections. Remember red-eye reduction tools a decade ago? Well that's nothing compared to what apps can do now... How many out there really know who we truly are?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  17. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Is This The Only Way?
    Ugh...I think this is not for me. There are moments that I border on liking it, but then it disappoints. Kind of pedestrian. and goes on for too long.
    best lyric:
    Money, war, solves everything it seems,
    Nothin' new, same as it's ever been.

18. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Glamour
    The flipside of the opener. Not nearly as interesting musically, but much more effectively delivered, especially the vocal

Reveal Yourself
    This is probably the biggest riser from my initial album purchase (1985 or 86 maybe) and today. That punky new wave vibe has grown on me of late and Dave pretty much masters it. First cut on the album I give high marks for both the song itself and the delivery.

A World Of Our Own
    Wow! Dave can do atmosphere! I can pretty much just float along with this throughout its considerable length.

19. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I think that's my number in reverse. I DID get to yell "I Love You Ray!" after a solo show in NYC some years back. Spoke with Dave on the phone prior to an interview with my colleague Greg O'Brien. Really hope they play solo or together again. Everyone else seems to be

20. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Very busy day at work today - so I just got a chance to look at this thread today. I knew there was something familiar in the song, but I didn’t stop the song to think about what it was. After playing the opening side of Glamour in the background while getting ready for work, I had an inexplicable urge to play the song Misfits! Thanks for the explanation @Fortuleo

Wondergirl, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  21. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Ok, none of these are knocking me out. But, not awful either. Just ok. Better, but maybe weirder, is yet to come.

22. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Glamour (album)

On first listen I like this album less than the first one. Both have an awful sound, but at least AFL's sound is awful in an interesting way. And I liked the songs on AFL better. Still, some of the songs on Glamour may grow on me.

Is this the only way ?

Don't like.

Glamour

I like a good rocker with unusual chord changes and chromatic key shifts like this.

Reveal Yourself

Good song. There is the mechanical energy of Devo-style new wave without the dryness, partly thanks to the melodic verse.

A world of our own

Sounds nice, but I have to give it a few more listens.

23. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Glamour (the album)
    A long time since I've managed to listen to this through, or even in part. Never managed to get into it. Maybe this more gradual look through will help. I've always preferred by far Dave's next solo album.
    Is This The Only Way
    I don't like the chorus, so tend to have always skipped on to the next track (and on and on again usually). However, now, having read the lyrics, they're quite interesting and the verses are quite pleasant to listen to. If the somewhat screamed chorus had been toned down, perhaps I could stomach it better. I still don't think it will force its way into my Dave Davies compilation!

DISKOJOE, markelis, Zeki and 7 others like this.
  24. All Down The Line

I'm not having a baa of your claim Mark!

25. All Down The Line

Wait you can eliminate red eye?