SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MGM

MGM Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick response!...and thanks for maintaining this fine forum.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You're welcome, glad to have you here.

JorgeGvb, longdist01, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The 2013 remaster of Moondance (which uses the tambourine mix of "Into The Mystic") has some gnarly tape damage at the beginning of "And It Stoned Me". It's the only serious damage I noticed throughout the disc, though. Do you recall other spots that were damaged?

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Steve, has your age and the degradation of hearing acuity that occurs naturally with aging affected your approach to mastering? And if so, how do you compensate for it?

By the way. Unfortunately my hearing loss is occurring significantly more in one ear than the other. This is a downer, but exploring and listening to music is still my favorite pastime! Oh, and despite my hearing loss, I can still recognize and deeply appreciate well mastered recordings. They mean more to me now than ever! Thank you for your passion and attention to detail at your craft Steve.

One other thing; Because my hearing is faltering, I refrain from detailed opinions of sound quality other than to say whether or not I find audio quality to be pleasant. The main thing that makes audio unpleasant for me these days is excessive compression. It makes me ears ring even at low to moderate volumes.

Jarleboy and All Down The Line like this.
  5. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

My understanding is Steve retired years ago.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

I"m lucky. I've still got it. I'm working on a giant John McLaughlin album right now (double LP and digital) and I've found that years of listening at low volume, avoiding headphones and concerts has made it possible for me to still hear without falling over..

And a British metal band I'm doing, I make sure not to keep the volume up for a long period of time. Just like always.

7. Steve Hoffman

Nothing serious. I remember making a 15 ips flat copy of one song on there that had about 30 edits in it. That was about it, the other songs were fine..

InStepWithTheStars and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I remember the day that Steve asked the forum to go and hunt out their early pressings of Moondance to see if there was a tambourine on Into The Mystic. I headed down to my music room and pulled out four early copies with the earliest copy having the tambourine and none of the others. The replies that day helped Steve to decide which version to use for the re-issue.

Steve went on to tell us how there came to be a tambourine and non-tambourine copy in the first place and it has become one of my favourite memories of the value we get from this forum. I've used this example many times to explain some of the nuances of record collecting. It's funny, the ones who get the importance of the story, really get it, the others think I'm crazy.

9. Steve Hoffman

A good kind of crazy though...

10. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Wonder if they've already made that move with " The Dark Side of the Moon "?

Rupe33 likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Glad to read here that you are still working, although realize with AF having gone OOB that any hope I have of you working on more Earth, Wind & Fire Albums is most likely gone.

Still look forward to any future Albums you work on that might be of interest to me, or spur me on to explore those Albums, as had already happened in recent years, despite those Albums on DCC or AF Label being more expensive(a few way higher in price than others) due to supply and demand.

longdist01 and hi_watt like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Earth, Wind & Fire?" Nah, that won't happen, I'm bettin'.

I'm trying to convince Tyler to do upscale versions of "IGOR" and "CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST." My kids (and all their friends) can't get enough of that guy..

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

IGOR is a Good Album. I streamed it but glad I had not yet bought a Physical Copy, now knowing you might potentially work on it. Have not yet listened to Call Me If You Get Lost, but will do so eventually. Been spending time listening to Albums by Fripp on his upcoming Deluxe Box Set.

Steve Hoffman and hi_watt like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

My wife can't stand either album. But she can't stand Chris Montez either, and my kids love both "CALL ME" and "LET'S DANCE" so what does that tell ya? I raised 'em well (being held captive in my car for a zillion years riding to and from school, listening to the history of music.)

snkcube, phillyal1, Natvecal. and 8 others like this.
  15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

OMG "Let's Dance" is killer!

16. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Ummm...older or newer band?

MGM and hi_watt like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Newer..

MGM, longdist01 and lpfreak1170 like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Perhaps you could let us know what the product is when it has been released.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Of course!

CraigVC, MGM and supermd like this.
  20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Steve, for all of us that don't understand what you just said (maybe i'm the only one), would you be able to explain in more detail, the 1st 2 sentences, please? Thanks.

21. Steve Hoffman

What don't you understand exactly? Can you restate? Patching a master with bits of a safety is a good way to save the master..

22. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I love that, too. So, which version did Steve use on that re-master? With or without tambourine?

Dalziel53 likes this.
  23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yeah.. I think i'm really not aware of the recording process. I'm trying to get my head around how you have used the safety tape to "clean up" stuff? If it's too much trouble to explain to a non-recording guy, that's ok. It's a magical thing, I believe.

24. Steve Hoffman

25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Did you ever visit the old Norman Petty studio in Clovis, New Mexico, and if so, what was your favorite part of the visit?

Tommyboy likes this.