Longest commerically released 7 inch 45rpm record? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by videoman, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member Thread Starter

Talk on another thread of the possibility of putting 11 min on a 45rpm side made me wonder---what was the longest commerically released 45?

The longest one I can think of offhand that I personally owned is "Take Your Time" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (the b-side of "Sweet Home Alabama") which clocks at 7:23. I have recollections of owning a single once that was over 8 min, but I can't remember which one that might have been.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

IIRC, the live version of Springsteen's "Incident On 57th Street," which was the b-side of "War," ran more than 11 mins.

3. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

For a long time, in the Netherlands, the longest 7" single was Halo of flies by Alice Cooper - It wasn't released elsewhere in the world, but only in the Netherlands AFAIK. Its running time is 8'23 minutes.
    Long after that, actually shortly before 7" singles weren't widely available anymore, the Guns 'n' Roses song November rain was issued in its full length glory on a 7" single. I have it, but not at hand. I believe its running time is 8'49 minutes or so.
    I also remember having a single with the full length version of Child in time - 10.10 minutes. This was a reissue from the eighties that didn't chart.

4. phish

phish Jack Your Body

are we talking about a 7" 45 or can it be a 12" 45?

5. videoman

7". I should have said so in the thread title. If someone wants to edit the thread title to reflect that, that would be cool!

6. SilentCries

SilentCries New Member

I'm assuming 7"... I never thought much about the time limit of the 7" single (perhaps because I don't deal with much vinyl).

7. I think this ran at 33.3, though. I don't think you can get more than 8 minutes on a 7" at 45 rpm, and that's if you don't mind it being really quiet and flat-sounding.

8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Richard Harris - MacArthur Park
    Riders on the Storm - Doors
    Very long A-sides. Of course, we all know about Hey Jude.

9. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The Springsteen runs at 45rpm, I don't have it handy, but I thought it was only 10+ minutes long.

10. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

MacArthur Park was a single in its full length, but IIRC Riders on the storm ended at about 4'30 on the 7" single - at the point where the music stops for a little while during the piano part.

11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Were there two versions of this?
    I have it on the "Fire" single, and on that it clocks in at 10:03...

How about "American Pie"? They had to split that up in half in order for the album version to fit on a single!...

12. Longest 7" A-side I'm aware of that was actually a hit (well, in some countries) is Laurie Anderson's "O Superman". This runs slightly over 8 minutes; don't know what speed it ran at.

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

This is correct. And yeah, it didn't sound too good IIRC.

14. videoman

I believe MacArthur Park was 7:29, which makes it six seconds longer than the Skynyrd song.

Riders on the Storm was edited for single release, I believe.

Hey Jude, of course, was 7:11.

15. Are you positive? As I said earlier, I thought it was physically impossible to get much more than 8 minutes or so on a 7" at this speed. At 33.3 rpm, I think you can get up to 14-15 minutes if you don't care about sound quality.

16. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Fixed!

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Prior to the live "Incident on 57th Street" (which I have, B.T.W. - and it is indeed 10:03), the longest-duration side on a 7" 45 that I knew of was "For Madmen Only" by Steppenwolf, which clocked in at 8:46 (the flip of "Ride With Me," Dunhill single #D-4283).

18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i didn't realize you could fit ten minutes of music on a 7".

19. videoman

Sounds like 10:03 is the winner so far!

20. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Okay, so what is the longest A-side? Longest A-side hit song?

21. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Well, except for that 10:10 7" version of Child in time. I'll see if I can make a scan of that one tonight. I'm not sure if the (Purple) label indicates the playing time, but it is the full version, which IIRC runs for ten mins. and ten secs.

22. videoman

So far, seems to be MacArthur Park at 7:29.

23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

No, I still think it's November rain at 8:49.

24. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i used to have a 45 of mahavishnu orchestra's sister andrea.it was a live version.one side was unedited at someting like 13 minutes and the other side was an edited version of about 6 minutes.like a station playing mahavishnu needs an edited version,right?

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Longest 45 I've eve seen was Camel's 'Lunar Sea' which ran for about 10:45 (?). Can't remember if it was the a-side or the b-side.

Fripp's 'Marriagemuzik' beats it at 11:45, but that plays at 33, which is kind of a cheat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.