Goodwill Hunting...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, May 5, 2022.

1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had to drop off some stuff at the Goodwill store so I thought I would check out the albums for sale there
    Let's just say I didn't know Perry Como had so many albums! o_O

All easy listening stuff, Como, Jerry Vale, etc. not much else oh well

2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I hunt at Goodwill for CDs often. You have to expect 98% of it will be of no interest...but you will find gold.

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It's my go to for Mantovani.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The days of finding great vinyl at Goodwill or Value Village are long gone, my friends. But back in the 70s and into the 80s there were bargains to be found.

It's happening now with CDs which are being dumped by their owners at an amazing rate. First it was very common titles. Then more select ones. It won't be long before we see treasured box sets too.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Don't forget Al Hirt and Andy Williams.

john lennonist, Lynivevoli and mpayan like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

My local Goodwill’s selection has taken a nosedive. Instead, I watch for estate sales. I’ve a much better chance of striking gold. And, I usually do. Last sale I went to, they had 15 different TimeLife 2 record sets, from the 80’s…those blue boxes with the caricature artwork. $3.00 each, and the day I was there, it was 20% off. So, I got 15 boxes/30 records for $36 dollars. 11 of those boxes were opened, and the rest were sealed. The opened sets look and sound virtually unplayed. That’s hitting the mother lode ;)

Jarleboy, MGM and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  7. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

...and you just cannot go wrong with hopelessly trashed copies of The Mormon Tabernacle Choir for $3 apiece!

astro70, JasonA, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've gotten more into classical LPs lately and at Goodwill you can find some good ones, and unlike rock LPs, if you don't buy something right away it will probably still be there weeks later.

Other than that I have more luck with CDs at the thrifts lately, as a lot of people seem to be dumping good collections in order to go streaming only.

9. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

I beg to differ. I picked up a dozen records at Value Village about a year ago, all modern vinyl like Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, etc. It's rare, but it does happen. I've found some great things in the bargain bin over the years.

10. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

Some day all these titles we scoff at in the thrift store bins will be super rare, eventually they go to the dump never to be played again.

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i scored a near mint lp of cowboy junkies' "trinity sessions" at goodwill 2 weeks ago for 3.99.

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Arturo Delmoni-Songs My Mother Taught Me, 1986 MFSL
    Stevie Nicks-Enchanted, 1998 3 Disc Book Set HDCD
    Pet Shop Boys-Home And Dry, 2002 US Promo Cd Single
    That's it from my local GW over the years.

Dave S, jfeldt and blaken123 like this.
  13. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

Goodwill has a national clearinghouse website for their vinyl. Anything decent goes there and never hits the store floor. You will be shocked by the prices they get.
    https://shopgoodwill.com

john lennonist likes this.
  14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

If you are not there when they put them out, even Zeke the in-door flea guy will buy the VG REO's and Styx. It is over.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You're way too late to find good vinyl at a Goodwill store. At this point every flipper on Earth is aware that vinyl has value and they're all going through the vinyl sections. You can find good deals on CDs if you want to be a contrarian, or you just want the music.

kings81, Scroller and c-eling like this.
  16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I have found no worthwhile vinyl or CDs in a Goodwill or thrift store lately. Nothing. My thrift store music shopping habit has pretty much ended.

kings81 and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some CDs still appeal to me if I want the artwork and credits. For LPs, yes, to get something great you pretty much have to hit the stores every day or hope to get lucky and be there right when they've put out a new batch.

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Good movie. Established the careers of Damon and Affleck.

Jack Cerro, Dave S, jfeldt and 3 others like this.
  19. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Back over 20 years ago I used to pick up some records of random preachers, just to sample stuff for my own mixes I was making back then. There would be a lot of random records that were good for getting some odd vocal samples from back then.

fndrblndr likes this.
  20. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Yeah, I expected this to be a discussion of Elliott Smith, but it ain't.

Jarleboy, soarer29 and MGM like this.
  21. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

When I drop by I'm always hoping to score some vintage high end audio equipment...Just a heads up,there's always a good supply of VCR's, table clocks, 19" analog tv's ...you might even luck out and snag a home theater systems under 20 bucks.:whistle::righton:

Middle Age Riot likes this.
  22. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Found a number of CDs at the Goodwill near where I used to live; the one in my new location doesn't have much to speak of, music-wise, largely because the used CD market is centered more around record stores. Can't say I'm complaining though, because those stores have pretty good collections to buy from. :D

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Our local goodwill doesn't even carry vinyl or CDs anymore

24. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

My girlfriend has mono copies of Bringing it all Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited that she got at Goodwill a number of years back. We don't usually find much at thrift stores, and if we do it's not usually in great condition. Flea markets have good stuff sometimes though, as well as lots of Englebert Humperdinck and other undesirables.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I once went music shopping around Atlanta, up and down the thrift and pawn shops on 400 [sic?]. I was, er, impressed by the quantity of privately pressed LPs from the '60s and/or '70s featuring sidelong screeds from staunch segregationists. The black-and-white cover photos inevitably included the speaker in front of a Confederate flag with a supporting cast behind him. These were as numerous as albums from Barbara Streisand, Montovani and the First Family. Creepy.