Goodwill Hunting...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, May 5, 2022.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great movie...crummy store. the CD Sharks arrive early with Amazon phone adapter in hand scanning every single CD in the Will and LP scavengers raid the vinyl like zombies sucking flesh...the fun is gone.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’ve mentioned this in other threads here but...a few weeks ago I found around 5 or 6 MFSL gold CDs at the local Goodwill. Also mixed in the CD section were a bunch of WG and Japanese Target CDs as well. I’m thinking that they all came from the same person’s collection.
    A few weeks before that were the first four Dire Straits LPs in excellent condition. Last week at another Goodwill, I found around ten import 12” singles from the early to mid-80’s: The Clash, B.A.D, Gang of Four, New Order, etc.
    Usually, all the good stuff goes to the central office for them to put online, but every now and then...
    the stores just put the good albums and CDs out.

3. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Only a tiny portion end up there. But yea it is astonishing how much people will pay for ungraded lps.

Quakerism likes this.
  4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

My last true "haul" at a Goodwill was mere days before the lockdowns in 2020 and of course, nothing has been the same since. I haven't bought more than 3 LPs in a single purchase since then. Entire collections just don't show up anymore. Even the CD selection sucks really, and for $3 a pop you think more stuff would hang around.

Value Village and the independents are another story, but everyone is jacking up their prices for literal junk and it won't end well.

5. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

my experience as well. Post pandemic many fewer records are being put out = fewer scores

6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

OMG you are right! And who the hey is Al Hirt? Must have been 7 different albums there from him

DrJ and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

GW LP finds ended for me in November of 2019. Honestly, I remember that quite vividly.

Before Nov 2019 ... it was a 'Cornucopia Bonanza' for outstanding titled, M- actual vinyl, LPs.

Found 300+ between Jan to Nov. Then, it just ended.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  8. classicrockguy

Yeah I saw that stuff pretty cool :cool:
    Do they let you plug stuff in and try or is it just buy and hope for the best?

Hanglow and DrJ like this.
  9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Al Hirt - Wikipedia

The one I see all the time at thrift stores is Honey in the Horn - it’s like everyone over 25 years of age in 1963 must have owned that LP or something!

10. classicrockguy

i had a feeling there was at least some "selection" going on there, since almost every vinyl lp was some kind of crooner from the 50s and 60s :rant:

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  11. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

Here in Boulder, CO, the best scores have been CDs by friends of mine, from local to national artists, who haven't managed to keep them in print. I have scored some nice classical, including a Philips Corelli box set in very nice condition.

12. milo bloom

milo bloom Well-Known Member

There are usually power strips at the back so you can see if they turn on. And you can grab CDs from the shelf to see if they boot up.

I’ve found some decent CDs at Goodwill over the years, DVDs too.

Last time I was in Goodwill, I noticed a couple investigating a table lamp really, really closely. I stood and watched them a moment from the side and realized somebody else was watching them very closely too. The lampshade had images of all the Beatles albums artworks on it and the other watcher and I stayed there until the first couple decided they actually wanted it and put it in their cart. The other person and I moved on.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im just trying to understand how those got trashed. I mean do the LDS folk get all crazy late at night and jam out in a purple haze to Handels Messiah?

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i did, 2 days ago at goodwill. a derek and dominoes MFSL for 99 cents. i cleaned it up nicely and would grade it at fair to good on looks and excellent on sound.

15. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

It's always amazing to note how many interesting CDs you see there that are just jewel case and no disc. Also, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs make a regular appearance. Blu-Ray/DVD combos missing the Blu-Ray version of the movie.
    Mixtape-type CDs from the 1990s. It's a junk yard, but sometimes you do find something worthwhile, and they sell them for pennies.

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well, those Church grannies...
    If a paddle wasn't handy I'm sure Sister Kathy could find alternatives :agree:

john lennonist and mpayan like this.
  17. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I'm British - I thought you meant the film!

Man at C&A and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  18. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I have both a Salvation Army and a Goodwill in my local area and I don't usually ever find any valuable or desirable vinyl at either. I found a Frank Sinatra I ended up selling on Ebay for like $50 recently. They do occasionally have some good CDs, though. I found the Beach Boys Pet Sounds anniversary box set in mint condition for $5 recently, that was nice.

I mostly go for books, which at 49 cents are a bigger bargain.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I often find myself wishing I liked 90s alternative rock CDs more when I go to those stores. They usually have lots of those.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Mt two local Goodwills sell CDs for $1 and I always find a small pile of gems. A few weeks ago someone dumped several hundred Doo-Wop CDs.

YoGarrett and jonathan like this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

"Too popular. Move that crap out of her and make room for more used VHS."

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

ha. not true at all (but don't tell my local goodwill).

23. furmanu

furmanu Forum Resident

I’ve been to 3 or 4 Goodwills around where I live (upstate New York) and I have barely seen a selection of used CD’s or Vinyl at any of them, let alone anything that was in good condition or a title I wanted to buy.

kings81 and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  24. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

25. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I dunno, even for CDs lately...there's a popular book store here in downtown Los Angeles that used to have tons of CDs for $1. The titles made no difference. ALL CDs were $1. Found lots of good Jazz, Metal, Classical, Experimental, etc. Now, however, the selection is waaaayy down and it's as if the clerks are looking up the titles on Amazon or something. Used Classical discs are priced from $8-$12, same with the Rock stuff. Are people actually paying 10 bucks for a used Beethoven CD??? o_O

kings81 and Warand Pain like this.