Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Some great historical stuff from Cornette this week...

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  2. WarEagleRK

This one gives some great stories on ring malfunctions and how rings are set up.

alpentalic and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

"Young Rock" was good this week covering his first dark match against Steve Lombardi. They really do a good job casting the wrestlers. It was funny hearing "Ringmaster" Steve Austin say "I think I'm about to get fired."

WarEagleRK likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

Jeff Hardy since joining AEW has crushed people with the Swanton. He's like Savage late in his career with the elbow where he isn't breaking his fall with his hips or backside.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

imo jeff was always sloppy

6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Can you unpack this a little for me? Curious what you mean.

I did notice that Savage wasn't as lightning quick after he bulked up when he and Hogan were the Mega Powers, but he was still pretty quick.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if you watch savage do the elbow drop until the later 90's he usually attempts to hit the mat first with his hip or backside a split second before the elbow hit someone . after i think like 1995 he just jumped and whatever happened happened even if that means the first thing that hit was the elbow straight in your chest area full force

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  8. WarEagleRK

Before Savage had hip and knee problems he would land hip first to break his fall on the elbow drop and protect his opponents. When he came back with 30 pounds of extra muscle at the end of his WCW run he was injuring people by landing on the opponents bodies first to save hitting his hip first.

9. WarEagleRK

10. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Backlund was dealt a bad-hand in the last year of his championship run. That Iron Sheik story , about switching the Persian Clubs (for Backlund) is a classic

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. WarEagleRK

Before my time, but when I watched the old tapes to me Backlund crying over the belt being destroyed in 1982 was the start of his downfall. How could anyone take him seriously after that?

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

IMO, Backlund had no charisma outside of the ring, and continued to have no charisma until his later resurrection as a crazed heel. He made it easy for a high school kid like me, raised on WWWF, to root for the heels.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. brucewayneofgotham

He still filled the arena's , nearly as well as Bruno. To be fair , Superstar did too. Senior hated Hogan , and I think if he remained in charge after '82, Backlund would have had a run of 5 more years. Maybe Tito Santana would have been next in line.

14. brucewayneofgotham

I was there that night , he was well loved by the ticket buyers.
    He was over, because the people that bought tickets in that era , were big into Boxing , and realism
    The old audience , for the most part , moved on when Junior took over.
    When Sr. was running the WWF , the audience was the same as the Boxing audience. More adults , and even though everyone knew , the results were pre-determined , they still cared about the outcomes.
    I was a HS/College kid, and truthfully , in the very early 80s , there were not many kids at the live events.
    WWF was every 3 weeks. Boxing was every 3 weeks. And then the other week was dark (once Roller Derby collapsed-mid 70s )
    Always the same people in the exact same seats , be it WWF or Boxing (for a decade plus).
    Also College Wrestling was hugely popular with this audience.

Though Jr brought a whole new audience to the WWF , it was as if the WWF started with Hogan as Champion. And the old audience just concentrated on Boxing and College Wrestling and left the WWF behind

905 likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

They also stacked the cards in the Backlund era with really good undercards that they didn't have to do in the Bruno, Pedro and Graham eras.

Too bad Vince Sr. already had Backlund and the date he was to win the title picked out when he gave Graham the title because Graham had a run as babyface champion in him that could have been huge.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have been playing some old Backlund interviews last week. He said he was told at Survivor Series 94 he would hold the title for a year and then lose it back to Bret. Then, there was panic when Savage quit and they felt they had to go immediately to Diesel. Backlund was such a pro he crawled from the ring to the locker room after the Diesel powerbomb at MSG to put him over. Even Kevin Nash thought that was above and beyond.

I watched Survivor Series 94 live and thought the way they devised it with Owen pleading to Stu and Helen to throw in the towel was a masterpiece. I was pissed off to no end when the next Monday Night Raw started the kliq era and Backlund was already forgotten.

905, WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My memory, which could be faulty after 40+ years, is that Backlund gave essentially the same low key, humble, dull interview about most every challenger he had for the belt during his first title run. I also remember other performers routinely getting bigger pops than BB got - Ivan Putski being one such case.

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

I don't buy Backlund's story there. They had been building Diesel for that role since the Royal Rumble and wanted him as the face of the New Generation. Backlund had to play the role of the Iron Sheik and transition the belt from one face to another.

I agree that the way to get the belt off Bret was a good plan, but having him in the cross face chicken wing for 10+ minutes while Davey had to sell being KO'd that whole time was far too long.

905 and RayS like this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Agree with most of what you said. Davey Boy did look stupid being knocked out for so long.

I don't know if Backlund was promised the title for a year but they definitely had something with him as a heel that they could have developed that should have lasted for more than three days.

WarEagleRK, Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Anyone ever call the old 1-900 WWF Hotline?

I called once when they claimed they were bringing back Diesel and Razor Ramon but it turned out to be the fake ones. JR gave the report and he coughed and repeated himself and talked extra slow trying to drag out the per minute charges. And he never gave any real information at all.

Luckily, I never got a bill for the call.

905, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

I called the WCW hotline once, still remember the 1-900-909-9900 number from the commercials. The one time I called was after the Hogan vs Flair Halloween Havoc match because I didn't want Flair to lose and I couldn't wait until the next Saturday to find out who won.

MikeInFla, Matthew Tate and tonyc like this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sheiky's exercise clubs. I thought Backlund was an idiot. I had just seen him pull the same shtick on Paul Orndorff in Georgia.

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  23. WarEagleRK

The number of territories who recycled angles like that. WCW brought it back with Sting and the Iron Sheik in 1989 as well.

The angle with the babyface being late to a big match and said they had a flat tire, only to have a heel say "it's not my fault you couldn't make it with 4 flat tires" and the face say "I never said FOUR" leading to a brawl happened every couple of years in many territories.

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sheiky pulled the club bit on Orndorff in Georgia Championship Wrestling then pulled the same gimmick within weeks in WWF. I guess Bobby didn't have cable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. WarEagleRK

Bryan & Vinny review the Bret vs Perfect King Of The Ring match...