Stylus cleaning thread*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wpjs, May 6, 2022.

1. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a Hudson ultrasonic cleaner.
    I must admit I am a little nervous about using it. (I hope the vibrations don’t mess up the azimuth setting)
    That said;
    How often is recommended to clean stylus?

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I clean mine daily with either an Onzow or Clean-Cote II non alcoholic lens cleaner on a stylus brush and sometimes both,

What cart are you using? Some manufactures say to stay away from ultrasonic cleaners,,

3. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I’m about to get a stylus cleaner too, thinking I’ll use it after every listen, but I think I’m just going to get an onzow Zerodust

4. KoopaChaloopa

KoopaChaloopa Forum Resident

I clean mine about two to three times a month. However I always clean every record I play before playing one.

EdogawaRampo, condorsat and felizecat like this.
  5. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I uh never clean mine… At least not with like liquid solution, just a brush if there’s dust or something on it. Always just made sure my records I play are super clean.

bluesky, DK Pete, Shak Cohen and 11 others like this.
  6. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Constantly, find it’s the biggest influence on clean playback many times. Usually dry brush at least every LP, wet brush every few. More wet brushing than some will do but I mostly use the fluids made by my cart manufacturer (AT). No issues with my last two styli which both lasted their allotted time, but YMMV based on stylus mourning. Used to Onzow side and wet brush weekly but I’ve ditched my Onzow after it aged and got far too tacky. I am curious about the more adorable US cleaners out right now, let me know your thoughts on the Hudson product!

LivingForever likes this.
  7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Every time I put the stylus down, I clean it. Always have done it that way. I use either a dry brush or Zerodust.

Andrew, AndyCC72 and Grootna like this.
  8. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Have the Hudson UV and use it once a month. It works great. Tried to get a second for my summer place and they are now unavailable. Wonder why.

Swann36 likes this.
  9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I manually brush mine before playing each side of an album. I see little need for ultrasonic cleaners.

BrentB, Kyhl, Mark Shred and 6 others like this.
  10. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Probably every other record. Brush and/or magic eraser.

bru87tr, Kyhl, Marcev and 4 others like this.
  11. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

Blu-tack is your friend. Quick dip for every record. Recommended by Soundsmith…. Magic Eraser once a week or so.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I clean before each play, if it needs it or not. I still use my old method with a stylus cleaning brush, usually dry. The 45 degree/ 45 degree, criss-cross method always worked well for me. If the records are clean, I have found it's never necessary to use any liquid cleaning solution, ie: isopropyl or eye leans cleaning fluid.. but have on occasion used 70% isopropyl. But this was only after a test play of a used record, that I thought was clean but wasn't.

Anyone who buys used records locally or at a record show, will run across a record that appears pristine, but was previously cleaned with a discwasher system (from the 70's) or similar. The vintage cleaning systems with cleaning fluid, leave a small amount of sticky residue. All of that ends up on your stylus.

If a stylus collects a lot of fuzzy stuff, or solid crud, that record is not clean... always a good indication on how clean your records are. The stylus always tells the truth. The stylus should remain clean after play, with a clean record. But then there's everything between the extremes.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    Kyhl and McLover like this.
  13. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

Took the words off my keyboard:) If it’s good enough for Peter Lederman it’s good enough for me.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am of the opinion, clean stylus every playing session, assuming clean records. Or every 6-8 sides. Whichever comes first, or if tracking/sonic issues noted. Good, sensible practice. Cleaner your records are, styli are, better and more careful the setup, longer the above last you, the better sound reproduction you get. I was taught this at 9 years of age, hasn't failed me yet some 48 years later on. Costs less, too.

15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

LAST liquid stylus cleaner on one of their stylus brushes at the beginning of every record.

Mr. Dean and The FRiNgE like this.
  16. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Likely overkill here but every side. Several methods alternating but no Onzow any more

Slimpickens and lsipes1965 like this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Magic Eraser every few records. That might be every 2 or every 5 or...whenever I think about it (I am ocd-less ;)).

bru87tr, cnolanh and Slimpickens like this.
  18. Jari S.

Jari S. Forum Resident

Same here using a stylus brush and AT617a.

19. I own a few modest cartridges, & I use the Hudson cleaner every few LP's with no harm to the Stylus. :thumbsup:

20. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Before every side.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I keep my records pretty clean. I use a VPI wet vac on older or dirty records

New records can be quite dirty, but I only tend to use the RCM if there is a problem.
    I always dry brush every LP before playing each side.

For the stylus, I give a light touch with a Magic Eraser every few albums.

I only wet clean the stylus maybe once a year or if there is any build up that the Magic Eraser can't remove.

bru87tr and Slimpickens like this.
  22. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

I clean mine with a stylus brush after each side. It is an expensive piece of kit and this method Guarantees optimum performance. I inspect it regularly with a microscope and have a wet cleaner on standby, but find that I rarely ever have to use it. It you have decent kit, then this method is well worthwhile. Obviously I wet clean my vinyl with a RCM and brush clean before each play.

The FRiNgE and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Every clean LP with a brush, every side with a non cleaned record.

Once in a while using magic erasor or alcohol based fluid.

24. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I’ve been using Rodico cleaning putty for the last 23 years about every three or 4 sides. I cut a piece off and place it on the end of a toothpick then flatten in between a stack of records. A slab of it will last years. I use a new piece every year or so. Just place it on the platter and lower the stylus on it for a few seconds. Keep it in a zip lock bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Bergeon-Professional-Cleaning-Rodico/dp/B008YMGYBU

[​IMG]

25. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I use a Magic Eraser at least each day of play.

bru87tr and cnolanh like this.