Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Ezrin got Wagner on Kiss’ Destroyer too, ofcourse …

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Agree it’s well executed - it’s extremely well delivered. My complaint was that the gag is beyond lame (does it really make you laugh after more than even one play? Really?) and the song is built around the gag, plus that use of any novelty song on a rock record jars for me. Just my view.

FWIW I don’t like the “jingle” bits on the The Who Sell Out either, but those are bits rather than whole songs.

That said, I’m glad you and others love it - not saying you’re wrong, just explaining why I don’t like it.

vinyl diehard, Tim S and Gus Tomato like this.
  3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

When I was a young teen and right from the start of Aerosmith, they became one of my favorite bands of my youth. Even up till today I'll buy all their records and reissues of anything they put out. When I was a young teen 14-15 I didn't know anything about the Blues really, I loved this hard rock though. It took me much time to understand that many of their songs where revamped covers of old blues in the Aerosmith way. In fact most my favorite rock music and artist of my teens had a very heavy grounding in the blues as I found out much later in life.

Aerosmith had a very special way of funking up and electrifing the blues to a high energy I could never resist. They can move my soul with a deep tribal feeling that emotions and words really don't convey clearly. It's just a sweet emotion no one else can do for me.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

How many people wish they would have included the outtake cover of Helter Skelter I posted earlier in the thread on Toys In The Attic instead of Big Ten Inch Record?

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Toys In The Attic
    Toys- Their second best title track. Cool lyrics on this one and the album cover matches up perfectly with it. Always sounded great live too.
    Uncle Salty- Never was a fan of this track and the creepy underage girl scenario. This is the dud track on the album.
    Adam's Apple- Tyler wanted to initially call the album "Love At First Bite". Another track that is good live.
    Walk This Way- A classic rock staple and rightfully so. I assume most fans are tired of what is considered one of their most famous songs/anthems but I think it deserves all the accolades. I would rather hear this than say Rock And Roll All Nite by Kiss any day.
    Big 10- Love this track and the fact that it sounds way different than the rest of the album. Always fun when they do it live too.
    Sweet Emotion- This is a Top 5 Aerosmith track for me. Never grow tired of it and like Walk This Way it deserves all the kudos on how fantastic it is. It's a quintessential Aerosmith track.
    No More- I'm glad the band has dusted this song off and has played it more often in their latter years. Very underrated track and a great "life on the road" song.
    Round And Round- This song's feel and sound previews what Rocks would sound like. Dark and spooky.
    You See Me Crying- Another great ballad. The orchestration is fantastic as well as Tyler's vocal performance.

9/10

Crungy, The MEZ, Doomster and 2 others like this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Ezrin did the same thing on KISS Destroyer on one song. That’s just the way he worked.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Anybody else prefer the Aero/Run DMC version of ‘Walk This Way’? It’s probably cos I heard it first. Also I much prefer how Tyler sings the choruses in the 80’s version.

That song, that video, and Aerosmith are reborn.

9. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Me 1,000% … it’s a great cover. Do I prefer Motley Crue’s? Maybe, just, dunno. But, god, it would work so much better on the album than “Big Ten Inch”

John Fell likes this.
  10. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

The original is definitive for me - and funnily, I prefer it’s slightly less screamed choruses - but it’s close. I’m a big Run DMC fan, and their cover is terrific and a deserved hit.

Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Just catching up.

Get Your Wings. The band definitely took a step forward with this record. First Aerosmith album I bought and it’s still one of my favorites. Love all the songs except Woman of the World and Pandora’s Box which are still good. 8.5/10

Toys In The Attic. Weird record for me as it was the last of the 70s records I bought on vinyl (see below). I like almost all of the songs except Big Ten Inch Record which is a sort of a gimmick song for me and I probably don’t need to ever hear Walk This Way again. Having said that I still love Sweet Emotion which may be their crowning achievement. No More No More and Round and Round are favorites too. Good album but the next one for me is the one. 8/10. For some reason this is the only album I ever bought new on 8 track tape. I had to play it on my Dad’s system which is one reason I didn’t play it much growing up.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting the links, much appreciated. It is my honest view that if a (Super) Deluxe Edition of Aerosmith's debut album is ever issued, the 4 songs re-recorded for GW need to be included as bonus tracks.

Ted

Matthew Tate and EgaBog like this.
  13. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting it. Interesting, but I too consider the original version to be superior. I think the Quad. version of the album could be a great addition to a GYW (Super) Deluxe Edition if one is ever issued.

Ted

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I don’t know - I’d speculate that they’re a young band kind of following the producer’s lead and Ezrin is also a dominating figure.

Plus noting my earlier comment on the paucity (three) of Perry songwriting credits on the first two albums, it seems like the band was very much led and dominated by Tyler - so if both he and the producer were good with session men playing guitar instead of band members, then maybe Perry and Whitford didn’t have much leverage or confidence to challenge it.

I don’t know or anyone’s seen retrospective comment from either.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

This makes sense.

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

I get whatever info I can find from "credits" and such. Also, there are some stylistic differences between the two I can sometimes identify. HOWEVER, I have been waiting for someone to correct me on some of the leads as to who did them since it is difficult to tell. I am sure I will get some of them wrong.

Matthew Tate and Murph like this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think Tyler's vocals suit the song more in the Run DMC version

18. Rose River Bear

I would say that the lyrics and vocals are highlighted more in the Run DMC version. The lyrics and vocals have to contend with the accompaniment from the band in the Aerosmith version. I know that is an oxymoron.
    I guess in that sense they do work better with the Run DMC version.

19. Rose River Bear

I like the version of HS but, I like Big Ten Inch Record on the album because it breaks up some of the darkness of the rest of the album. Overall, I think Toys is a dark and somber album lyrically.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think that's an important point.
    It isn't the strongest track on the album, but it gives the album balance and variety.
    I'm not sure why folks are perturbed about it being a lighthearted double entendre... it's rock and roll, not prog

tages, Crungy, boyfromnowhere and 6 others like this.
  21. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

You know, I’m not 100 percent sold Helter Skelter was recorded in 1975. Pandora’s Box has several wrong dates and the band played Helter Skelter live a few times in 1978, so it may have appeared in the set list because they just had recorded it.

22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

OK let's not overstate this situation. ONE song only not the whole album.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    mark winstanley likes this.
  23. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

On a scale of 1-5, Toys is a 10, IMO...

tages, Gus Tomato and Mark7 like this.
  24. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

It also says it was recorded at Great Northern Recording Studios, wasn't Toys done at the Record Plant?
    It also appears much later in the set then the other Toys tracks...
    So, I think you're on to something here...

tages, Rockin' Robby and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed . it may have been they did it at the same time as "come together" for the sgt peppers movie

Mark7 likes this.