Jethro Tull The Broadsword and the Beast SW remix and sessions coming in 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 18, 2021.

1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Did Saga open for them in Canada as well? It was perfectly timed in that Saga's "In Transit" live album had come out earlier in 1982, so when I saw them open at Nassau Coliseum I had a good idea of what I was going to see. Very enjoyable, except for Michael Sadler's silly/ill advised drug use references during his between song patter. A guy sitting next to me had his young son with him and he just looked at me and rolled his eyes.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I have no idea why, because it's rare? Certainly not to show off or win any argument.

1993. Procol Harum opened. It was at the Woodlands in Houston. I am not mistaken because it was the last thing I would expect them to play. Most of the show was from the first two albums and you're was an extended version of Thick As A Brick, not a 5 minute version like on the radio. I've told this story many times over the years and never saw them under that name again because I couldn't see how that setlist could be topped. I did see Anderson do the Thick As A Brick tour in 2012 tho.

But you'll have to ask yourself why you think I'm mistaken. Usually when someone says that they are implying fabrication. I have no reason to do that. But there is no way I would mistake those songs for anything else. It was a highlight of the box for me.

A couple sitting behind me saw me clapping and mouthing the lyrics and even asked me what it was and I told them excitedly about it. Anderson briefly told the crowd where it was from then moved on.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

No memory of Saga.

[​IMG]
    Rare Jethro Tull 9/23/82 Toronto Ontario Maple Leaf Gardens Concert Full Ticket! | eBay

Sean likes this.
  4. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

They didn't play any Chateau stuff there.
    What they did on that tour was playing an instrumental piece based on the Magus Prede part that ended with Seal Driver, called "A Passion Jig"

JulesRules likes this.
  5. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Summer of 1993. I only remember the three tracks from the 20 Year box. This was also around the time Nightcap came out.

I almost kept this story to myself but said, "heck with it. Maybe someone else here witnessed that tour and saw it as well." If no one believes me, fine. But I remember it well. No one else around me knew what was going on, and the fact that I didn't fit the profile of the average Tull fan seemed to puzzle others around me even more.

6. folkfreak

BTW, on the (1988) box set was flute as well. They were the same mixes that later were used for nightcap.

Galeans likes this.
  7. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

That's what I was saying as well, it's the only version I knew at the time.

I checked the setlist and no Chateau songs listed. I still stand by what I said. It may have been a rarity in that tour but I wouldn't stop talking about it to friends at the time.

Now I know how some folks feel when they swear they heard something on a tour but the internet says differently. I'd be willing to concede since it was almost 30 years ago, but it's so clear and I couldn't believe my ears at the time. Oh well...

8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Setlist posted from this show. I like the Woodland pavilion, that’s my home base venue from high school years, but I did not attend this particular show.

Jethro Tull Setlist at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands

9. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I know, I checked. I'm sure that was the setlist from the tour. Like I said, is it impossible they would do something different even just once or twice?

It was right after my 22nd birthday. Woodlands was great. 1991-Yes. 1992-ELP. 1993-Tull. Great place for prog.

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I feel like the setlist db tends to be more accurate than my sketchy memory but its totally possible that someone just entered the canned tour setlist and moved on.

11. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

That's what I think. I remember singing along and people around staring at me then asking what it was. I didn't know much Tull outside the box set and Aqualung and Thick. So I didn't know Budapest, the tracks that were on Broadsword, A, etc. I had no clue.

The Chateau songs I knew very well because I loved it so much. I'd swear by it under torture that it was performed.

12. folkfreak

Maybe, but Tull normally wasn't that kind of group.
    Every concert was completely laid out down to the exact same stage banter evening after evening. I have ca 350 Tull concerts and it seems quite unlikely to me.

13. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

I know it's frustrating to face nothing but skepticism when posting fond old memories (I've been there), but you have to understand why people consider it so unlikely that Ian decided to resurrect Chateau tracks in the middle of a tour, for one show, that is remembered by nobody else and not documented anywhere else. In all my years of Tull obsession I've never heard of Chateau tracks being performed on that tour, or any tour post-1973 for that matter. Maybe I'm wrong, I wasn't there! It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Ian thought 'Tonight, Houston gets the rarity of all rarities'... but that sure seems odd, you must admit. I mean, when would they have even rehearsed them? Soundcheck? Again, not wanting to come across as the know-it-all here, just offering an honest appraisal. I know all too well about the mind playing tricks, especially about ancient concerts I attended. :)

Galeans and StingRay5 like this.
  14. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Believe me, I thought about it and I was ready for the attacks. I'll tell you another reason why it sticks out in my memory.

I didn't want to tell this story because it makes some people uncomfortable but, this is why I know I'm not mistaken. I've told this story many times over the years:

The people around me were perplexed around me because I was a 22 year old black kid at a Tull concert who was singing stuff they didn't recognize on the radio. One guy actually asked me what I actually got out of this music; he questioned my love of the band. I asked him how that was any different for British musicians in the 60s to be fascinated by American blues. It annoyed me at the time, and as I said I am not confusing it with anything else because Chateau was such a favorite of mine and no one sitting around me on the lawn knew what it was. The couple behind me was even giving me a weird stare like they just couldn't believe what I was saying.

Something like this is going to stay with you, trust me. I didn't know all of the setlist but I knew Chateau. I'd be the first to admit I might be wrong. It's like saying you heard something from the More Soundtrack on Pink Floyd's 1994 tour. I'd doubt that seriously too. But I don't know what else to say and I don't have a bootleg. But that experience stayed with me because I'd never been questioned before at a show. Only other time that happened was King Crimson and it almost spoiled such amazing shows.

Question why I love a band while I'm trying to enjoy a concert, irritating to say the least. Question my memory of a 30 year old show setlist, understandable!:)

15. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

That's all fair enough (except the term 'attacks', which might be a bit strong).

Galeans likes this.
  16. tootull

Jethro Tull live audio 1982-09-23 Toronto

Starwanderer and folkfreak like this.
  17. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Whilst I think it unlikely I wouldn't entirely rule out the playing of Chateau songs in 1993. It is plausible as it was around the time Nightcap had been put together. The usually definitive Tull Ministry of Information site has no setlist for the Woodlands show so in theory they could have played anything. It was also the first date of the tour. It is not uncommon for Tull to play a song on the first date(s) of a tour and drop it if it wasn't working. They did not play it on any dates later in the tour for which there is information.

jordevi and tedhead like this.
  18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Sorry to those who see Chateau talk as derailing the thread.

As for the Broadsword boxset: Take my money! The non album tracks I actually liked more than the album tracks. If those are in 5.1, I'm going to be ecstatic!

Even happier if any US footage is included. Anderson may think the pirate ship was very Spinal Tap but I love theatrical concerts.

Galeans and tootull like this.
  19. tootull

You're good. Bonus tracks in 5.1 are demanded.

we've got too many too :D

Bonddm and tedhead like this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I believe you, FWIW. :)

highway and tedhead like this.
  21. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Good answer! Yeah, it's annoying when people (usually white) think people of other races/ethnicities shouldn't be into the same music they are. On the flip side, I've been at concerts by black artists where I was one white guy in a sea of black faces, but I don't remember anyone ever giving me trouble about it, or even a funny look. One might be inclined to suspect that, in general, black people hate white people a lot less than the other way around, despite everything.

The "different music for different races" attitude is probably partly due to the influence of the record companies and radio programmers, who long ago tried to segregate music into "stuff for white people" and "stuff for black people", with jazz as the one area where the two were allowed to meet. The barrier was weakened a bit in the '80s thanks to Michael Jackson and Prince (and CBS exec Walter Yetnikoff, who threatened to pull all CBS videos from MTV unless they started playing Jackson's videos), but by the mid '90s it seemed to have strengthened again.

JulesRules likes this.
  22. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

Off the top of my head:
    Dark Ages and Dangerous Veils in 2020 (for, I think, 3 shows)
    Bungle in the jungle in 2010
    P*ssy willow in 2008
    Jack-A-Lynn in 2007 (also Salamander, I think)
    To cry you a song in 1999
    Clasp in 1999
    P*ssy willow, again, in 1997
    Nothing to say in 1996

And there's probably a few more over the years.

Tullhead and folkfreak like this.
  23. folkfreak

Yes but those are all documented.
    1993 was part of the heyday of A new day with lots and lots of concert reviews and fans traveling with the band going to multiple concerts.
    If that really happened it would have been documented. I am not convinced....

jordevi likes this.
  24. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

It seems unlikely but until a bootleg surfaces saying otherwise eyewitness (earwitness?) testimony is all we have to go on. Difficult piece of music to learn just to be dropped straight away but weirder things have happened. Pretty cool but a shame it didn't survive the set if it happened. Would have been the highlight of the show for me.

25. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Fire at Midnight 1977
    A few in 1976 Quizz kid and Rainbow Blues notably.
    Flying Colours 1982
    Nelly the Revenge 1987
    Undressed to Kill 1989

JulesRules and jordevi like this.