Are prices for vintage gear in general rapidly on the rise?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Wally Swift, May 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

Whoa...last time I checked maybe a year ago my Pioneer SX-880 was selling for $300-$350 in clean, working condition. Yesterday I checked again because I really want to downsize from four stereos to one and I saw two recently sold for $650! I put it up for that and it got scooped up in under 90 minutes. It seems that the beloved Sansui 2000X has also gone up in price and there are fewer of them available.

Anyone else noticing this or is this just some isolated examples on my part?

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  2. quickster2

quickster2 Member

Used, new, it does not seem to matter. Everything is going up. Discounts on new also getting scarcer. Some of the "older" stuff is better IMO. Some of the new "stuff" have features that don't excite me or find useful.

Wally Swift likes this.
  3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

I guess I don't think of older used gear as being as effected by inflation. I'm going to be experimenting with my least expensive, most modern receiver and my better components and speakers, none of which have ever been connected to it. If I can comfortably live with the results I'll probably sell the other two vintage receivers.

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I bought a vintage Sony Receiver and vintage Electron Kinetics Amp on the forum here in recent months for what appears to be a little below the price they'd been selling for recently. Both were reduced from their original offering price after they didn't get takers in the first few days. I didn't feel like I was getting taken for a ride or that I was pulling one over on the seller.

Wally Swift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.