Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness - May 6 - 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 22, 2021.

1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Thought it was a mess, to be honest.

rikki nadir, JohnG, mcnpauls and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Saw it last night. My son's first reaction was, 'how was that PG-13?' He also thought that the Illuminati scene was very reminiscent of the opening of Invincible, he's not wrong.

I thought it was predictable in that we have another storyline where Wanda (as Scarlet Witch) acts out in grief again and destroys a lot of people and things. This time however she sees the error of her ways and does the right thing.

Variety agrees with my son...

What Spell Did Marvel Cast on the MPA for ‘Doctor Strange 2’ to Receive a PG-13 Rating?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    GregM and MrJerry1876 like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

First Dr. Strange was a masterpiece in comparison.

rikki nadir likes this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My mind is still too boggled to comment. With a movie this insane, I’m amazed anyone can have any clear-cut views.

I have to see it again.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It’s a mystery to me what you think is in this film that makes it deserving of an R rating. There’s no sex and the deaths are all either bloodless or off camera. Was there gratuitous swearing? Chain smoking? What?

Timeline Man likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Captain Carter was cut in half by her own shield. Blackagar Boltagon blew out his own brain. At least one person was burned alive. Stuff like that.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. alexpop

Captain Carter was odd in that costume, looked like a man’s body.

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

enjoyed the first three quarters. did not enjoy the events or the presentation of the events during the last quarter. the young girl did a nice job, as did Elizabeth Olsen IMO. fun cameos. if you haven't heard yet, it's a good idea to watch the last couple of episodes of WandaVision before seeing this film.

davenav likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think America is played really well in that she's just a regular girl who has no idea what's going on. Also a nice touch that she has two Moms. I wonder if any countries will give Disney crap about it.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Am I the only one who thinks Xochitl Gomez looks a LOT like Scarlett Johansson??? :help:

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Book a thorough eye exam first thing tomorrow morning.

jlocke08 and SRC like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:shrug: Obviously they have different hair colors and complexions, but I saw a lot of similarities in facial features.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The film is doing very well financially (so far):

"Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," the latest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, made an estimated $185 million domestically for its opening this weekend, according to Disney (DIS).

"That number hit the high end of expectations, which had the film making around $170 million to $185 million in North America. It also makes "Multiverse of Madness," which stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the superhero sorcerer, the 11th biggest opening in domestic box office history."

'Doctor Strange' conjures big box office opening for Marvel - CNN

Stormrider77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Well that was delightful. Messy (how many ways can you kill a superhero?) but delightful :D

Sometimes I'm glad I don't know things about movies and I don't have to be disappointed. Bad CGI? Couldn't tell you. Script needed another pass? Not for me. I'm just along for the ride and this was fun! It could have easily gotten out of hand and yet everything was clear and explained well...unless you skipped Marvel Television in which case, your loss, not mine :D

Even then, there were enough crumbs about what happened to be able to follow; Wanda did a bad thing in Westview, conjured up some kids, lost said kids, and sees an opportunity to collect them from the multiverse. If anything, not having seen Wandavision means that you are only once seeing her a) do a bad thing, b) screw up a lot of other people in the process, and c) come to her senses with some help from outside and do the right thing in the end, instead of the twice you'd see that vague plot outline between here and the TV show.

15. BeatleJWOL

Another takeaway: America Chavez now being here in the MCU-verse means another entry in the eventual Young Avengers lineup alongside any Avengers 2.0 that may not be in their teens and 20s.

Original Avengers team vs potential replacement:
    So we could see a Young Avengers lineup consisting of Ironheart, Yelena Belova, Kate Bishop, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Stature, and America Chavez , all possibly led by Sam Wilson's Captain America with assistance from War Machine, Thor, Doctor Strange, and White Vision as more experienced fighters who could help this new breed of heroes along.

16. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

Anyone remember the "What If , Jean Grey Didn't Die ." comic ? The Illuminati scene reminds me a lot of Jean wiping out the X-Men . Glad I saw it , won't be purchasing it . Kind of unhappy with the direction of the Marvel films . I'm kind of sick of the superhero snuff films.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Not a mess I reckon, but perhaps overly busy.

rikki nadir likes this.
  18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Really enjoyed the big swings they took and the Sam Raimi-ness of it all.
    No idea about certain aspects of what's going on, but to her credit, she is pretty knowledgeable about multiversal food options and traffic safety. :laugh:

wayneklein and Jeff Kent like this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

Um? Such as?

20. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

This one , X-men Last Stand . Not really "feel good" superhero movies .

21. BeatleJWOL

I mean, fair, but that movie was 16 years ago. I was confused by your "so sick of" comment since there's been basically two, and I'm not sure if Endgame counts. :D

22. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I've feel the same, and the new Thor does look promising, though trailers are tough to judge overall of any film.
    I just don't get it, so many good ones starting at Iron Man, and I even like some of the older pre I.M. movies, some of the early X-Men were good even the F.F.'s were better than what they been putting on the screen. And then when you look at how good Spider-Man NWH turned out story and movement of the film (this is Sony's) it makes me (at the least) wonder what are they (Disney) trying to put on screen, FX, fancy CGI, pure busy action?
    Whatever it is it hasn't been working in my opinion. I am a bigger fan of story and acting than super action and effects busy films across all movies.

Cheers!

MrJerry1876 and alexpop like this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I grew up reading Marvel's What If? series (the second edition, which ran from the late 80s through the 1990s). For anyone complaining about seeing alternate versions of Marvel heroes being slaughtered, I can say that, well... that happened in practically every issue of What If? and that was two decades ago. It seemed like that series existed for Marvel's writers and artists to have fun and/or work out their issues with their employer by decimating characters.

rodrigosanche55 and Simon A like this.
  24. alexpop

What ever it is ….”
    MCU/ Disney?
    Sad in the past two years, only one that is going to deliver ( imo) is Thor ⚡️ LoveAndThunder in anticipation.. July, 2022.
    I like story/ script.. also action and if it includes amazing CGI, fine with it. None MCU related..but, The Northman doesn’t have fancy CGI + the budget’s a lot less as well. I found it way more entertaining than Dr.Strange 2022.

rock4ev likes this.
  25. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I don't mind CGI or FX's at all, it's when there is so much action and FX's that it is overwhelming is when I don't like. Plenty of great movies with none or little at all, like for a horror movie The Shinning is not graphic and only 2 die with one shown with a swing of an axe the other is just frozen, but they the movie, story, pace, thriller edge of your seat is all there without needing any "glam" or "shock" (terms used in music).
    A good product doesn't need gimmicks or very much more than purity, one can push those boundaries with originality or their style. My preferences to majority in both film and music.